THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Apr 08, 2007, 5:53pm   #1
Adman
Doyle Look-alike

Adman is infamous around these parts
Default Running bad..........real bad.

I am running bad at the moment, really bad. 6 of my last 7 sessions have been large losses and it just doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I have had the longest string of putrid hands I have ever seen. You know when you play for 4 hours and almost every single hand you get is 2X or 3X? When I finally do get a hand like AK of spades for example, I'll cap it pre-flop and the flop will come down 678 of hearts and it will be capped by the time it gets back to me. When I hit a set (very rare) it is almost guaranteed that my opponent will hit a runner runner flush or straight, usually using one of their hold cards. I'll watch in despair as the board goes club, club, club, club. When I finally do make the nuts I split the pot 3 ways. I'll get my money in with AQ v A2 and my opponent will spike his kicker on the river against me every time. I could not count the number of times my opponents have called me down with small pocket pairs when I hold AK on a board of AK8 only to hit their 2 outers on the river. You are supposed to hit one flush draw for every 3 you play on average. I can't remember the last time I completed any kind of draw. When you get pocket Kings, an Ace should appear on the flop only around 23% of the time. When I get Kings an Ace comes 100% of the time, of course the river is always a King after I have folded. Don't even get me started on Queens.

I have taken the most brutal beats imaginable lately and I'm really proud to say I don't think I've tilted a bit. The worst thing is my opponents sense the fact that I am losing and I know they are taking shots at me. When I raise pre-flop and then bet out on the flop I get raised almost every time. My blinds are being pounded with raises relentlessly and there is nothing I can do about it since my hands are so bad I couldn't defend if I wanted to. I think this is because my opponents know I am not getting any hands or hitting any flops and they know it is easy to push me off a hand. The last thing I want to be doing is calling down with Ace high all the time. It's so frustrating when you know you are the best player at the table and you are getting crushed by opponents seeing 75%+ of flops and raising 30%+ of their hands.

I am playing very tightly at the moment but I haven't slacked off on the aggression in my game. The worst thing you can do when running really bad is to go all passive since you know you are going to get sucked out on anyway. At times like these I actually hate poker. I'm just a spectator in the game at the moment, not a participant. Except for the one hand in forty where I do enter a pot only to dump a mound of money to some fucking fish moron. I have had longer losing streaks before but never one so intense and so brutal. I really am lost at the moment- it just seems like things will never improve.

I'm lucky I have a very large bankroll for the limits I play- I know I'm going to need it.

Last edited by Adman; Apr 08, 2007 at 6:00pm.
Adman est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 08, 2007, 7:28pm   #2
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
I am running bad at the moment, really bad. 6 of my last 7 sessions have been large losses and it just doesn't seem to be getting any better.
When it's 60 of 70 that's running bad. 6 of 7 losing is just a blip, especially for limit. That said, I hope things turn around for you. And remember the bankroll is your best friend - remember to treat it as such.

You know I have no problem with vent posts (when they're reasonable, like this one, I actually think they're a good thing), but I just wanted to post in here before the flaming begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 8:34pm   #3
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
When it's 60 of 70 that's running bad. 6 of 7 losing is just a blip
That's true enough. I've had swings like this last a couple of months. Just try to suck it all in, safe in the knowledge that good decisions will pay off in the end, regardless of how long this streak lasts. And when it all gets too much don't be afraid of taking a break to recharge your batteries a bit.
riccohb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 8:37pm   #4
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

You got some selective memory going on....clearly you are on tilt.

I suggest you switch games to clear your head...prolly not to something like PLO, but something that will change the negative thinking that you have going on. Other than that.....

You can only check yourself for proper bankroll management and play through. Or take a break.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 08, 2007, 8:55pm   #5
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytrick View Post
You got some selective memory going on....clearly you are on tilt.
Jimmy, not that I want to try to teach you logic (heavon forbid), but just because he's pointed out a bunch of hands where he's got 'unlucky' (results were less than long-run EV) does not de facto mean he has selective memory, unless you're speaking about this current trend versus his whole playing career (and even then it's not a logical necessity that he has 'select memory').

I think you can at least give him credit that he's probably not imagining it all in these last 7 sessions, even if you might have a plausible contention that he might have 'selective memory' over his whole career. But this was obviously not your contention, because that 'selective memory' would have nothing to do with tilt.

Why must it be that anyone who thinks they're 'running bad' must be imagining it, even when it's a short, and perfectly plausible probabalisitcally speaking, downswing?

Quote:
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
Old Apr 08, 2007, 8:56pm   #6
TWLLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytrick View Post
You can only check yourself for proper bankroll management and play through. Or take a break.
Agreed, although 'taking a break' will do nothing to change random events. I'd focus on ensuring you're practicing proper bankroll management, not tilting or taking crazy shots to try to win back losses.

Quote:
Old Apr 08, 2007, 9:04pm   #7
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

TWLLM, go back and read his post. He was either exaggerating the extent of the bad cards or his mind is doing so. This is tilt. Period.

Get a grip.

Taking a break when on tilt can break the negative thinking mindset. Christ man, what are YOU thinking?

Old Apr 08, 2007, 9:08pm   #8
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Aggression works better at the poker table than the poker forum.
Old Apr 08, 2007, 9:22pm   #9
jimmytrick
Professional

I am not saying Adman is not running bad, I am sure he is. But he is also on tilt IMHO. Let me highlight the evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post

I have had the longest string of putrid hands I have ever seen. You know when you play for 4 hours and almost every single hand you get is 2X or 3X? When I finally do get a hand like AK of spades for example, I'll cap it pre-flop and the flop will come down 678 of hearts and it will be capped by the time it gets back to me. When I hit a set (very rare) it is almost guaranteed that my opponent will hit a runner runner flush or straight, usually using one of their hold cards. I'll watch in despair as the board goes club, club, club, club. When I finally do make the nuts I split the pot 3 ways. I'll get my money in with AQ v A2 and my opponent will spike his kicker on the river against me every time. I could not count the number of times my opponents have called me down with small pocket pairs when I hold AK on a board of AK8 only to hit their 2 outers on the river. You are supposed to hit one flush draw for every 3 you play on average. I can't remember the last time I completed any kind of draw. When you get pocket Kings, an Ace should appear on the flop only around 23% of the time. When I get Kings an Ace comes 100% of the time, of course the river is always a King after I have folded. Don't even get me started on Queens.

I have taken the most brutal beats imaginable lately and I'm really proud to say I don't think I've tilted a bit. The worst thing is my opponents sense the fact that I am losing and I know they are taking shots at me. When I raise pre-flop and then bet out on the flop I get raised almost every time. My blinds are being pounded with raises relentlessly and there is nothing I can do about it since my hands are so bad I couldn't defend if I wanted to. I think this is because my opponents know I am not getting any hands or hitting any flops and they know it is easy to push me off a hand. The last thing I want to be doing is calling down with Ace high all the time. It's so frustrating when you know you are the best player at the table and you are getting crushed by opponents seeing 75%+ of flops and raising 30%+ of their hands.

I am playing very tightly at the moment but I haven't slacked off on the aggression in my game. The worst thing you can do when running really bad is to go all passive since you know you are going to get sucked out on anyway. At times like these I actually hate poker. I'm just a spectator in the game at the moment, not a participant. Except for the one hand in forty where I do enter a pot only to dump a mound of money to some fucking fish moron. I have had longer losing streaks before but never one so intense and so brutal. I really am lost at the moment- it just seems like things will never improve.

I'm lucky I have a very large bankroll for the limits I play- I know I'm going to need it.
Of course he is on tilt. Does he need to eat a bullet to prove it?

Adman, it happens to us all. Don't go busto. Break the negative thinking cycle in your mind. As long as you are in the grip of this abnormal condition you CANNOT be making correct decisions at your normal level.

It will get better.

Old Apr 08, 2007, 11:01pm   #10
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Jimmy just because someone is on a downswing does not mean that they are on tilt. I have had a bunch of downswings much longer than the one posted here I did not tilt at all. It gets to the point where I just laugh at the poor luck because it just becomes amusing to me sadly.

Adman a 7 session negative really is not uncommon. Not recently because this March and April were good to me but last year I had a run where I lost 27/30 sessions. Took some absolutely gross beats and missed every flush and straight draw. But I played through and my winrate was back to normal after a nice upward swing that took only 20k hands.