THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:40pm   #1
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack
Default Do you play these hands?

Playing at 10NL on Bodog, I'm often dealt medium strength hands in early or middle position. Hands like KQos, KJ, K10, QJ, Q10, etc... Generally, these tables are passive, with lots of players seeing the flop for the BB or a min raise. I've been playing these hands with a "flop it or done with it" (looking for two pair or better) mentality as people will often min raise with junk. Is this a bad play?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 11, 2007, 5:56pm   #2
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

A beginners biggest mistake is playing too many hands.
Especially OOP.
Especially in early position.
Learn to fold trash hands like KT. They are not worth it.

I said it somewhere else already, I am only playing 10 hands proftiable from UTG*:
99+, AQ, AK, QJs, JTs

At a very weak table you might be able to play more hands profitable from the early position. But QT or KT arent one of them. 87s is much better. As is 22. Uner certain circumstances even 86s is better than KT.

And your simplification of "flop it or drop it" might help you a little, but you should realize that texas holdem is much more complex than this.
People say it for a reason, QT and the like are trap hands, because
A they are weaker than they seem and
B its hard to play them well postflop.

Learn to fold in early and middle position.

*10 handed, NL50-NL100, small sample size and approximated

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:11pm   #3
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
A beginners biggest mistake is playing too many hands.
Especially OOP.
Especially in early position.
Learn to fold trash hands like KT. They are not worth it.

I said it somewhere else already, I am only playing 10 hands proftiable from UTG*:
99+, AQ, AK, QJs, JTs

At a very weak table you might be able to play more hands profitable from the early position. But QT or KT arent one of them. 87s is much better. As is 22. Uner certain circumstances even 86s is better than KT.

And your simplification of "flop it or drop it" might help you a little, but you should realize that texas holdem is much more complex than this.
People say it for a reason, QT and the like are trap hands, because
A they are weaker than they seem and
B its hard to play them well postflop.

Learn to fold in early and middle position.

*10 handed, NL50-NL100, small sample size and approximated
alright thanks. one of the reasons i ask is that if i DO play TAG i'm folding a lot (and rightly so) but when i get a hand to raise or see a flop with, i'm not getting much action.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:13pm   #4
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Sticking with suited broadway cards in early position is a good idea. I try to stay away from suited connectors under 87s. I will play suited aces on a passive table, this is probably hard to be profitable with unless you have great reads on some of the players.

AQo, I hate in early position and AJ goes in the muck.

Some folks advocate dropping small pairs early on the theory that you will run into fewer undersets that way...but I play them.

KQo is the prince of dark hands .....drop that sucker.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 7:14pm   #5
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

You will play QJs UTG but not AJs?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:22pm   #6
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
I play the suited AJ and dump the off suit.

Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:25pm   #7
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
yeah cause AJ does only make one straight.

Your right AJs and QJs are close, you shouldnt fold AJs, but its not profitable for me

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:33pm   #8
jimmytrick
Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
alright thanks. one of the reasons i ask is that if i DO play TAG i'm folding a lot (and rightly so) but when i get a hand to raise or see a flop with, i'm not getting much action.
What I do when faced with passive tables is loosen way up in late position and come in raising. You will take down the blinds a lot until you reach someone's threshold and they start to give you action.

Or, and this is probably better, find a table with more action.

You definitely do not want to loosen up out of position to cure this problem, IMO.

Old Apr 11, 2007, 8:42pm   #9
jimmytrick
Professional

You probably need about a quarter million hands to get a good read on what is playing well for you in early position in a full ring game. In a smaller sample you would likely see KQs doing well from one seat and badly from another because you really aren't talking about that many hands. At UTG+1, KTs is my fifth best hand net, but thats only 11 hands dealt in that position out of a 35K sample.

I've played a quarter million hands easy, just don't ask me how to combine these databases.

Here is one clue about position, two thirds+ of my net winnings has come from the last three positions (of nine).

Old Apr 11, 2007, 10:09pm   #10
Bokunori
Grinder

Bokunori

At the bad, passive tables on bodog, I'm likely playing hands that flop big hands (I.e. suited broadway cards, any pair if the conditions are right [Deep in money+Calling stations+Multiway pots}