THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Dec 20, 2006, 1:53pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default They just call call call!....

I'm running up against a lot of opponents who will just call every bet that i make. It doesn't matter if I'm in or out of position. i'll make a hand like AK with a K43r board and bet it out. usually half to 2/3 the pot. all i get is calls. board doesn't pair, not straight or flush draws and the guy turns over K4. excellent call with my .80 raise preflop

just a minute ago, QQ in the hole, raise to .80 in SB. two calls. flop comes As4cAc and i lead out with $1. EP folds MP calls. thinking he was on a flush draw, i continued to bet expecting a raise either on the turn or the river if he had an A. i find that players at 10NL like to check the flop in some effort to conceal top pair or better. well he just calls me down to the river with the A he flopped. in these situtations, is it better to observe players who make plays like this and adjust my actions accordingly? you never know if he's some fool calling with 2nd pair or actually has you beat. and the disturbing thing is it's happening more and more. how do you know where you are unless you have the nuts?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:19pm   #2
spalding25
4 betting KT for value

spalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond repute

Don'T bluff , make bigger value bets.
spalding25 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 2:37pm   #3
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding25 View Post
Don'T bluff , make bigger value bets.
but the fact is that i was behind and trying to bet to get information. i had no idea whether he had an A or a 4 or was on a flush draw. after the flat call on the turn with no other club, i figured my Q's were probably good.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:09pm   #4
pocketaces
River Rat

pocketaces

For the first hand I agree with spalding, if people keep calling your preflop raises with sh*t then make them pay for it - raise to $1 or $2 or whatever point the calling stations will start to tighten up a bit. It shouldn't take too long sitting at a table to see what sort of raises are getting two or three callers and which are being folded too.

Secondly, in my experience weak players love to call preflop raises with A-rag, so I would definately slow down if the board came AA. Perhaps you'll always lose a few chips here but hopefully knowing when to slow down will help in the long term. Of course this increases your chance of being bluffed and by no means am I adventing passive play but getting 2 calls to an 8x BB raise at $10NL I would definately put at least one of them on an A unless I had specific info or reads otherwise.
pocketaces est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:25pm   #5
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketaces View Post
For the first hand I agree with spalding, if people keep calling your preflop raises with sh*t then make them pay for it - raise to $1 or $2 or whatever point the calling stations will start to tighten up a bit. It shouldn't take too long sitting at a table to see what sort of raises are getting two or three callers and which are being folded too.

Secondly, in my experience weak players love to call preflop raises with A-rag, so I would definately slow down if the board came AA. Perhaps you'll always lose a few chips here but hopefully knowing when to slow down will help in the long term. Of course this increases your chance of being bluffed and by no means am I adventing passive play but getting 2 calls to an 8x BB raise at $10NL I would definately put at least one of them on an A unless I had specific info or reads otherwise.
point taken. i know how hard it is to hit a pair on the flop so i think i was convincing myself that he didn't have the A. even donks can flop hands every now and then. guess i should have loked a little deeper and maybe given him credit. it's when there's no raise on any street that i think that maybe they're on draws. i mean if you flop trips and you think you're ahead of your opponent, then i can see flat calling in an effort not to scare him off, but damn, no raise on any street, even the river?
Old Dec 20, 2006, 3:30pm   #6
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

You have to learn to appreciate these players. You aren't going to win every hand you play, so just sit tight and wait for them to give their money to you.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:29pm   #7
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

Dont bet for information. Its the worst concept ever, invented by someone who was trying to look smart but obviously wasnt.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:45pm   #8
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Dont bet for information. Its the worst concept ever, invented by someone who was trying to look smart but obviously wasnt.
I will from time to time re-raise preflop with a hand like JJ-QQ to try and get an idea where I stand. Gus, you think this is horrible?

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2006, 8:55pm   #9
KTC
Grinder

KTC will become famous soon enough

When you're doing well in a tournament and a similar stack call your UTG AKs preflop raise with K6 from MP and call your pot size bet on a KQx 2-suited board with no flush draw, and then turn 2 pair, that's when it hurts!

No, I'm not being bitter at all.....
KTC est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2006, 4:55am   #10
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

I think whats horrible is that you do reraise QQ PF only from time to time
Everytime someone raises, you put them on AA or KK probably and reraise to check if youre right ? You only reraise AA KK frequently ?

10 10 JJ QQ AK are automatic reraises for me PF, except against the King of Nits.

Reraising JJ is not for info, its a value reraise.

Last edited by Gus; Dec 22, 2006 at 4:57am.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote