THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:32am   #1
ryanb9
Grinder

ryanb9 is on a distinguished road
Default PP's in 6handed NL --Speak!--

What do you guys like to do w/poket pairs at a 6handed NL cash game. I mean QQ KK AA aside... JJ-22, limp, raise, fold, ect... what / why. Can we get some different oppinions on what is best?

As for me. I raise JJ, I call 1/2 raise 1/2 w/TT and 99. And 88-22 I usually limp / call hoping to catch a set. Reasing for limping / calling. Basically I feel I need a set to win the hand w/88-22 and when I catch a set I want as many people in the pot as I can get. I will limp w/22 and call a raise for 2-5x bb. I mean if we are both very deep stacked Ill go 6x. Reasoning Is if he has a good hand and I call / catch a set, I am stacking him.

All comments / input / opinions welcome! Tkx
ryanb9 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:47am   #2
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

I raise any pair from any position. I reraise 99+, threebet JJ+, push (as in four bets or a large third one) KK+.

I am also aggressive bordering on reckless, so take that for what it's worth.

I would elaborate but I have to sleep. More in eightish hours.

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 10:54am   #3
Sneakyshadowstalker
Brunson

Sneakyshadowstalker is on a distinguished road

Ill be really specific in how Id play them:

Almost anytime I have a pocket pair in early position 66-22, Ill tend to try to limp in and get set value from them. For 77-AA, Im probably raising, and invariably raising the same with each. I wont try the limp in with large pair to reraise a late position raiser trick. Its probably not going to work, and Ill probably lose value.

Middle position: 22-44, stil probably try for set value. 55-AA raising

Late position: Raise, Raise, Raise, any pocket pair

Course, it depends on the table conditions, and the players at the table. Am I wrong to try to get set value even 6 handed?
Sneakyshadowstalker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:16pm   #4
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

I raise with any pocket pair from any postion. I reraise with 77+ and call raises with any other pair. That is against a standard Loose/aggressive player at 6-Max. A tighter player reraise with TT+ and call with all other pairs.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:32pm   #5
IWTYM
Doyle Look-alike

IWTYM is on a distinguished road

EP or MP i usually limp in with PP < 88. in late position i raise every pp about 3-4 BB.

i mostly do not reraise. with PP < JJ.

against a TAG who raised, i want to see the flop first. flop my set or wait for his action, because iam in better position.

against a maniac i do not reraise, cause this type of guys often put you all in even with TT, JJ for sure with QQ +, and i dont want to risk my whole stack with PP like 66 or sumthing like that.

had the situation yesterday. 8 BB raise from a maniac in EP, i got 99 in SB. so i know he was on a big PP. cold called. flopped a FH (339), checked, he goes allin. thank you. his KK got cracked.

Last edited by IWTYM; Nov 27, 2006 at 1:36pm.
IWTYM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 7:58pm   #6
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

I raise my pairs for a few reasons; first, limping keeps the pot small, which is awful when you hit your set and try to get all the money in. Second, people might just fold, and I'm a big fan of taking down blinds and a stray limp. Third, it makes it easier to represent scary high cards on the flop.

If both of you have over ten times the size of the original raise in your stack, you're getting set value. At 25 NL, a set vs TPTK is usually good for someone's stack. If they miss their ace, awesome, you still have the best hand. If they hit and you miss, whatever; you're the one who will be ahead on the flop most of the time, and if you both hit they're getting crushed and probably won't know it until it's too late.

You also have to raise with something in EP to mask your QQ+.

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:41pm   #7
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogboy4L View Post
I raise my pairs for a few reasons; first, limping keeps the pot small, which is awful when you hit your set and try to get all the money in. Second, people might just fold, and I'm a big fan of taking down blinds and a stray limp. Third, it makes it easier to represent scary high cards on the flop....

You also have to raise with something in EP to mask your QQ+.
I do like that input.

Well just something for the ppl who are saying they raise every pp from EP, let say u`ve got 22-66 and bumb it to 3-4BB. now LP reraises to three times that. what do u do? surrender? what do u do if he only minraises. u would be getting 1:3 or so odds on a call, which is still way below the odds of flopping a set ?

I still like the idea of raising small pp from EP, gonna da that myself more..

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:49pm   #8
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

If the guy reraises preflop, you call and you flop your set, you're getting his stack 99% of the time. Thus, calling the raise is good play if you're both sufficiently deepstacked. You're looking at implied odds more than pot odds there.

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:54pm   #9
opti0n
Brunson

opti0n
Send a message via AIM to opti0n

The pot odds here are less relevent than the implied odds. Assuming the other player has a decent stack behind (7x the amount to call or more) i'm usually calling, especially if I have position.

Edit: too late
opti0n est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2006, 8:56pm   #10
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU View Post
If the guy reraises preflop, you call and you flop your set, you're getting his stack 99% of the time. Thus, calling the raise is good play if you're both sufficiently deepstacked. You're looking at implied odds more than pot odds there.
right, but that 99% figure is a little of scale. even with the flopped set u will lose 15% of the time, its not the nuts. but u are right, its about implied odds. so it depends on how much he does raise compared to his (and ur own) stack.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote