THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:00pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default LAG switch?

I play the 10NL ring games on Bodog trying to build my roll from ~$300. I've successfully built it from a $50 deposit late last year. I have my share of leaks that I've been trying to plug along the way. Generally, basic strategy is TAG ABC. I'll play all pocket pairs/suited connectors/suited one gappers/Axsuited cheaply or when in position. Lately i've been trying to really loosen up my starting hand requirements from other positions since at a lot of tables, I'll be facing players who don't raise the pot pre-flop, or make it cheap to go (min-raise). this is often the point that i'll lose 4-5 buy-ins and revert back to my TAG ABC play to build it back up.

I often hear about people that think they're LAG that border on being maniacs. Is there any sort of guideline or rule of thumb about starting hands/position/etc.. that a LAG player would employ during his game? I feel that currently, a lot of micro limit players are catching on to what I would call standard play, and are less apt to call my value bets on the turn/river when i make a strong hand, thus I get paid off less. I can attribute this to my TAG style; not playing hands for a few orbits and suddenly coming in for a raise or at the least, calling a raise in position. When you haven't played a hand in three orbits and get dealt a monster, it's hard to successfully limit the field to one or two players with a raise.

I believe my post flop play is fairly straight foward and kinda easy to pick up on. Unless I flop something like a set or two gap straight that's fairly deceptive, I'm less likely to get called on the turn when I check the flop as it's become standard practice almost for all players to think they're "trapping" the other player. This translates into hands that I'm ahead and trying to do the same thing to them. Are there any good reads out there for post flop play strategies, or is it all player/situation dependant?

Sorry for the incoherant ramblings and thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 29, 2007, 9:34pm   #2
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Firstly, when playing TAG why not bet your big hands on the flop, if you don't get called on the turn anyway then you are just giving up value by not betting the flop. Besides at $10NL I think slowplaying anything worse than a flopped straight is giving up value, even then you are likely to get a call.

My view on playing LAG is that you are not playing your own cards until you get a call on the flop! You are playing the players and their tendency to credit you with a decent hand. The other thing is that you want to play most hands when you are in position. I will raise almost ATC on the cutoff/button if there is no raise before me when I am playing LAG. The style you play should be based on the table dynamics. If there are lots of showdowns then stick to TAG, if few hands reach showdown then loosen up but stay aggressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 12:17am   #3
IWTYM
Doyle Look-alike

IWTYM is on a distinguished road

playing on bodog is just simple. keep your TAG strategy, bet the flop if you made a strong hand (eg. i raised preflop, flop the nutflush/straight, then i bet the flop). always c-bet. sometimes show them a bluff, to get action on your monsters.

put in some standardraises with SC, if you will win i pot with that, people will remember, and call your preflop-raise if you got aces.

always be aware of flush and straightchasers on bodog. in microlimits there, they even play 72 against a 6BB raise, just because its suited..
Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:24am   #4
sachmulligan
River Rat

sachmulligan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sachmulligan Send a message via Yahoo to sachmulligan

ok what is TAG, LAG, and ATC?
sachmulligan est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 3:49am   #5
Badsastard
Sick, Sober and Sorry

Badsastard will become famous soon enoughBadsastard will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Badsastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmulligan View Post
ok what is TAG, LAG, and ATC?
Tight Aggressive, Loose Aggressive and Any Two Cards.

The first two refer to styles of play which aren't really advocated on PTips as we tend to prefer the Weak Tight approach. You won't find this approach in Harrington's or Slanskys' books, however, the WT strategy will not fail you ever.*

GL Sir.

*Disclaimer: Not strictly true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
We're doomed I tell ya, DOOMED!
Badsastard est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2007, 11:40pm   #6
sachmulligan
River Rat

sachmulligan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to sachmulligan Send a message via Yahoo to sachmulligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsastard View Post
Tight Aggressive, Loose Aggressive and Any Two Cards.

The first two refer to styles of play which aren't really advocated on PTips as we tend to prefer the Weak Tight approach. You won't find this approach in Harrington's or Slanskys' books, however, the WT strategy will not fail you ever.*

GL Sir.

*Disclaimer: Not strictly true

Thank you for clarifying
sachmulligan est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 11:40am   #7
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
basic strategy is TAG ABC. I'll play all pocket pairs/suited connectors/suited one gappers/Axsuited cheaply or when in position.
I don't consider this to be a TAG style. TAG would be playing 15-20% of your hands and raising/re-raising about half of them. You are probably playing a lot more loose passive than you think, by limping in and hoping to hit big with a lot of speculative hands.

This can be profitable at low limits, as the tables are often very passive. But that means that everyone is generally playing the same loose passive style, and the most profitable strategy is one that counters your table.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:30pm   #8
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
I don't consider this to be a TAG style. TAG would be playing 15-20% of your hands and raising/re-raising about half of them. You are probably playing a lot more loose passive than you think, by limping in and hoping to hit big with a lot of speculative hands.

This can be profitable at low limits, as the tables are often very passive. But that means that everyone is generally playing the same loose passive style, and the most profitable strategy is one that counters your table.
after a bit of reflection, i think that you're right. i am playing way to many hands still hoping to hit a good flop. still adjusting and evaluating, but just playing from position and overbetting with monsters from EP has worked so far. at least in the short term.