THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:04am   #1
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about
Default New Hyperaggressive SNG Strategy

To preface I'll say that for the past day or two I've been excercising a very aggressive style in SNGs. I almost ALWAYS come in for a raise or don't even bother playing a hand. Rarely call unless there's a minraised pot for example and a lot of callers then I'll limp with a pocket pair for set value. I'll rarely call a bet unless it's small and I think I can make a play for the pot on the turn or something. My range for raising has increased for late position and I almost ALWAYS C-bet and am happy to fire a second one on the turn with a scary card. Turns out I'm usually not the only person who's scared. I have more variance in my stack but I tend to gain chips more than lose them. I almost ALWAYS raise any pocket pair (onl in middle and early stages, late-middle and behind I'm more selective and base my decision based on the blinds and my stack). I'm not afraid to keep betting top pair with no kicker if people just keep calling. Even middle pair if I feel I probably have the best hand. I take down a LOT of pots without showdown. Of course if the table is really loose and crazy I will slow down and let people have their fun and tighten up for a little bit but I've felt more in control playing this way. Believe it or not I think even the donks come to fear playing against me because they seem to give me more respect for my betting and raises (this may not be true, I dunno). The biggest thing I've found is that calling and checking almost ALWAYS means weakness, as long as it's not too fast. If people call really fast on a scary board it seems to mean they have a hand that probably beats me but they are scared to raise. However people usually tell me when they have me beat and I can get away. When I'm the aggressor I find it's a lot easier to tell what others have. BTW I was inspired by this guy:

http://www.gidders.com/

I've had fairly good results so far and I'm pretty excited, but obviously it's over a small sample size. Who knows, maybe I've just been getting lucky. I have been hitting a lot of hands but then again most of the time I don't have to show down and the hands I've been "hitting" and winning with aren't the ones I would probably continue with normally so maybe that was a leak of my game before. We'll see, just wondering what people might have thought.

Last edited by WaxHaX0rS; Feb 14, 2007 at 7:15am.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:34am   #2
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I notice on sharkscope that his ROI has come down a bit from the 50.65% he boasts on his front page! (It's still pretty good mind you.)

Good luck with your new strategy. How many SNGs are you playing at once and what stakes?
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:27am   #3
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

seems like absurdly high variance. Do you still pushbot the bubble?

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:27am   #4
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

I just recently moved up to $5.50 after grinding away at the $1.10 ones for a couple months. I managed to move my way up to about $155-$160 from my original $50 this way by playing a tighter aggressive game. I started the $5 games last Thursday and have increased my bankroll by about $100 since then which I am very happy with. My ROI is currently 27.84% over a sample size of 64 SNG's. Hardly large enough to draw any definite conclusions but I'm happy so far. Hoping to maintain or increase that ROI. Oh, and I ALWAYS 4-table. It seems to suit me best for now. I'd dabbled in 6-tabling and I can do OK but if I was in the bubble in too many of them it would get too fast. I always start up 4 tables as close together as possible and don't start up another set of 4 until I'm done with all of those.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:39am   #5
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogboy4L View Post
seems like absurdly high variance. Do you still pushbot the bubble?
I'm not sure what this exactly is, I googled it and found something on 2+2 and I don't think I do this.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:05am   #6
angusg
Bot on tilt

Basically it means that around the bubble and/or when the blind levels get high, you go all-in a lot with quite a wide range of cards as long as you're first into the pot and conditions are favourable for picking up the blinds (eg you're not pushing JT into a loose passive big stack but you might into a weak-tight medium stack). And pushing is pretty much your only move, you rarely make standard raises and you rarely play postflop pots. It's a very popular strategy esp. among people who multitable massive numbers of turbos.

The reason why lots of people recommend an ultra-tight game in the early stages is that in single table SNGs, there is a certain value in just doing nothing and waiting for people to knock each other out that doesn't exist in MTTs. You get to the bubble much faster, and if you play the bubble well you frequently have an edge over whoever is left, even if they've donked themselves into a big stack. So I think whatever style you use when you play MTTs, your STT style should logically be a few degrees tighter in the early stages.

NB there are also those who disagree with this approach, of course.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:51am   #7
Petroz
Doyle Look-alike

Petroz is on a distinguished road

I assume he's taking about multi-table tournies.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 1:22pm   #8
angusg
Bot on tilt

Sorry to piss on your inspiration, Wax, but the sample video at that gidders.com site is pretty hilarious. Things I learned:

1. If you're making a steal raise, do it as quickly as possible so that it looks like you have a premium hand.
2. If you have a premium hand, raise as quickly as possible to make it look like a steal raise.
3. If you are the second-shortest stack and you have K3o in early position, a good play is to make a standard raise, as the other players (who all have you covered) will be scared to reraise you because they don't want to go out before the short stack does. Impeccable logic!

There is also some brilliant footage of him giving shoutouts to his buds in the chatbox and checking out a P5s thread about himself.

(In fairness there is also a fairly good discussion of restealing but really, he wants people to pay for this stuff?)

Last edited by angusg; Feb 14, 2007 at 1:28pm.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:01pm   #9
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

Most of what I got out of his site is that calling is usually the worst move you can do and to be the aggressor... a lot. So is checking especially after you've already fired at the pot. If I sense weakness even after they call my first C-bet on the flop, I will c-bet a second time sometimes whereas I never would before. Also to almost always raise my pocket pairs (even low ones). My reasoning for this is I don't want to limp my pocket pairs and have only 1 or 2 other people limp with me. I want someone to come in with good cards who will pay me off if they hit and I hit as well. Sometimes I take down the pot preflop. Also often enough I am able to steal the pot with a half-pot C-bet when I dont hit. And other times I have the best hand if I have 99+ and the flop is all less than 9. I watched that video and I while I found it entertaining it definitely was the an ideal example. One thing I especially disliked was that he said that once he got to 7th it was just like a freeroll because in that tourney 7th place paid what he'd normally make for 1st in a normal STT. Obviously the guys a big dork but I read most of his articles and definitely got something out of it. I don't worship the guy, I don't give a crap if you insult him or his play. I've also felt that his site was shady but that doesn't invalidate any ideas I might get by reading the articles no matter how illogical some of his plays/claims are. Anyways, like I said, we'll see what happens.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:04pm   #10
Frogboy4L
spewing station

Frogboy4L
Send a message via AIM to Frogboy4L

If you're routinely double barreling you're probably spraying chips all over the table. Like, yeah, aggression is awesome, but there's a line.

(the link works now)

frogboy4Lpoker.blogspot.com
Frogboy4L est déconnecté   Reply With Quote