THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 09, 2007, 3:19pm   #1
Jazzman
River Rat

Jazzman is on a distinguished road
Default $5+0.50 SNG - Flopped straight.

Blind level IV 50/100, I have $2815 in chips and pick up Qs Kh on the button. If it's folded to me, I'm going to bump it up a bit and hopefully pick up the blinds, if not - I don't mind seeing a flop with. But 2 other people decide to limp before, so I limp after them - and I get the dream flop.

*** FLOP *** [9d Js Td]

It's checked around to me, so I lead out for 2/3 of the pot hoping to drag along any ace or the idiot end of the straight, and don't want to give any free cards to a flush. Everyone calls.

*** TURN *** [9d Js Td] [4s]

Nothing too scary on the turn, except another flush card. Small blind bets 500 into a 1600 pot. Two callers, so I bump it up 1K more to make sure no flush draws are coming along with us to see a relatively cheap river. I get two callers.

*** RIVER *** [9d Js Td 4s] [6d]

There's the flush card - at this point I have 915 chips, so I'm all in now regardless of that scary card. Small blind checks, mid position puts us both all in and we both call. Even if it's pretty obvious he got the lucky river here, I have to call - don't I? At the time I tried to justifty it by hoping he was on a spade draw and missed and was trying to scare us out with the 'I'm putting you all in' thing. But I flopped a straight on the button and have most of my chips in the middle, so I'm not folding. Ever.

Seat 1: petrassi (small blind) showed [Jh As] and lost with a pair of Jacks.
Seat 5: rene866 showed [4d Ad] and won (8675) with a flush, Ace high.
Seat 9: Johnjazz (button) showed [Qs Kh] and lost with a straight, Nine to King.

Should I have pushed the turn? Was I wrong in raising the turn? Should I have flat called so I could have left myself with enough chips if the river did 3-flush the board? I think if I push the turn, A4s isn't calling - but TPTK with AJo is as he has around 200 less than me on the turn and thinks he's good.

I think I played it pretty well - and someone got lucky on me on the river, which seems to happen often on PokerStars, I can handle that - but I'd still like to know if I played this in a way which is 'going to make me money in the long run' against people chasing the flush and TPTK, or any advice on how you would play it different.

Cheers guys.
Jazzman est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 09, 2007, 3:21pm   #2
ChilloutNoob
wat

ChilloutNoob is on a distinguished road

Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

Push The Turn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jayhawkhoops: you're a remarkably talented player, ChilloutNoob. i wish you weren't so rude ... but maybe if i was as good as you, i'd be doing the same. it must be fun knowing that you're better than anybody else at the table, so i really can't blame you
ChilloutNoob est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2007, 4:28pm   #3
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

Agreed, push the turn
Old Apr 09, 2007, 5:32pm   #4
cpsof95
Flop Artist

cpsof95 is on a distinguished road

You only made the flush draw guy pay 1K for the river card to win about 8K. That's a good deal. Had you pushed, I'm not sure if he had the odds the call, but at least they would have been a lot worse.
cpsof95 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 09, 2007, 6:12pm   #5
Bokunori
Grinder

Bokunori

I raise to 400-500 preflop. Why?
  • I want to take control of the hand
  • I don't think the limpers dominate me, and I want information
  • I want to isolate the pot to HU, or 3 way action
  • I have position
  • I don't want to have to make a difficult decision on the flop (KT9 flop, or something weird like that)
  • Theres 350 in dead money out there, I want to make sure a lot of it stays dead. I want to be able to steal the pot on the flop.
Anyways, I think you could have played this better. The flop bet was fine, but I think I can get more from a 5 way pot. I would've bet at least 3/4ths of the pot here.

The turn is where you made a big mistake. The SB bets 500 into a 1600 pot. Everyone calls, making the pot 3100 to you. You only raised it to 1500, giving the SB 4.6 to 1 (Good odds for flush), and the next called 5.6 to 1 (Even better odds + some implied odds). I push all in on this turn. 1900 more probably wouldn't have changed the result here, though. The guy with Ad 4d would be getting better than 4 to 1 on a 21.5% chance to hit.

Main points
  1. Raise preflop to increase your expectation, you have a lot going for you, and not much going against you
  2. Bet more on the flop. This flop likely hits more than one of them, so charge them
  3. Push the turn, while your equity is very high.
  4. Also, call me weak, but I don't think I pay off on the river, with a third player in.
Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:51pm   #6
p0kerpr0
Fish

p0kerpr0 is on a distinguished road

You played it well. You bet trying to get rid of the flush draw. The turn comes another spade not at all a scary card. And you bet again if you push the turn you might not get action that you would hope for from soemone with ace jack. But you did bet enough. It was played well people get lucy, I disagree with pushing the turn, because you were probably gonna be called anyways. The only thing you did wrong is call
WHEN YOU KNEW YOU WERE BEAT.
p0kerpr0 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2007, 1:04pm   #7
spalding25
4 betting KT for value

spalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond reputespalding25 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0kerpr0 View Post
I disagree with pushing the turn, because you were probably gonna be called anyways
Uhm isn't this a reason to push?
spalding25 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote