THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:21pm   #1
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future
Default When to stop the 'rebuy' tactics?

OK I played a $3 rebuy on Stars last night and had a pretty good table first up. 8 of the 9 people started with an immediate rebuy, everyone was happy to get their chips in with a half decent hand and everyone was rebuying when losing (normally double rebuy), so there was plenty of chance to get some chips early.

After about 20 mins I was in for $12 and sitting with about 14k in chips, one other at the table had 18k everyone else has 3-8k. The tournament leaders had about 30k and the average at that stage was about 4.5k.

Now my question is, should I think at this stage that I have achieved what I set out to do (get a better than average stack during the rebuy) or should I still be gambling with the others to get more.

In the end I continued to gamble against the short stacks, lost 3 coin flips and suddenly was rebuying again. I ended up leaving the tournament when I busted again 2 minutes before the end of the rebuy after putting in $36.

I was thinking afterwards that had I just sat back after 20 mins, I would most likely have spent only $12 + addon and had about double the average stack going into the break (but only about 20% of the chips that the leaders had).

This was my first serious attempt at a rebuy and I was happy with the early stages. I took lots of gambles, but the worst situation I was in preflop was KQs v ATo (I actually won that one) and the only time I put money in as a serious under-dog was going allin with TPTK against a set on the flop.

But once I got a decent stack, I was unsure how to play it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 19, 2006, 2:33pm   #2
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

With 14K i would stop gambling and start playing Poker, though it is twoard the lower edge of where I stop gambling. The average stack after the break is about 8K without the addon, so you would have looked pretty good after the rebuy period was over.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 5:16pm   #3
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

This is something I struggle with as well. I'm never satisfied with my stack, so I keep gambling, or I limp trying to catch flops and bleed that way. When I'm playing smart, I try and do all my gambling in the first 30 minutes (preferably the first 15 minutes). If you can just gamble like crazy and get 10k plus during the first level, you should probably just sit back and fold fold fold. If you find good spots to get a lot more money, you can decide what to do when they come at you (KK, two all-ins in front of you, etc). Once we're into the 3rd level, if I have a stack, I'm trying to keep it, if I don't, I'm just trying to get 8k+. If we're in the 4th level, stack protection is even more important, and if I don't have a stack, I'm just trying to get 6-8k.

The beauty of the rebuy tournaments is that even if you only have 7k at break and the chip leader has 118,000, you've got hours to make up the difference with small blinds. It's almost easier to accumulate after the rebuy period than during.
Old Oct 19, 2006, 6:17pm   #4
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Thanks CBone & Skeptix

That echoes the thoughts I had (after the tournament). At the time I was thinking that I needed another double through to catch the chip leaders, but actually that should not be the aim. I think that if you have double the average stack after the rebuy, then you are well placed to make something of the tournament. In this case the average stack when I went out was about 7000, so I would have been there or thereabouts just by folding.

The only point I would make is that 'playing poker' was not really an option (at least until the fourth level) as any raise had about a 50% chance of being allin preflop or folded. But just playing AA, KK at any time (and perhaps AK,QQ against very small stacks) should preserve your stack and leave you well placed once the rebuy is over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 5:33pm   #5
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

personally, id have a tough time folding AK or QQ plus in a rebuy tourney. As for hands like AQ and JJ, maybe keep gambooling with them against shorter stacks/people u expect to be pushing light.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 6:25pm   #6
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

I agree with joes. Although I've never won the Stars $55k or anything, I do usually succeed in accumulating a decent stack in the rebuy hour.

Even if I'm over 10k chips, I'll gamble with another big stack. I'm usually never folding AK, QQ+ in a rebuy hour, even if I have 30k chips vs another 30k stack. I've just seen the other big stack try to isolate some rebuy addict's all in, thinking there is no way the other big stack will call, with hands like AJ, AQ, 88, etc.

The range of hands for everyone is just alot larger in rebuy hour.

Here's a good example. I remember one time I was taking some frustration out on a $3 rebuy. I had 35k chips got JJ on the very last hand of the rebuy hour. Someone pushed for 3k, the other huge stack who had a little over 30k pushed all in. I called with my Jacks and won a monstorous pot.... oh wait, nevermind he had AA. Guess me sucking out is why he followed me from table cursing me for 3 hrs.

Last edited by Hustlr; Oct 20, 2006 at 6:31pm.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 12:10pm   #7
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I got a question about rebuy tourneys:

at the point the tournament starts, you pay your buy-in to get the starting stack which is equal to the av stack at that point. now lets suy you bust out in the 5th hand. rebuying costs the same as the first buyin, but now gives you a stack which is lower than the av stack! so what is the reason for that rebuy? if you would spend that rebuy money for the buyin of the next tourny, you will get more of it. Especially later on, with av stacks of 8k, i see no reason to rebuy anymore when u bust out, better save that money since it gives you less probility to end ITM then a new buyin for a new R/A tournament.

Maybe there is something wrong with my reasoning, but I think re-buying is just negative EV compared to partipating in a new tourny.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:05pm   #8
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
Irebuying costs the same as the first buyin, but now gives you a stack which is lower than the av stack! so what is the reason for that rebuy?
On most sites there is a fee on the original buy-in, but not on the rebuys thus you are paying less for the chips when you rebuy than when you pay for your original stack.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 10:19pm   #9
oojoe24oo
Doyle Look-alike

oojoe24oo
Send a message via AIM to oojoe24oo

Heres my rebuy strategy that has been pretty sucessful before I hit this horrible slump

In 20 and 30 dollar rebuys, I'll first rebuy for a total of 3k in chips then Ill play very aggressive. Ill play alot of hands including suited connectors, any cards over 10, etc.....I'll play aggressive post flop and also call down alot of times with 2nd or even bottom pair. I'll also push any pocket pair, AK,AQ,AJ,sometimes even KQ, or shit like that.

In cheap rebuys like 3 or 5 dollars Ill push any ace, any pair, kq,kj, and Ill play ALOT of hands, espicially to raises where I can pick up someones stack. Basically I dont mind spending 50 bucks here.

So you double up to around 6k....

This is when the strategy changes. You have a good stack and you cannot rebuy 6k of chips so you shoudlnt play wreckless. From here I'll still play those suited connectors provided the raises arent too high, but Ill prob stay out of the hand if the flop doesnt give me anything significant. Ill call a push with JJ,QQ,KK,AA,AK,AQ,1010. Basically Im playing alot like a freezout at this point.

So break comes and your sitting at something like 7-8k. This is a good stack to work with. Blinds are usually at 100-120. Anyways I'll double add on and sit on a nice stack of 11-12k. This is a very workable stack. From here its basically a freezout strategy.

Many argue the need to build a monster stack early on and whether or not its +EV. I believe you do not need to build a huge stack early on. Even with 20-30k in chips at break, you're still going to need to run well down the stretch to get far in the tournament. You still need to be dealt hands, win races, etc.......Granted you could outplay your opponents to get chips, eventually someone is gonna to call your bluffs and you'll need cards to survive. Ultimately if your cold decked your future looks grim.

In the end I think this is a good strategy that has worked well for me.
oojoe24oo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote