THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 03, 2007, 9:46pm   #21
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is a mistake to think that if you are crushing a certain level then it is naturally time to "move up."

Certainly there are bigger profits to be had at the next level, but if it ain't broke then don't fix it.

If you are playing for fun and to make enough money to play more poker then keep doing what you are doing. Take some of your earnings and take a shot at a higher level but stick with what got you there and protect that bankroll.

This obviously doesn't apply to those who's primary objective is advancing through the ranks, rather is for small-time players that may think they are somehow expected to make the jump up because they are having success. If your are killing the $5 tournaments then keep doing it.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 08, 2007, 1:49pm   #22
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

I have been waiting for someone to say it but since they haven't, what is this shit about playing tight at NL25?

Even if you want to play TAG, every TAG should know how to play LAG, excuse me but do you advocate waiting to NL600 to learn a LAG game?

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 3:22pm   #23
Grisu_1981
Grinder

Grisu_1981

I would think that to play a Loose-Aggressive Game you need to play an expert postflop game and you need opponents who can lay down hands. Your winnings from playing loose aggressive come from sniffing out weakness and punish it as well as the occasional monster that is called because of your image. With people playing a rather wild game in the microstakes I wouldn't think that LAG becomes profitable (as in better than tight aggressive) until NL 200 at least but the number is just my estimate so proof me wrong.

The original post is great advice. Thanks
Old Apr 08, 2007, 3:59pm   #24
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

It's not playing LAG or TAG on whatever level. It's picking the right style which is most profitable for the table.

OP left this part of the game out. JT's right, you have to be able to play LAG and TAG and take advantage of how your opponents are playing.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 6:53pm   #25
Grisu_1981
Grinder

Grisu_1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHSPoker21 View Post
It's not playing LAG or TAG on whatever level. It's picking the right style which is most profitable for the table.

OP left this part of the game out. JT's right, you have to be able to play LAG and TAG and take advantage of how your opponents are playing.
True. Thing is however that most people at NL25 won't have the postflop-skills to play a LAG game. Correct me if I'm wrong there but I was lead to believe that a LAG approach to poker leans heavily to rewarding postflop abilities. The problem is that even (or especially) the most sophisticated postflop play will be completely lost on your average NL25 or less player (that is an assumption, please correct me if I am wrong). But if the section where my edge comes from is completely lost on this level (on average) I cannot hope to use or even improve that section of my play because I will not get an idea of what can and cannot work. I have to move up some levels to find opponents that understand the basics and can then begin to exploit my edge or learn to move beyond the cards I am holding.

So basically I see two problems with advertising trying to learn LAG at NL25. First our player trying to learn a LAG approach to the game will not have the postflop skills to exercise it correctly. Second problem is that even a correctly exercised LAG game will backfire more often than not if people don't give a damn about what cards our hero might be holding and only play their own cards. How can our hero hope to exploit weakness if the game is very random and any action at the table can mean almost anything?

I would say that everyone should try to get an understanding why and how LAG can and does work as a style. But you also need to know your own and your level's limitations. If you find a table full of TAG's at NL25 or less by all means go for it and try playing and learning LAG there. On average however I would say that those tables are very rare at NL25 and the learning possibilities are not there. A more important lesson to be derived from that understanding I mentioned above is how to bust a LAG at NL25.

Sorry I am babbling along . Just my thoughts free for correction and discussion.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 7:10pm   #26
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Part of being a good LAG players is idenitification of the weaker players. I strongly don't advocate practicing LAG at higher levels unless you have an incredibely large bankroll as well.

All bad players have weaknesses. It is your job to identify the weakness and exploit it. They are NOT random. They may seem random, but if you pay enough attention, they all have their patterns and you want to attack and take their money before someone else does.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:02pm   #27
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

The good thing at the micros is that most people are not deceptive. Everyone has a pretty clear pattern (if you're pacient enough to spot it) and playing the players becomes very easy. Higher up i suppose that most people will start being deceptive, but it's amazing at the micros that every time a player makes a small bet he'll fold to a raise, or that every time he checks the turn after betting the flop he is afraid of that turn (lets say a flush draw just hit, or a straight draw) and will fold to aggresion.

So, because most people are giving you tons of info about their hand, you can play profitably LAG at micro stakes.
Old Apr 09, 2007, 3:55am   #28
assitoni
Professional

assitoni is a glorious beacon of lightassitoni is a glorious beacon of lightassitoni is a glorious beacon of lightassitoni is a glorious beacon of lightassitoni is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to assitoni

I think theres not such a thing in moving in fixed Limit holdem since the 5/10 players arent any better the the 2/4 ones though the regulars might be tougher...

In Fl you need 3 things to move up imho

1. a large enough Bankroll (minimum 500BB for sh games, i suggest 1000BB)

2. you need a good table and seat selection, that means if you move up and sit to the left on an uberfish theres nothing you can make wrong

3. you have to run decent
assitoni est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2007, 7:25pm   #29
jimmydeadace
Doyle Look-alike

jimmydeadace is on a distinguished road

Right this is for the original poster really. I am playing at the micros and playing well and winning and i understand everything at NL 25. Problem is my bankroll is only $56. Should i keep playing NL 10 til i grind my way up to the $250 or will this be detrimental to my game play?
jimmydeadace est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2007, 7:30pm   #30
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Think for a second. 25 NL with a $56 bankroll...you've got 2 buy-ins. 2 bad beats in succession and you're broke. If you don't mind that, go ahead, but I'd say your chance of going busto sooner or later is at least 75%.

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote