THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 04, 2007, 9:06am   #1
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo
Default AQ OOP Many Limpers

Sorry I'm new to NL and may ask dumb questions.

Full Tilt Poker Game #1730740656: Table Cabana - $0.50/$1 - No Limit Hold'em - 4:57:29 ET - 2007/02/04
Seat 1: StampyDodo ($133.75)
Seat 2: LFE888 ($120.60)
Seat 3: Shooter23 ($13.55)
Seat 4: nickeldime5 ($101.65)
Seat 5: rickelles ($144.15)
Seat 6: BigRedd81 ($62.35)
Seat 7: Count Scoopula ($98.50)
Seat 8: ronnyroger ($108.70)
Seat 9: Timmo8 ($62.90)
StampyDodo posts the small blind of $0.50
LFE888 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #9
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to StampyDodo [Qc As]
Shooter23 calls $1
nickeldime5 folds
rickelles has 15 seconds left to act
rickelles calls $1
BigRedd81 calls $1
Count Scoopula folds
ronnyroger folds
Timmo8 calls $1
StampyDodo ?

What should I do with AQ here? Should I raise to like 5bb even though im going to be first to act on the flop?
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 04, 2007, 9:29am   #2
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

This is a situation I have a few problems with. You have no idea what people have here, but I would guess a mix of smaller pairs and A8-AQ.

In my experience, a raise to $5 isn't chasing many people away here. The first caller is still getting 2:1 on their money, later callers even better. So you just build a big pot OOP against a big field with a marginal hand.

Limping keeps the pot smaller, but again will leave you with problems post flop unless you hit it really hard.

I am currently trying a raise to $10-15 to try to take it down now. Even if I don't then usually I only get one caller (hopefully not rickelles). My guess is that shooter is coming with you whatever, but you want small pairs not to have the implied odds to continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 9:34am   #3
StampyDodo
Doyle Look-alike

StampyDodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by expopcorn View Post
This is a situation I have a few problems with. You have no idea what people have here, but I would guess a mix of smaller pairs and A8-AQ.

In my experience, a raise to $5 isn't chasing many people away here. The first caller is still getting 2:1 on their money, later callers even better. So you just build a big pot OOP against a big field with a marginal hand.

Limping keeps the pot smaller, but again will leave you with problems post flop unless you hit it really hard.

I am currently trying a raise to $10-15 to try to take it down now. Even if I don't then usually I only get one caller (hopefully not rickelles). My guess is that shooter is coming with you whatever, but you want small pairs not to have the implied odds to continue.
That's a good idea, I actually just called thinking i wouldn't scare anyone off with any normal sized raise.

What if i had a real hand like QQ KK or AA should i raise to like 9 hoping i get 1 caller?
StampyDodo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 9:45am   #4
Icebreaker16
Doyle Look-alike

Icebreaker16
Send a message via AIM to Icebreaker16
Default experience

depends on the table most of the time for me, if it's a lose table you either have to just limp or raise it up like $12-$15. If it's a tight table then $5 should get your heads up, at worse 3 way.
Icebreaker16 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 11:18am   #5
Petroz
Doyle Look-alike

Petroz is on a distinguished road

I think it's pretty standard to raise significatly (at least $10) like people said and then bet 3/4 pot on the flop almost regardless of what comes (if you get headsup) and the play would be the same with AK, QQ and KK. You want to price out the drawing hands like mid/low PP and suited connectors. This also widens your range for making a big raise so when you do it with AA/KK you can get callers.

If you are worried about being dominated a call is better than a $5 raise, but the problem with being OOP with a hand like this is you can flop a good hand but you're only normally getting action from hands that beat you. In a multiway pot one pair is less likely to be the best hand so raising to narrow the field is crutial IMO.

-Petroz

Last edited by Petroz; Feb 04, 2007 at 11:20am.
Petroz est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 2:23pm   #6
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

Overbet the pot 1.5x-2x and hope to take it down. One or max two callers is ok, since you'll cbet and probably take it down on the flop. You want to get the hand over fast, since you're oop. You also dont want to have a top-pair type of hand in a multiway pot.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 2:49pm   #7
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Only problem I have with raising it up to $10 is to have rickelles put you in a whole world of hurt if he calls.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 5:19pm   #8
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHSPoker21 View Post
Only problem I have with raising it up to $10 is to have rickelles put you in a whole world of hurt if he calls.
You're only gonna *play* the turn and river. Raising itself is +ev, cbetting in a 2-3 way pot is +ev. On the turn, you might have a hand (hit the a/q) or might assign your opponent on a flush draw and try to second/3rd barrel him.
Old Feb 04, 2007, 5:51pm   #9
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

I probably make it $6-7 and expect to be threehanded or HU on the flop, which doesn't make me that happy but I'm okay with it.

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2007, 6:01pm   #10
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

I don't know firing a c-bet into a 3 way pot with AQ is asking for a severe beating.

Your safest flop would be Q72r and even then a flat call after your bet would be very discomforting.

On the other hand, would you fire a barrel into a K98 board? If so, let's say a $15 bet.

We've spewed $25 on a K high flop. Let's pray for a fold.

To end my rambling, I just really don't like overplaying AQ here.

Let's hope for folds all around.

Last edited by KHSPoker21; Feb 04, 2007 at 6:43pm.
KHSPoker21 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote