THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Nov 17, 2006, 9:04pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default Moving on up!...

When is it proper to start to consider moving up in limits? I currently play 10NL at Bodog and after quite a few months of grinding it out, i've increased my roll from an initial $50 deposit to $250 after withdrawing my initial buyin (personal preference). I'd like to try the 25NL tables but i'm a little leery of sitting down. I was thinking something along the lines of a roll of $500 to be comfortable. I definately want to be able to handle the swings and had a period where i was donking away money until i revamped my play. Some say the players at 25NL are about the same as those at 10NL. I've currently been taking a stab at making a serious bankroll since september, though i've been playing casually for 2 years. any advice is appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:57am   #2
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

I take it you single table?
If not you could just single tabel the 25 to try it out.
I find anything between 10NL and 25NL plays about the same. Lower than this and everyone is in everyhand.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 1:14am   #3
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

Try multitabling 10 NL or SNGs until you're rolled for 25 NL. When I moved from 10 FR to 25 6-max, I tossed about five buyins away before I figured out what I was doing. I was fortunate enough to hit an upswing when I returned to it, but you want to be properly rolled. Getting stacked should elicit a "dammit, where did I screw up" not "dammit, I can't play at this level anymore"

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 2:01pm   #4
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

yes i single table. i find that i can't concentrate enough on two tables when i try. i usually end up doing alright on one, and losing on the other. i like the idea of having no more than 5% of my BR in play at any one time. that's why i was shooting for $500 before i move up. i'd rather take it slow and be patient than get greedy and blow half my roll.
Old Nov 21, 2006, 1:08pm   #5
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

200$ in a few months playing nl10 is a bit low. I think you need to work on your hourly rate at nl10 first before you consider going up to nl25. When you feel you have maxed your rate at nl10, then it would be a good time to move to nl25, given that you have at least 400-500$.
Doza est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:45pm   #6
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
200$ in a few months playing nl10 is a bit low. I think you need to work on your hourly rate at nl10 first before you consider going up to nl25. When you feel you have maxed your rate at nl10, then it would be a good time to move to nl25, given that you have at least 400-500$.
would it matter if my average session length is maybe a hour, 4-5
days a week?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 4:44pm   #7
rickey
Doyle Look-alike

rickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
200$ in a few months playing nl10 is a bit low.
Its not the amount of time, its the amount of hands. Winning 20 buy-ins in 10k hands is great, even if it took 4 months to play those 10k hands. Not everybody plays 1K+ hands a day.

I think $250 is a little low for 25NL, unless the $250 can be replaced from an outside source. If you can afford to invest $50-$100 into your BR every month, then you're OK. But if you want to build what you have, then its too low.
rickey est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 6:13pm   #8
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
Its not the amount of time, its the amount of hands. Winning 20 buy-ins in 10k hands is great, even if it took 4 months to play those 10k hands. Not everybody plays 1K+ hands a day.

I think $250 is a little low for 25NL, unless the $250 can be replaced from an outside source. If you can afford to invest $50-$100 into your BR every month, then you're OK. But if you want to build what you have, then its too low.
good info. i don't keep accurate stats via Ptracker or other means. i play on bodog which has it's own stat tracker. i've currently played ~8200 hands since i started playing there. i'm subscribing to the 5%-in-play method of BR management, and i'll keep grinding it out until i'm at $500. a $25 buyin would be 5% of my roll. sound like a reasonable goal?
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:42pm   #9
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

By asking such questions on this site, you will get some very good advice from some very good players. I will play devil's advocate (since I am so good at it...lol!) and suggest to anybody eager to "move up" that you should be hesitant to leave a limit that you are beating consistently. You will face many unfamiliar players on which you have very few notes, and a bad run can cancel out all of your hard work at the lower limit. It's natural to think you have mastered one limit and so want to move up to make some bigger returns. This is the goal of most poker players. You also should consider the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Like it was suggested in a previous response to you, test the waters of a higher limit and see how it goes. Don't resign yourself to having to play in bigger games for any other reason than that you are beating them. There is no shame in stepping back down, especially when you are making money again at a limit you can beat.

Have you ever gone from a $3/6 game down to a $.25/.50 game just to see the difference? This shows you how there are quirks and tendencies at each level of the game. Familiarizing yourself with them takes some time so "moving up" isn't like the finality of a chess move, rather is more like a boxer bobbing and weaving back and forth between safety and a greater risk/reward scenario.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:07pm   #10
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

What has worked for me, a competent player of $3/6 to $5/10, is to fund my $2/4 games and sng's playing $1/2. One good $1/2 session can get you three or four sng's, and winning a few of those gets the ball rolling. I never limit myself to focusing on a single limt, per se. As long as I have notes on players and am having success at any given limit, I don't hesitate to "jump down" to start my day and play the rest of the day with someone else's money.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote