THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 04, 2007, 7:35am   #1
Xander
River Rat

Xander is on a distinguished road
Default Poker "Video Games"

Hi All,

This is my first post here. My brother got Daniel Negreanu's (sp?) "Stacked" poker game a few month back, which taught me What hold'em is. Recently, however, in the past 3 weeks to be exact, I've really gotten into hold'em constantly reading strategies on this page and trying to work them into my game.

I don't know if anyone has ever played DN's Stacked, but its very realistic, and even though its not real money, I would like to think that I'm playing as if it were, just low buy in (like $2 -5 per game or something, I can stand to lose that I think).

I play a lot of MTT's on DN Stacked, which I'm sure I couldn't do in real life right now. However, the past week, I've been really focussing on MTT Limit tournaments and my results have improvemed substantially from 7 days ago. A week ago, I would lose, often not getting to the final table. Now, I'm usually in top 6 and I've actually won some. I know this is play money and all, but the computers play pretty well.

Anyway, here's the noob question behind this post - I know my my improved results AREN'T 100% accurate, but are they 100% misleading? If I sign up on Party Poker or one of these websites where many of you play and stick to low limit tables, should I experience similar results or will I most likely get my ass handed to me?

Let me know what your experience with Poker Training/Video Games has been!
Xander est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 04, 2007, 7:44am   #2
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Interesting question, really. I have not played Stacked nor any other...umm...simulation of Poker, but I don't think that it can teach you much that is of value in real Poker, well, besides the hand rankings and very basic concepts. Then again, you are probably as prepared as anyone is when he stars playing Poker, so there should be nothing wrong with depositing a few bucks at some site and playing for real money with real people. There are also quite a few sites that give you a few dollars for free, just for signing up, so if you wanted, you could always play a few SNGs or MTTs for free and see how you do.

Oh, and welcome to the board!
Old Jan 04, 2007, 7:47am   #3
Xander
River Rat

Xander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBone View Post
Interesting question, really.
Oh, and welcome to the board!
Thanks for the welcome

I'm surprised that my question is "interesting," because I would have expected nearly every other noob to ask the same thing, haha.
Xander est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2007, 11:25am   #4
Rafvdv
Doyle Look-alike

Rafvdv

I also started playing poker on a simulator, worked my way up from $1000 to $1.000.000. This was before I knew you could play poker on internet ( 1.5Years ago ) . Then I found out about playmoney tables . saw an add from pokerroom about playing for free, so I went there and worked my $1000 play chips to $800.000.
I made some small deposit and found out how fast it's gone at the real money tables.

What I suggest you do when you want to see if your strategy is profitable in real money poker.
- Play some freerolls. $0 buy-in, and real money for the top places.
- get some of those free $10 deals . I think that with PSO you can even get a free $100 at party.
- If you want to deposit, then I suggest a small deposit on a pokerroom where you have micro limit tables like the 1c/2c from pokerstars. If you deposit $50 it's not gonna kill you, and you can either work your way up steady and move up in stakes if your bankroll allows it, or loose it and find out you have a lot more to learn to even beat micro limits.

Good luck and welcome
Old Jan 04, 2007, 4:56pm   #5
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

I think poker video games have more value in helping you become a better poker player than play money internet games do. That in mind, I question how much practicing "Stacked" is really going to help you succeed in playing real money games. Make a small deposit online and see how you think it compares.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2007, 5:34pm   #6
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

video games are better because of the AI involved with them. But that is not anything close to a decent benchmark because everything changes for you and the other players when you start playing for real money.