THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:20pm   #1
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default I would like to discuss reading your opponent and putting them on ranges

I have concluded that the key to beating this game, and really your opponents, is by guessing their hole cards. I don't know where it is, KC, but I remember one line out of the many where you mentioned a list of variables so to speak to be looking out for, all the time most likely, on the felt. What I remember from that list, thinking about it more deeply now, is that at the very bottom was something long the lines of :

"Your own hole cards are the least important. You should be paying attention to your own hole cards after you've made conclusions, pretty damn good ones at that, on all the preceding variables.

Let's start from the very beginning, when you sit at a new table, assuming no previous game with any of the opponents. So now, the most important thing to be down at this point, is to establish reads on the players. Here are some things I'm looking out for:

1. Who is playing a lot of hands?
2. Who is betting agressively? e.g 1/2 3/4 bet on turn AND river
3. Who plays few hands? And when they play, do they play hard, or soft?

Should they be in an order? What have I left out. Notice, when I first posted here, my attention was focused entirely on "Making hands."

Here's the deal, what good is a medium to low flush, when theres a small pot? You want to make these hands in high implied odds situations, theres literally no point otherwise.

Also, I'm looking at the table like a puzzle. The hands I lost most money on, 56 suited etc, have to be locked into a certain position/spot to be played. I will give an example in the following, with detailed reasons of my actions. Please criticize them KC. I think I may be able to change my strategy now, optimally as swoop so eloquently described.

Hand #1

6-handed, .5/1 NLHE
Hero is on button, having posted blinds, with 38.50. Has played two hands. Everyone folds. At this point, I've only played two hands, so the only thing I know is that the SB and BB are left, and they have 102 and 192 respectively. Based on this, I felt that if I raised, which was 2x, to 2, it was more likely I'd get two folds with 100% equity on the hand, since they probably wouldn't defend with anything weak against a short stack raise.

The BB called.

FLOP: Ts 6c 7c

I bet 2. BB raises to 8, I min reraise to 14, he goes all in, I call.

BB shows KTdd

Hand #2
Hero UTG with 22 63.80

Hero raises min to 2.

BB calls. But I had information on the BB from earlier hands. He would usually call me from UTG, and then C bet the flop. I figured he can't hit the flop EVERY time. Plus, Im' beating AK which is a lot of hands.

Flop : 8s Kc Qs

With BB first, he checks that board. That could mean one of two things only, either a) he missed but has a sick draw and called with J9 or AT etc, or b) has a set or top pair top kicker and is slow playing and trapping me.

Turn: 6d

The BB now leads for 2.85, and I raise him to 5.70. He only called, which verified he was probably drawing.

River: 4d

BB checks, and I check, showing 22 the winner.

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 14, 2015 at 9:39pm.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:55pm   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I'm not going to answer your poker questions any more, and I encourage everyone else who wanders in to do the same.

You have a serious gambling problem. I'm not going to help you perpetuate it.

Kc
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:04pm   #3
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

And you don't listen anyway.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 6:48pm   #4
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Well then, that's cool. There's enough information on the boards within the past few years anyway that I can search for the answer to any questions I have on my own.

Take care.

And oh yeah, while it may be true I'm addicted to playing poker, there are worse addictions out there more harmful to health. The only thing that poker hurts is my wallet and net time on earth, if I continue to lose. Win or lose, I'm going to keep playing, because it's the only thing I enjoy doing.

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 23, 2015 at 6:53pm.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:21pm   #5
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

That is both wrong and pathetic. Any addiction is something to rid yourself of.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:29pm   #6
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

I'm addicted to coffee, but it keeps me awake during the day. Should I actively try and stop? Nah, here's a better example, people addicted to working out/exercise. That's something they should rid themselves of, really?

Plus, I know it's pathetic. I'm a loser, and not only do I admit it I accept it. My heart still beats though, and I'm still breathing, so what can I do? Just gotta live out the rest of my life as a pathetic loser.

One last thing: Extracted all the rich information from the past 4 years, comes out to ~60 pages

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 23, 2015 at 8:32pm.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 4:28am   #7
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Feud,
If you want to play poker just to play and not win, then no need for the forums. If you do want to win, you would honestly be better off reading past stuff on this forum and other forums. I agree with KC that you have a gambling problem. I think seeking professional help would be EV+ long term for you.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:35pm   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
I'm addicted to coffee, but it keeps me awake during the day.
it probably doesn't. studies suggest that after about two weeks of regular caffeine use you build up sufficient tolerance to render its effects negligable. what prolonged use actually does is reduce the effects of withdrawal.

Quote:
here's a better example, people addicted to working out/exercise. That's something they should rid themselves of, really?
probably. for one thing, overexercise can cause myocardial fibrosis and ventricular arrhythmia. overworking the adrenal glands will eventually cause testosterone deficiency, and the carbohydrate rich diet that comes with compulsive exercise can also lead to damaged blood vessels and diabetes. then you have the adenosine triphosphate/oxidative stress problem, as regular surges of free radicals increase your likelihood of developing cancer, heart disease, alzheimers and all kinds of other unpleasant shit. oh, and there's the physical stresses going through your joints every time you smash your foot into the ground or lift the heavy thing over your head, but that's fine. it only costs about $50000 to have a knee replaced and you'll never be expected to play with your grandkids or tie your own shoes again.

beyond this, any compulsive activity will negatively impact your life. your relationships will suffer, your work performance will suffer, nobody will want to spend any time with you because all you talk about is running, and you will miss that new show everyone is talking about and have to get the box set but you never get round to watching it because you're half way up a mountain in the middle of february and anyway they've all moved onto a new show because that one really lost its way in season 3. when you have an addiction, it consumes you. it becomes your life.

Quote:
Plus, I know it's pathetic. I'm a loser, and not only do I admit it I accept it.
have you considered doing something about it?

Quote:
My heart still beats though, and I'm still breathing, so what can I do? Just gotta live out the rest of my life as a pathetic loser.
well shit boy, why are you playing poker? if this is your attitude then you need some needle time with sweet lady morphine. you'll die quicker, and the time you do have will probably be more pleasant. plus there is no variance with a healthy and fulfilling heroin addiction. you don't have to wait on getting that lucky card to feel those delicious neurotransmitters; every time you shoot yourself full of that shit you feel good. keep upping your fix to stay ahead of the tolerance, and eventually you'll overdose. just make sure you're found by another fiend who'll steal your shoes and leave you to die, rather than someone who actually cares about you.

so, are we going to spend the rest of our life wallowing in self-pity, or are we going to actually do something about it?

Kc
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:22pm   #9
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

I played live on average 3 hours since Saturday night to yesterday, and busted.

Saturday I won 60 dollars, Sunday I lost 80, rebought 80, and left with 150. Yesterday I bought in for 80, down to 30, shove with A8 get 3 callers, turn a set of 8s with top kicker, then was back to 100. I was given a chance to double that stack, again, told myself I was going to follow the chart to the letter, and instead called a 20x preflop 3 bet with J9hh out of position sand wiched between the initial raiser, and the 3 bettor. Obviously I lost money on this hand missing the flop being in trash position, having risked 50% of the stack on a spot that will lose 99/100 times.

Obviously, I was tilted, upset that I made the same mistake ive been making all these years, again, when the game is actually really easy and stress free if you're not making plays like that. Back down to where I was, 30, AJ in the BB facing a near family pot for min bet of 2.

If I wasn't angry at myself for losing half my stack for absolutely no reason, I would have checked as I usually would here, because I don't like AJ anymore and holds as much weight as KJ basically to me. I've lost more than won with Aj. Instead, I shoved with the remaining 35 I had, and got called by the fattest, ugliest piece of garbage with the worst poker etiquette ever. He called with the 75dd and hit trips on a flop of

A 5 5 Q 2

Am I upset? No, I'm upset because I have to wait and get through diarrhea life to play again.

It's also possible i'm subconsciously afraid of having a lot of money, and further more afraid of being successful. so I continue to behave like a loser. It's almost as if, I know, by not paying my opponents in a shitty spot like the j9 one, i leave myself more money to double up with when i have the nuts on them. All three games i started with 80 and by playing too soon found myself at 30, which is when i started to play abc tight, then after getting a nutty hand post flop with a nutty preflop hand, make weak calls and get back to 30 , the more money i have in front of me the more afraid i get of going all in post flop as a favorite which generally works out

Furthermore, I support my claim of the fat man having bad poker etiquette because id played with him on day 2. Somehow I managed to contain myself because he was sitting to my right, waving his fat hand in front of my face constantly and being loud and obnoxious. He called my all in because he specifically wanted to eliminate me, regardless of the action or the price, he had several hundred in front of him. Funny how the ugly fat pieces of garbage in the world are the ones who have all the money, and manage to hit trips with hands that are supposed to miss nearly all the time. Like I said though, that was my 9th or so all in after 3 days of them holding up, which is another reason why Im not upset because of that. I'm upset because I wouldve check folded the limped pot in the bb had i not ruined my stack with j9 out of position.

Anyway though I do admit you're right I do have a serious problem...hopefully one day ill work it out. Be well, peace to all

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 25, 2015 at 12:37am.