THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:21pm   #1
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough
Default Short stacks

I hate short stacks. I hope they all die and recently there seems to have been a massive influx of these annoying little bastards at NL25 and 50. I use to sit to their left and when they pushed i could get out of the way and let some other poor shmo call with his AJ or 88 and more often than not lose.

But i have a new strategy that seems to be working quite nicely. If you sit OOP to them so you're either on the button or at the cut off when they're in the big blind. Then anytime it's folded around to you, you open mini-raise >>>>>>>>>>ANY 2<<<<<<<<<<.

More often than not they wont have one of the 15 or so hands they push with. This means every time you do it you pay 2BB to win 1BB. Do it twice and you're 2BB's up which is the BB's you lose when they push.

If they start to get sick of you doing this then that leaves them with a decision. They can't have a clue what you're raising with and they know you're only investing a miniscule amount of your stack whereas they have to invest a massive 10% of their stack to see a flop with KT or 44 and as long as your careful post-flop then they're sets wont get paid and they end up raking fuck all.

I don't know what the other guys at NL25/50 think about this tactic but it's been working pretty well pour moi thus far. I haven't had one come back over the top yet and i must have taken down 10 or so BB's.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 15, 2007, 2:53pm   #2
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

A good shortstacker can be a pain in the ass. In my limited experience (25 NL and below, so take it FWIW) most shortstackers just suck ass and make stupid calls preflop with speculative hands for a quarter of their stack all the time.

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:25pm   #3
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Except for the minraising part I like it.

But you need to define what you see as a short stack and how short the table is.
And 10BB, well you know about this sample size issue...

For me a shorstack is 50 or less BB. What you are talking bout is 10 or 20BB thats ultra short. Hard to pull a profit with that little. I dont think these guys are serious, nor are they one group you can file away as the "shortstacks". Your play is ver player dependent indeed...

maybe take some more time to introdue a new strategy. Your idea isnt bad, but the post is.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 5:45pm   #4
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

Better than the shite you spew while "helping" other posters.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:11pm   #5
martl
Doyle Look-alike

martl is on a distinguished road

Well, every serious player (even the shortstackers), will call a min-raise from the BB with every hand better then 52o. Better then 3-1 Odds is a nobrainer call.
martl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:23pm   #6
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got 6 Aces View Post
it's been working pretty well pour moi thus far. I haven't had one come back over the top yet and i must have taken down 10 or so BB's.
Erm?
Old Mar 15, 2007, 8:55pm   #7
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got 6 Aces View Post
Better than the shite you spew while "helping" other posters.
And for a minute there, this thread almost made you look like a decent contributing member.
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:04pm   #8
tegger
Flop Artist

tegger is on a distinguished road

i like to play short stack games. all you are waiting for is your allin hand.

it doesn't matter how many chips the others got or what they are doing. i fold everything and wait for my AA, KK, QQ.... maybe JJ...

so your strategy doesn't work against me. but maybe against most of the other short stack players...
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:25pm   #9
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegger View Post
i like to play short stack games. all you are waiting for is your allin hand.

it doesn't matter how many chips the others got or what they are doing. i fold everything and wait for my AA, KK, QQ.... maybe JJ...

so your strategy doesn't work against me. but maybe against most of the other short stack players...
This is the reason it works.

Let's say it's at NL10, everytime i mini-raise i take your big blind uncontested for 10 cents. So as long as i get away with this 2 out of 3 times then i break even and you're not seeing a pushing hand like JJ+ more than 2 out of 3 times so it's definately a (+EV) strategy.

You need to bear in mind that if someone's already entered the pot with either a limp or a raise then you don't get invloved. You only ever open-miniraise. This tactic is literally only ever when you're pretty much HU against the short stack.

It's a flawless tried and tested tactic.

Jokeslayer - *Yawn* If i want your opinion i'll give it to you.
Old Mar 15, 2007, 9:29pm   #10
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Somebody pursuing a shortstack strategy for whatever reason is making a serious mistake foldint to a min-raise from an opponent in steal position.

People making such mistakes are not aware of the fact that they are playing a short stack strategy. They are simply playing bad.
Exploiting bad play by minraising is not a good choice IMVHO.

Nonetheless it is a valid point that short stacks (20-40BB) usually tend to give up their BB's more quickly. The reasons for that are partially apparent, and partially even game theoretically correct.

If thats what you want to talk about, why somebody (a decent player) would defend his BB less often with a short stack than the same player with a medium-high stack, I like the thread.

If you want to talk about minraising fish and gaining 10BB doing so, oh well.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote