THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 14, 2007, 9:15am   #1
icefish
Brunson

icefish is on a distinguished road
Default "Show Winning Hand"

Is there ever a good reason to show the winning hand?

E.g.

a) You steal (i.e. open-raise from OTB, CO, MP3) and everyone folds. When do you show your hand?
b) You bluff someone out of a big pot.
c) others?
icefish est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:24am   #2
wDawks
Brunson

wDawks
Send a message via AIM to wDawks

I don't think so, bad players don't pay attention and good players will...and will play you better because of it....I only show like, straight flushes/quads when I win with'em without a SD...just for shits.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:16pm   #3
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

A guy did it once in a mtt, and i found it to be good use of the feature.
He had a big stack and had stolen a lot of pots lately. He manages to steal a 3-way pot on the turn with a big bet in a big pot, then shows total crap unconected, crap that he shouldnt have even played preflop (well, he open raised, got a call and the bb called.
So his image was tottal shit : loose aggresive, bluffer, atc every now and then, makes moves etc. He was aware of that and he showed the crap to enhance it to the max.
Then he tightened up for the next few orbits, and the next big pot he played he actually had the nuts, but ofc nobody believed him (people in a 5$ field wont go too deep).

So, if you're planning an image chance, or switching gears, it might be good to show.

Another example : I was once the table short stack in the 3$ rebuy after the break, since i had a bad beat and got from chip leader of the table (13k stack, 100 bb or something) to 2k stack, 100=bb, everyone else with 8k+. Ofc, i was pushing a lot of cards and stealing a lot from position. Luck has it that during that session i was dealt AA and KK about 10 times in an hour, and most of the times i pushed with them i didnt get a call. But i showed them every single time i had them, and it created an image for me at the table "wow..this guy is lucky, he actually gets good cards to push with". Showing those good cards kept my folding equity high, and my image reasonable. So, when you're looking to keep a good tight image, show some of your "steals" where you actually have the goods.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 12:22pm   #4
wDawks
Brunson

wDawks
Send a message via AIM to wDawks

True, all of that is textbook...showing generates an image. Me personally, I don't like to give away info (assuming any1 is paying attention) I don't want people thinking they have a read on me either way....that's just me, but yeah you can show or not depending on your purpose...personal judgement....everyone does diff. shit it's all up to you and your objective at the time....
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:07pm   #5
icefish
Brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
So, when you're looking to keep a good tight image, show some of your "steals" where you actually have the goods.
Yeah, but won't thinking players who know you're no fish now assume that you like to steal with weak hands. They know you show your cards to generate a tight image, and a tight image only helps you if you like to steal.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:30pm   #6
spalding25
4 betting KT for value

spalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond repute

I hardly do it. An exception might be players who tilt easily after being bluffed out of a big pot.
spalding25 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:48pm   #7
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefish View Post
Yeah, but won't thinking players who know you're no fish now assume that you like to steal with weak hands. They know you show your cards to generate a tight image, and a tight image only helps you if you like to steal.
You're not supposed to be playing against thinking players who know you're no fish. Even if they are at the table, avoid their blinds (in a mtt). Also, for small limits, the % of thinking players is irrelevant.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:54pm   #8
icefish
Brunson

Quote:
You're not supposed to be playing against thinking players who know you're no fish. Even if they are at the table, avoid their blinds (in a mtt). Also, for small limits, the % of thinking players is irrelevant.
Okay I respect your opinion but IMO once the shark fish ratio becomes 80/20, which is about average for the games I play unfortunately, I think it's very relevant.

But I'll show off some strong hands in our home games where the shark/fish ratio is close to 0/100 :-)
Old Jan 14, 2007, 2:08pm   #9
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Against sharks you could always go up a level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icefish
They know you show your cards to generate a tight image, and a tight image only helps you if you like to steal.
So you tighten up instead of stealing with bad cards vs sharks. Or maybe they know that you know that they know you steal with weak cards, so they wont resteal on you because they know that you expect them to resteal. It can get even more complex.

But i have to admit, vs sharks it's more of a pain than a gain.
Old Jan 14, 2007, 3:24pm   #10
icefish
Brunson

Quote:
Against sharks you could always go up a level.
I don't understand.

Quote:
So you tighten up instead of stealing with bad cards vs sharks. Or maybe they know that you know that they know you steal with weak cards, so they wont resteal on you because they know that you expect them to resteal. It can get even more complex.
I was speaking about a standard reverse tell, nothing complex. Your line of reasoning sounds too theoretical/overanalyzed to me.