THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:18am   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default Low limit play question..didn't hit the flop

I play the 10NL on bodog all the while trying to build my roll. so far it's come along nicely, i bought in for $50, doubled up withdrew my $50 and am currently up to $185. not huge by any means, but i'm trying to develop patience. at any rate, here's a question on a problem that i frequently run into:

I'm either in the cutoff on on the button and have a decent hand that's been limped around to me, say KQos, or AJ or any other unpaired hand that you might call a raise with. obviously in these limits, it's hard to get players to respect a raise like 3-4xBB. what do you do? BB is .10 so i raise to .40 sometimes .50 if i want to try to thin the field a bit more....the whole table calls. i miss and am forced to fold. the strategy i've been playing with is raising with ONLY AA KK QQ JJ, and calling/limping with AQ,AJ,AT,KQ KJ, AT, JTsuited connectors and middle/small pairs or other potentially profitable cards on an unraised board in position. is this smart or dangerous? also, what would you be raising with in early position. As i understand it with the micros, you're looking for premium hands in good position with the chance to take an opponents stack or close to it. can anyone provide a little insight as to what i might adjust for my play?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:53am   #2
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

A nice rule would be to add 1 BB for each limper to your raise. So, instead of raising the usual 4BB, you'd raise something like 9BB if you were faced with 5 limpers.
However, a friend of mine has recently started playing the $50 nl on bodog, and he's remarked the fact that the games are very loose (compared to Stars or Party). His solution was to just make the raises bigger. Basically, adjust your game to the table.
Dont be afraid of raising that much. Most of the time you should get a lot of blinds. Part of the time you will get calls from hands you dominate, another part of the time you will hit a strong flop (say a set of jacks). Add this up and it more than make up for the occasional re-raises or calls from hands that dominate you.
I'd stay away from raising KQ, KJ and AJo in that kind of situation, and i'd raise more with AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK, AQ. I'd raise a few blinds to sweeten the pot with suited connectors or low pocket pairs, just so i can bet more on the flop, turn and river when i hit, and stack someone.
If you stick to your raising hands (AA, kk, qq, JJ) then raising more should be clear and easy.
Doza est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:17am   #3
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
A nice rule would be to add 1 BB for each limper to your raise. So, instead of raising the usual 4BB, you'd raise something like 9BB if you were faced with 5 limpers.
However, a friend of mine has recently started playing the $50 nl on bodog, and he's remarked the fact that the games are very loose (compared to Stars or Party). His solution was to just make the raises bigger. Basically, adjust your game to the table.
Dont be afraid of raising that much. Most of the time you should get a lot of blinds. Part of the time you will get calls from hands you dominate, another part of the time you will hit a strong flop (say a set of jacks). Add this up and it more than make up for the occasional re-raises or calls from hands that dominate you.
I'd stay away from raising KQ, KJ and AJo in that kind of situation, and i'd raise more with AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK, AQ. I'd raise a few blinds to sweeten the pot with suited connectors or low pocket pairs, just so i can bet more on the flop, turn and river when i hit, and stack someone.
If you stick to your raising hands (AA, kk, qq, JJ) then raising more should be clear and easy.
good advice. would you call a raise in LP with hands like KQ,KJ and AJ?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:19pm   #4
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

Depends on my mood at the time. If i feel like gambling, i will call a raise. I generally loose big pots with these hands, so i try and stay away from them in a large mutly-way pot. If you can remember that top pair is not good versus 6 people, then you should probably call.
Honestly, if you can handle it, either fold these hands or look for 2 pair or better flops.
Doza est déconnecté   Reply With Quote