THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:46pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default Value betting?

What is the definition of value betting and how is it accomplished? i keep seeing posts that refer to it and was curious. also, in what situations is VB the correct move?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 19, 2006, 1:58pm   #2
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
What is the definition of value betting and how is it accomplished? i keep seeing posts that refer to it and was curious. also, in what situations is VB the correct move?
A value bet is a bet or raise you make when you believe you have the best hand, you want to get called, and you are willing to go to showdown. Since the goal is to keep people in and increase the value of the pot, you accomplish this by betting the maximum amount your opponents will call. Estimating what amount that is depends on the players. There is nothing tricky about this bet, you are simply betting on your hand to win (as opposed to say a bluff where you are betting on your opponent to fold).

It is the correct move when you believe you are winning the pot. If you are playing limit hold-em it is your bread and butter!
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 8:31pm   #3
KillKatrell
Grinder

KillKatrell is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to KillKatrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
A value bet is a bet or raise you make when you believe you have the best hand, you want to get called, and you are willing to go to showdown. Since the goal is to keep people in and increase the value of the pot, you accomplish this by betting the maximum amount your opponents will call. Estimating what amount that is depends on the players. There is nothing tricky about this bet, you are simply betting on your hand to win (as opposed to say a bluff where you are betting on your opponent to fold).

It is the correct move when you believe you are winning the pot. If you are playing limit hold-em it is your bread and butter!
It is the opposite of a bluff, right?
KillKatrell est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2006, 9:14pm   #4
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

Not quite. Value betting is more in cases of where you have a marginal hand (or a better than marginal hand) that you believe has a good chance of being the best. Then you bet enough to get hands worse than yours to call. There is more of this in Limit than in NL. In shorthand, it is very important.

Let's say you have 109o on the button and decide to raise. The BB calls and you see a flop of Q52 rainbow. You make a bet and are called. Based on what you know of the player, he doesn't have a Q and probably has the 5 or a draw. The turn is an 8. He checks and you bet again, hoping for him to fold a hand that beats you. Instead, he calls. The river is a 9, he checks, you bet and he calls with A4s. A lot of players would not bet the river here, but it is crucial that you do.

If you don't bet your suckouts, than what's the point in sucking out in the first place?
Old Sep 20, 2006, 11:00pm   #5
tmp
Flop Artist

tmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
you accomplish this by betting the maximum amount your opponents will call. Estimating what amount that is depends on the players.
I just have to say that you don't wan't to bet the maximum amount that your opponent will call every time. If your opponent calls a $10 bet every time but a $23 bet half of the times you should bet $23 as it will make you more money in the long run. So don't try to get your opponent to call every time. If your opponents call your valuebets every time you are probably betting too small and costing yourself money(if there are cards to come you will also give them better odds to draw).
Old Sep 21, 2006, 6:00pm   #6
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp View Post
I just have to say that you don't wan't to bet the maximum amount that your opponent will call every time. If your opponent calls a $10 bet every time but a $23 bet half of the times you should bet $23 as it will make you more money in the long run. So don't try to get your opponent to call every time. If your opponents call your valuebets every time you are probably betting too small and costing yourself money(if there are cards to come you will also give them better odds to draw).

This may be just me, but I dont feel it is a value bet until the river. Before that it is just a bet.

A value bet is when I have a marginal had at the river that I feel is best. To me holding hthe nuts at the river and betting is not a value bet, also any bet before the river isnt a value bet. That is just how I look at it. Also it is more important in FL, but it is undervalued/underused in NL (people are to scared of the C/R in NL).

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote