THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:49pm   #11
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree View Post
Well I don't know what the hell I am doing then.. Maybe I should quit.

No you can win playing rock solid poker, becasue the players you are playing against will such huge mistakes that they will fall on your sword. Here is the thing though if they will make such huge mistakes dont you want to play more pots with them? Unless you are in an absolute maniac game (a maniac game is were 6+ people are seeing a capped flop every hand), you can open up your game to help maximax win rates, in a maniac game I would play only AA & KK.

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:51pm   #12
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
it's been said that you can only play as well as the people you play against. for example, if you categorize poker players by their skill level in a 1-10 rating, a level 5 can only play against a level 4 and be profitable. reasoning behind this is, and i'll use your best poker player in the world example, your average player isn't going to be aware of the more complex styles of play he brings to the table. if you can't make people fold their marginal hands against your monsters, how do you hope to increase your win rate? i might play marginal hands against people who know how to play, but if donk A is going to call you all in with A/rag vs your pair, you better learn to play better cards than him. hope that made sense
This all very very wrong for many many reasons. Believing this to be true is going to stunt your poker growth in a serious way. Getting people to fold is only one way to win money, and I'd say its by far the least profitable of them all.

Last edited by Notjitsu; Oct 31, 2006 at 8:58pm.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 8:59pm   #13
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

See what I mean by "vague and ambiguous"?

Edit - way to edit your post as I write this one.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:05pm   #14
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

I don't find him vague and amibigious at all. On the contrary, I embrace a style that's unlike ABC TAG.

A growing trend here seems to be the opposite strategy would be LAG, and the common misconception is of how LAG is played, and I think that issue should be adressed more than whether ABC TAG or LAG shows more value in micros.

Edit - I know there's a post regarding tournament LAG, but the issue we're adressing here is cash game LAG which is nearly completely different.

Edit2 - By the way, heading into a micro game thinking that you're going to play TAG is utterly ridiculous

Last edited by KHSPoker21; Oct 31, 2006 at 9:08pm.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:14pm   #15
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

My 'quit' remark was based on the following.

If you are playing micro NL in a way you find boring, and you refer to it as grinding...and you aren't making enough money to be noteworthy, and you aren't trying to push your game...why are you playing?

I think sklansky was the guy who talked about the perfect game of poker. If you knew what your opponent had, and how they would react...you should want to make the play that is the most profitable and if you do, that is perfect poker.

If you knew what your opponent had, and how to they would react, you would be able to play more hands profitably. What you learn as you get better is how to better put people on a range of hands, and how to better control them in regards to putting their money in the pot. And what amounts you want to be putting in to make it profitable. Whether it be getting them to put more in, or less, or even getting them to fold. And the more control you have over these things, the more hands you can play.

The big thing with many micro limit players is that they are devestatingly predictable. So managing the pot size, and putting them on a hand is a lot easier, therefore more hands can be played profitably. No trickeries necessary.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:20pm   #16
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Okay that makes sense. From now on, whenever I get involved in a hand, I'll try to put my opponent on something, and act accordingly. This should be a fun experiment.

Quote:
By the way, heading into a micro game thinking that you're going to play TAG is utterly ridiculous
Back your statement up with some reason, please. This is unhelpful to me.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:28pm   #17
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light

Playing TAG itself is not unreasonable, but heading into a cash game and establishing that playing TAG will be the optimal strategy is completely and utterly ridiculous.

Eg. While it may be just a small, miniscule sample, the 2NL game last night was a clear example of how one should not stick to TAG. While you may have gotten one of the maniac's stacks (wont mention any names) with a big hand, odds are in appx. 221 hands (chances of getting Aces), their money will already be gone. You have to be willing to play back with more than just aces to win money from them.

You have to chase after their stack or else all that free money will be gone and you'll be facing the player that took all of it. Your play was clearly predictable and you were no where near aggressive enough to be able to win a pot.

You also commented that no one was "taking it seriously." Sure SOME PEOPLE (won't mention names) were simply throwing away their money, but aren't most micro NL players liable to throw away their money in a similar fashion? I was taking it dead serious. Obviously ABC poker could not have won against these mini-raising maniacs.

I'm not trying to rag on you, I'm just pointing out that ABC TAG players are some of the funnest to play against, and the style you were playing was almost exactly that.

Last edited by KHSPoker21; Oct 31, 2006 at 9:31pm.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:40pm   #18
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

I was throwing my money away coz i dont give a fuck about $3

EDIT: Unless it's $3 of my $25 stack in a proper poker game. Not playing against people who mini-raise 20 times pre-flop and then fold.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 9:45pm   #19
KHSPoker21
Pirate

Haha, what wasn't proper about it? There were cards, people, and money. Sounds proper to me.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:26pm   #20
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

Quote:
Not playing against people who mini-raise 20 times pre-flop and then fold.
I was raising for value.

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote