THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Closed Thread

Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:08am   #1
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough
Default Are you a frustrated beginner?

If you're a frustrated beginner then a lot of your focus in poker remains with luck.

An 0.01/0.02 or 0.05/0.10 player will experience a lot more bad beats than a 0.50/1.00 player does. This is simply because the technicalities at NL100 are to a point where the good player knows he's beat and folds on the turn instead of pushing all in and obtaining a suck out.

This is one of the most frustrating things to overcome when you start playing poker due to the fact that it happens so much, many, many times a day and it costs you money when it does. Also it tends to put the player in question on tilt meaning they lose a whole lot more cash. That $50 you just made over the course of the week has almost completely dissappeared in 2 sessions because your aces got cracked for a full buy in and then you went on tilt to watch another 3 buy ins vanish.

But here's the deal newbies. Here's the reason micro-stakes are there and here's the reason you must learn to deal with suck outs. Viewing your poker play from the following perspective will help you to understand the correct way to look at the game.

Before i continue if any of the better mathematical posters here are reading this, the figures i use are just a representation to make explaining this easier. They aren't actual poker figures in any way.

I'd like to use $NL10 as the example level. Let's say these players make a GROSS (total before losses) income of......

1 - A very good NL10 player (a break even NL50 player) makes 70 BB's an hour
2 - A good NL10 player (a break even NL25 player) makes 45 BB's an hour
3 - A slightly better than average NL10 player makes 30 BB's an hour
4 - An a break even player makes 20 BB's an hour

You get dealt (AA) once every 220 hands so we'll say AA,KK,QQ once every 75 hands. Let's say you lose a full buy in to a suck out on average once every 4 times. So that means you lose 100 BB's every 300 hands.

Now we take a look at how this suck out affects the final figures for each player after 5 hours play.

1 - +250 BB's - $25
2 - +125 BB's - $12.50
3 - +50 BB's - $5
4 - 0 BB's - $0

As you can see when you look at the bigger picture, the luck involved over the 5 hours has a different effect on each one of the 4 players. This is because as you go up through the levels, each player has a better understanding of the technicalities required to play. Every single player in poker experiences the same amount of luck, how you play either side of the bad luck will define how much the luck has an effect on your bank roll. Your ability to take a step back and look at your results on the table as a whole will seriously help you to overcome the tilt that bad luck creates from losing a single hand.

Remember that you could make 500 BB's in a week through playing good technical poker. Then luck can easily take 200 of them away when someone calls your all in push with only a flush draw and sucks out. Learning the correct way to react to that will save the other 300 BB's you've worked so hard to make.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:29am   #2
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Spoken like a true frustrated beginner. Nice speech.

Easy now brother. I was just wondering what motivated you onto the soapbox this evening?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté  
Old Mar 30, 2007, 7:53am   #3
MikkeD
Poker Hobo

MikkeD is a jewel in the roughMikkeD is a jewel in the roughMikkeD is a jewel in the rough

Glad I never thought about all that negative stuff, or I'd maybe never have got started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJqswLi3uE

nm

I get a penny here and there - it's like a flock of doves left and each of them pooped 1c into my account.

What the medications can't do - let Floyd do the rest.

*sigh* Used to be a good site.

MikkeD est déconnecté  
Old Mar 30, 2007, 8:30am   #4
kid hustlr
Professional

kid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got 6 Aces View Post
1 - A very good NL10 player (a break even NL50 player) makes 70 BB's an hour
2 - A good NL10 player (a break even NL25 player) makes 45 BB's an hour
3 - A slightly better than average NL10 player makes 30 BB's an hour
4 - An a break even player makes 20 BB's an hour
???

You can't just make up stats and hope people will believe you

"lucky in love, unlucky at cards", you must have bought yourself a fuck by now.
kid hustlr est déconnecté  
Old Mar 30, 2007, 10:22am   #5
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

I am confused by your post all together.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:12pm   #6
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid hustlr View Post
???

You can't just make up stats and hope people will believe you
Yeah, 76% of people know that. LOLSIMPSONS
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:40pm   #7
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

It was a post for frustrated beginners ONLY that can't see past the luck factor. It was to help them see the bigger picture when it comes to poker.

Axis i'm not your brother, we played some micro-stakes together, this doesn't mean i like you.

MikkeD, congratulations i'm glad you wouldn't have needed this.

Kid i see you didn't read the whole post, the figures weren't maths they were merely a representation. You must still be pissed off that i flamed your protegee, protajay, protgay..........whatever.

And theonlythree i see you're still contributing to the forum with sterling posts.

It's not that you don't undestand the post, it's that you missed the point of it.
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:04pm   #8
rickey
Doyle Look-alike

rickey

You need to exhale before you post. nh.
rickey est déconnecté  
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:25pm   #9
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Dear Frustrated Beginners,

Most small stakes players play poker like Got Six writes. Obv, long term you are good. Keep chunking.

regards,

jt

jimmytrick est déconnecté  
Old Mar 30, 2007, 5:50pm   #10
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Dear Jimmy,

You are correct about my inability to write things in a way that is easily understood. For that i apologise but i was always crap at English.

Regards

Rickey i mastered breathing aged 3 thankyou very much.