THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Sep 06, 2006, 6:39pm   #1
bmarts
Brunson

bmarts
Default Opening hands Slansky vs. Harrington

Well I'm stil in the beginning stages of my poker carrier lol, but have read Harrington on Hold'em I&II and No limit Hold'em Theory and Practice by Slansky.
After comparing the starting hand requirements I am amazed to see how loose the requirements are that slansky recommends.
He says to limp in in EP with any Axs and SCs down to 54s... what the hell?!?!?
Can someone please help me out and clearify why he recommends such a loose play. I can understand it working if you're a good player post-flop but I'm sure for someone with limited experience this advice is not perticularly good or?
Thanks for any help
bmarts est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 06, 2006, 6:59pm   #2
Bokunori
Grinder

Bokunori

Umm, i think sklanskys book is for cash games, and harringtons is for tourneys.
Old Sep 06, 2006, 7:05pm   #3
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

I understand it pertains to both cash and tourney play but I think you are basically correct. I haven't read it yet.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2006, 7:24pm   #4
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Harrington is a MTT book, if you have limited post flop skills what is the best way to build those skills? See Flops, get your self in tough situations, and see what comes out. You will lose money, but in the end you will be better for it. Playing low level NL/FL you can win with a basic TAG post flop play and a super tight per flop play, but you will never/very very slowly get any better.

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:27pm   #5
mr blonde
shortstack assassin

mr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura aboutmr blonde has a spectacular aura about

But he is saying you should "limp" in and see the flop not call a raise. You also have to consider his section on the fundamental therom, it basically say's to check/fold when you don't hit the flop and bet when you do.

So you would only be losing a BB by seeing a flop, it doesn't mean you have to play it out post flop.

mr blonde est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2006, 11:37pm   #6
MannyIsGod
Professional

MannyIsGod
Send a message via AIM to MannyIsGod

NL:TP is not a beginners book. If you're looking to that book for starting hand advice, you're not ready for most of the material in there. Its a book laregely based on implied odds and theory concepts. Stick to what Harrington reccomends untill you get a better grasp on the game.
MannyIsGod est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2006, 9:34am   #7
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr blonde View Post
You also have to consider his section on the fundamental therom, it basically say's to check/fold when you don't hit the flop and bet when you do.

I never thought of that.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:12am   #8
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Badsastard

Harrington's books mostly deal with situations in tournaments where the blinds are large compared to your stack or you have an 'M' of less than 20. Limping in EP with Axs, SCs, low PPs etc are bad plays in low 'M' situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
We're doomed I tell ya, DOOMED!
Badsastard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:17am   #9
bmarts
Brunson

bmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsastard View Post
Harrington's books mostly deal with situations in tournaments where the blinds are large compared to your stack or you have an 'M' of less than 20. Limping in EP with Axs, SCs, low PPs etc are bad plays in low 'M' situations.
Sorry thats not quite right. Vol. II is about later stages of the tournament when the blinds are high, but Vol. I is about the early stages which should be comparable to the situation in a cash game.
bmarts est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2006, 11:47am   #10
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Badsastard

Ok, typically when an online tournament starts you have an 'M' of 50+ and if the table is looking reasonably passive preflop I will limp from EP with speculative hands in the hope of seeing a cheap flop and hitting it hard hard or having a good draw. However, in most cases players will be agressive from the off and so you will put yourself in a position of having to call raises OOP with speculative hands. In a freezeout tournament you have a limited number of chips and so to a certain extent the concept of implied odds does not apply as much as it does in a cash game whereby theoretically you can play an infinite number of hands.

By the third level of an online tournament if you still have the same starting stack your 'M' will typically be around 20. Players will be battling over the blinds which makes it even more difficult to see a cheap flop and so the tactic of limping with anything speculative from EP will just bleed chips away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
We're doomed I tell ya, DOOMED!
Badsastard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote