German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Sep 11, 2006, 3:40pm   #1
golgot_51
Fish

golgot_51 is on a distinguished road
Default A question from a noob!

Hi guys!

I am starting to play hold'em on internet and i have just one question to ask...
I play on Everest, and sometimes, we have to share the final amount like in these 3 cases after. Could you explain me why ( i have to precise that there is no all in on these hands).
Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english ( i am french...)

Q-Q-8-8-A win 585$ (Q and 8 from his closed hand)
A-A-Q-10-8 win 320$ (A from his closed hand)

7-7-7-10-10 win 545$ (7-10 from closed hand)
7-7-7-A-K win 680 (7-A from closed hand)

3-3-3-Q-J win 450$ (3-Q from closed hand)
7-7-3-3-A win 80$ (7-A from closed hand)

It is unbelievable because each time, one of the two hand is totaly better than the other, isn't it?
golgot_51 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 11, 2006, 4:14pm   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

I think what is happening is the losing player is getting money back out of the pot that the other player was unable to cover.

For example, if you and I are playing poker, and I put $200 in the pot with KK. You choose to call with AA, but you only have $100 on the table. (Assuming you win), after the pot is over, you will win $200 out of the pot, and I will get $100 back (from the amount that you were not able to cover).

Hope that helps explain why the losing players appear to be winning money on those hands. They're really just getting back the amount the other player failed to cover.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:03pm   #3
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

He said there was no all in. I am stumped.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2006, 5:09pm   #4
cetacean
Grinder

cetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura about

In order for pots to be split unevenly:

(a) someone has to be all in or
(b) it has to be a high/low game.

The only thing I can figure is that (a) this is a cash game (playmoney hopefully) and therefore (b) they weren't turning over the cards when there was an all in (typically cards are only turned over in tournaments) leading to (c) you not noticing that someone was all in
cetacean est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 3:54pm   #5
golgot_51
Fish

Thanks for answers!

So i am sure of "no all in" in these examples.

So i think it could be your b) answer, but what do you mean by high/low game?

Thank you.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:10pm   #6
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

In some games, such as Omaha Hi/Lo, the total pot is split between whoever has the best hand, and whoever has the worst hand. You would probably have noticed it though, if you were in a game like this. Maybe you can try to locate the hand history file for one of the hands, and post it, so that we could see what exactly is happening?

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 4:11pm   #7
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Hi/lo doesn't make sense either. The split pots would be even.

I'm voting for (c) there is something wrong with the information you're giving here.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2006, 8:23pm   #8
golgot_51
Fish

ok guys, i will give you an history file, i have been thinking about that all the day and i had not find any answer....
Old Sep 12, 2006, 10:54pm   #9
noone
Brunson

noone

It could be a high-stakes Fixed-Limnit game, such as $250-$500 (hopefully not real money if these issues aren't clear). One or both players bets or calls but doesn't have enough to bet or call the limit amount, so they are "all-in", even though it's not a No-Limit game.
Old Sep 12, 2006, 11:40pm   #10
cetacean
Grinder

cetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura aboutcetacean has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Hi/lo doesn't make sense either. The split pots would be even.
The situation to which I was referring (though I didn't explicitly state it my post) was a situation in which a pot was quartered:

e.g.,

an Omaha/8 hand

Hand 1: A2KK
Hand 2: A2QQ

Board: 3 4 7 9 T

Hand 1 wins 75% of the pot, Hand 2 wins 25% of it.
cetacean est déconnecté   Reply With Quote