THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 10, 2007, 9:55am   #21
mercury
Brunson

mercury is on a distinguished road

First and for all: stay cool - go to school (if you need a second opinion on that read Barry Greensteins "Ace on the River". )

If you play to fill your leisure time but still want to become really good at it, read the poker strategy section on this site. It really contains everything you need to know when you start. But you better read some books later on.

for the playmoney thing: at the lowest possible level, they are worthless. But if you stick to "correct play" you ll be soon able to play the higher ones, and competition will improve. I'd recommend pokerstars playmoney SnG's, as soon as you reach the 80000 buyins, you are on a level that is pretty similar to the micro-buyins (even better sometimes). Your aim should be to become a playmoney millionaire and (more important) apply concepts you LEARNed to your play, trying constantly to improve. with several millions of playmoney you might change them into real money on some sites (at a rate of 1mio/10$) and start playing for real.

as soon as you reach that level, you might wanna switch to low-limit holdem. read the sklansky-book on it, concentrate on improvement of your postflop play, and try to win on a constant base. though not as exciting as NL, limit can bring you unlimited gains in the long run if you play correctly. After 2 years or more (15 years?, spare some time for the girls! ) you'll have developed a nice bankroll, the skills and hopefully your character (the most important ingredient for success) to be able to play real poker with real people for real money and make a real living of it in the long run (if you wish). GL4that.

Seriously... grow up guys.

He asked about a hand and deserves to get a useful reply. Its the only way to get better."

"Go with ur guts... better to make a bad fold than a bad call."
mercury est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 10, 2007, 3:07pm   #22
Speciation
Flop Artist

Speciation is on a distinguished road

mercury -

i appreciate your reply. my previous post was just a hand i thought i'd share. i was pretty thrilled, & although i realize the all-in move is a bit 'donkish,' i figured darianpark would call my all-in after his raise, as he had been doing so (raising with premium hands preflop) for the duration of my time @ the table. i wasn't so much concerned w/ grand_hustler31, since he had been playing suited connectors & low pairs. regardless, i can't really consider playmoney games @ such low stakes to be of much help, other than on a fundamental stand-point, & even then i'm not feeling as if i am learning much. i've read some of the strategy articles on this site, but i hope to become well-verse in them in the next week or so (or month, depending on if i choose to spend my time on the computer a lot). i've got a lot of questions brewin', mostly regarding bet sizes, what's a proper bet to steal a pot, etc. & again, i realize that most of the time, bets of any size will, the majority of the time, be called in low-limit playmoney games.

i intend on doing as you suggested & playing pokerstars playmoney SNGs. i will dl pokerstars tonight & get registered & all that jazz. what i would really like to do is track my performance. i know checkyourbet.com is good for cash money games, but what about playmoney games? is there a spreadsheet i may dl that you know of?

again, thank you for the reply & once i start workin' toward the 80,000 playmoney buyins, i will post my progress, hands i would like comments on, & general questions i may have that may arise during the process.
Speciation est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 5:10pm   #23
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speciation View Post
i intend on doing as you suggested & playing pokerstars playmoney SNGs. i will dl pokerstars tonight & get registered & all that jazz. what i would really like to do is track my performance. i know checkyourbet.com is good for cash money games, but what about playmoney games? is there a spreadsheet i may dl that you know of?
Do you ever play real money? If not, you could use CYB but substituting the playmoney amount for an equal dollar amount. That would work just as well.

Alternatively, you could use an excel spreadsheet (or whatever) with buy-in, amount won, no. of players etc.
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 8:32pm   #24
mercury
Brunson

mercury is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speciation View Post
mercury -

what i would really like to do is track my performance. i know checkyourbet.com is good for cash money games, but what about playmoney games? is there a spreadsheet i may dl that you know of?
i recently installed the Poker Tracker Software and it works perfectly for play money as well (just checked it).
maybe you can even find it on one of the p2p networks as well (bittorrent e.g.) along with some poker books, if you like to study them as recommended.

PS:
maybe you wanna check this one for your "poker career" later on -->
http://www.pokerprofessor.co.uk/winn...troduction.htm

Seriously... grow up guys.

He asked about a hand and deserves to get a useful reply. Its the only way to get better."

"Go with ur guts... better to make a bad fold than a bad call."

Last edited by mercury; May 10, 2007 at 8:34pm.
mercury est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 12:57am   #25
fraserbrown
Flop Artist

fraserbrown is on a distinguished road

In response to your question if people would play with you, If you have an account on PS or PartyPoker I'll give you a hand and set you up with a few play chips if you want. IM me if you are interested.
fraserbrown est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2007, 2:37am   #26
Speciation
Flop Artist

alright, so i've set up a spreadsheet that covers the basics: buy-in, # of players, position placed, & amount won. i've set a goal of 1mil play money chips for myself, starting from 1K. i plan on posting my progress & i ask that when i do, you give me as much advice, critique, etc. as you can. it would be much appreciated.

as it stands, i'm not sittin' too pretty w/ my progress. which i realize will be pretty typical until i start breakin' the mold of fish & work seriously on the process to become a seasoned poker player. i will post today's results later tonight.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:33am   #27
Speciation
Flop Artist

Today's results -

Avg. # of players: 24.17.
# of SNGs played: 6.
# of times in the money: 5.
Profit: +3,763.

Would've played more 45-player SNGs, but simply did not have the time. I'm not too, too happy w/ my progress. Really didn't feel like I played that well. Made some plays I felt were mediocre, yet successful. No hands really worth posting. But, one question: What is the normal bet size preflop with a premium hand? Postflop? Turn? River? I bet 3XBB preflop, then kicked it up to 4 or 5XBB (& even 10XBB @ 150/300!) with hands I either knew were unbeatable or had a general idea were unbeatable. Still unable to make accurate calls, although caught a few players who were using their higher-stacked chips to scare off smaller-stacks with either low-pairs or hands that I thought to be pure filth. If I continue @ the pace I worked @ today, it'd take me 250 days to reach the 1M goal I set for myself.

1,000,000 / 4,000 = 250.

Hopin' I can kick up my earnings to @ least 10,000+ a day within the next couple of weeks (ideally within the week) & start playin' higher-staked SNGs. I've been playing $300 ($310) + 20 buy-in SNGs, the next level for me would be $2,000 + 110 buy-in SNGs. What would be a proper bankroll to begin playing the higher-staked SNGs?

Last edited by Speciation; May 11, 2007 at 3:03pm.
Old May 11, 2007, 4:43am   #28
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

3 or 4 big blinds +1 for each limper. Don't know if that translates nicely in play money. If you have the better hand and they'll call up to 20BB, bet 20BB. Push that preflop edge as hard as you can. It is probably your biggest.

regards
Old May 11, 2007, 5:50am   #29
Speciation
Flop Artist

Fox -

Thank you for your reply. Before your answer, I had been searching for websites that gave what I believed to be legitimate answers & I had not been able to find anything other than betting strategies, the names of these betting strategies & their definitions/when to implement them.

Now, I realize there are many things I need to learn before beginning to become a better player (pot odds, betting strategies, being able to make accurate calls, etc.), but I am having trouble implementing & working on just one aspect @ a time, as suggested before in this thread. So, in your honest opinion, which skill should I be focusing on to being w/? What I want to really begin working on is being able to make those accurate tells. There's been many times where I've had the best hand pre/postflop, raised, re-raised, etc. to be beaten by a hand, that after some thought, should've been completely obvious. I need a way to be able to immediately realize possible hands & implement my knowledge into making appropriate plays.

Nevertheless, as asked above, @ what point in my bankroll should I move up to the $2,000 + 110 buy-in SNGs?
Old May 11, 2007, 6:25am   #30
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

First skill: starting hand requirements (what hands you want to play and why). Then you'll want to understand how pot odds work and be able to use them in the game. If you can get these two skills, you won't be spraying chips all over the place, and will almost undoubtably be a big winner in play money games.

Tells? Experience is what will tell you what kind of hands they could have. It is a complicated skill to teach and you should probably wait a while before diving into that stuff if you still need to learn pot odds and other fundamentals.

Regards