3. QQ
  4. AKs
  5. AQs
  6. JJ
  7. KQs
  8. AJs
  9. KJs
  10. AKo
While much of these hands are listed in the top ten starting hands on other websites, I was wondering if while playing 250 PM SNGs these are the only hands that should be played on. & at times I believe I should strictly adhear to the above top ten hands. Yet, I've found much success in high suited cards, as well as high connectors. What I'm asking for are you honest opinions about which starting hands should be played in 250 PM SNGs, I realize that these tourneys are infested with maniacs, but once it gets down to it, there are people I consider semi-advanced players. I'm extremely new to playing online poker & am extremely young compared to most as well, so any help would be greatly appreciation.

- Speciation
Speciation est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:49am   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Saying KJs and KQs are better than AKo is pretty awful advice. Aside from saying that, I don't think I can offer much play money tournament strategy.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 2:51am   #3
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Telling someone to only the top ten hands is usually terrible advice.

Are those the 10 best hands? In most cases, yes, but not in all. It depends.

Should you play only those hands? In most cases absolutely NOT, but in some cases yes. It depends.

The better you are at poker than your opponents, the more hands you should play, unless your advantage over your opponents comes completely from your tighter preflop hand selection.

Read the strategy articles on this site. You'll change your outlook fast.

regards
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:07am   #4
Speciation
Flop Artist

Speciation is on a distinguished road

Oh, alright. Thanks for the reply. I will take a look @ the articles. I've just started playing seriously (at 15-years-old) & am working to improve my poker skills. What would be, in your opinion, the things I should work on mastering first? I've figured I should start with pot odds, preflop/postflop skills, etc. Would that be a solid place to start?

- Speciation

Last edited by Speciation; Apr 25, 2007 at 5:32am.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:23am   #5
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Tight preflop hand selection and pot odds are the correct first two things to focus on, IMO. But don't get hung up on a rigid starting hand chart since hand values are situational. If 8 people had limped into a pot, I would rather play 33 preflop than KJ.

However, I would recommend, if you can, that you put a minimum amount of money into an account and play at least penny level real money games. You will not learn to play poker at play money tables.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 3:59am   #6
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

Um...Boilermaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speciation View Post
I've just started playing seriously (at 15-years-old)
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:09am   #7
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
You will not learn to play poker at play money tables.
I hear this a lot and I've never understood what this could possibly mean. Why should we define poker as anything but a 5 card game played by trying to get chips through betting? If you're narrowing it down past that, why stop by excluding play money? You could just claim that only the WSOP is real poker and that the difference between low buy in tourneys and televised poker is just too big to be considered the same game at all.

The distinction just seems a little illogical to me.

regards
Old Apr 25, 2007, 4:19am   #8
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

Is there a play money site that has some kind of ongoing competition where people play for prizes and the like? (Similar to a pub poker league.) This might be a good option for an underage player. I imagine if there is something at stake you will get more realistic competition than the normal play-money tables at Stars or wherever.
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:37am   #9
Speciation
Flop Artist

Speciation is on a distinguished road

As far as skill level goes, which online poker site would offer up higher-skilled players? Currently I'm playing Full Tilt. & a lot of the people I've played are either maniacs or just do not know how to play the game. I wouldn't mind playing with an experienced player from this forum, if anyone would be up for it. I need someone to analyze how I play & just give me overall criticism & guidance. I will do the research (reading articles, etc.), but experience is key. So, if you'd be up to helping me out this way, either message me or post directly to this topic. Again, any replies are greatly appreciated.

- Speciation
Old Apr 25, 2007, 5:49am   #10
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

You'll need to actually jump into real money to even start to see play that begins to resemble thinking poker. unfortunately, the play at the penny level where you might be able to buy in isn't much more advanced than that at the play level. it would do you well to study the game as much as possible, and try to read some literature as well. Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is a great asset and would be a good place to start as it's got solid info that wouldn't be over your head.