Old May 23, 2007, 1:26pm   #11
1idjack
Brunson

1idjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
You kind of beat me to it.

My 2c worth:

1c: We are all playing micro stakes here, so I will assume that none of us is an expert player. Yes, varience plays a part in a downswing, but so does poor play. And at these stakes, lots of it. And I'm not talking about other peoples. Don't make the mistake of thinking that running well is the same thing as playing well and that running badly is not playing badly.

If you have lost 13 buyins there is a reason for this, and I highly doubt it is just down to varience. Losing money forces us to confront that we may not be as good as we think we are. How are you going to respond to that? By analysing your game looking for your leaks, or by cursing your luck and other people's donkey play?

Taking a break is no bad thing. Changing games/sites/tables is no bad thing. But when you start winning again, don't be fooled that your good play is finally being rewarded. It is just as likley that your poor play is not being punished.

2c: Read Notjitsu's Myspace blog where he has some excellent essays on the kind of self delusion we are all capable of.

Edit: or read this article in the latest CardPlayer:

http://www.cardplayer.com/magazine/article/16733
i whole heartedly agree. i'll be the first to tell you i suck. i have no delusions that i'm some kind of great player. i mean after 26000 hands i've only been able to turn a profit of $400. i know that's a shitty win rate. but what happens when you're absolutely card dead at the tables for two weeks. when you're getting garbage, and the table is passive, how do you control yourself to not see flops with hands like K7 since that's the best hand you've seen in hours, only to flop bottom pair and have to fold. the pots i have won, though few and far between have been position steals.

i have stayed off line for a week and done some other things to get my mind clear. i have a better attitude about playing now and hope to make better decisions at the table.

i got a few borders GC's for my birthday last week and i think i'm going to pick up NLHE:TAP. i've been looking for something to read that isn't tourney-centric, and i've already got Little Green Book

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 23, 2007, 11:10pm   #12
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idjack View Post
but what happens when you're absolutely card dead at the tables for two weeks .... the pots i have won, though few and far between have been position steals.
You have answered your own question. When you are card dead, you look for situations that you can take advantage of, such as position steals. You work on playing your opponent and the situation, rather than playing your cards.

Developing these skills means that you can start to use your positional awareness to win pots that your cards wont win on their own. This makes you a better all round poker player and helps you to maintain interest / maintain a win rate when you are card dead.

Let's face it, any donkey can win a pot with the best hand, right? But the best players can win a pot with no hand.

Now, if I could only work out how the hell they do it, I might be able to get out of $25NL.
Old May 24, 2007, 1:00am   #13
ToCall_All_In
River Rat

ToCall_All_In is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
If you have lost 13 buyins there is a reason for this, and I highly doubt it is just down to varience. Losing money forces us to confront that we may not be as good as we think we are. How are you going to respond to that? By analysing your game looking for your leaks, or by cursing your luck and other people's donkey play?
Very deep, and sort of what i was thinking (you might need to analyze your strategy).

13 in a row is unlucky, a little too unlucky?

Do you wait around on strong hands and see the river too often?

Are you playing too loose and getting your bluffs called?

The chances are that when you miss you fold and when you hit you bet, which works out just fine when youre hitting the flop, but its transparent when you dont. If the cards are falling bad, you can miss every flop in 100, meanwhile theres plenty dead money in them pots. People are betting when they hit the 2nd pair and if you can spot it, let me tell you, they sure dont like a raise on the turn!

Im not saying that luck isnt important in poker, 13 buyins is DAMN unlucky, but i think maybe youre game is too dependant on luck........

Have a bash with a medium kicker queen, random suited cards, mid connecting cards etc (i dont reccomend weak kings nor weak aces)
ToCall_All_In est déconnecté   Reply With Quote