German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old May 30, 2007, 11:24pm   #1
rcb17
Grinder

rcb17 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to rcb17 Send a message via Skype™ to rcb17
Default a downswing vent

This is nothing more than a vent.

I just had a really shitty run. I dropped about $300 today on BoDog losing every way imaginable, culminating a bad month overall.

I made my share of dumb moves, pushing too hard with second best hands and getting trapped, but I also got sucked out on every way imaginable as well. I had aces cracked all 5 times I got them today. I lost with KK, QQ, AK, and JJ. Every single one of them I was a 75/25 favorite or better when all the chips went in. I lost AK to AQ, AQ to AJ, KQ to KJ even.

I did not cash in any of the 6 SnG's I entered, bubbling on 4 of them. I lost all 10 HU matches I played today, including the two $55 ones that I very stupidly jumped in on as an attempt to quick-fix my bad run. I lost both those (no shit) when I got AJ, got two pair and got AQ all in after the flop. Runner-runner KT on the turn and river lost both of those for me, no lie.

It's been annoying enough that I have been running card-dead for about 4 weeks now, but today when I finally start getting some cards I'm getting killed too. It's like every time I get all in, I'm dreading seeing how exactly I am going to lose this hand. I've played tight and patient, almost to teh point of being a nit. It's like every time I make a move, it's mistimed and somebody has a hand that kills me. I can do very little right at the online poker tables lately it seems.

Worst of all, all my hard work getting over 1k in BoDog is gone. I'm going to take a break for a few days though, this is the first time a downswing has really gotten to me. It's made me irritable in real life, and I cannot allow that to happen.

After that, I plan to go back to old faithful, PLO, and start the rebuilding process. I also am working off a bonus at FTP, I may put BoDog to the side for a while and focus on FTP. Hopefully my bad run won't extend there.

Sorry for the bandwith waste, I needed to get this off my chest and start the healing process.

Michigan WHO? 34-32!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBzoXqCEnA
rcb17 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 30, 2007, 11:37pm   #2
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb17 View Post
Sorry for the bandwith waste, I needed to get this off my chest and start the healing process.
That's an ugly session, man. Good luck with the rebuilding of the roll.
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 12:25am   #3
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that bodog seems to have uglier swing that other places. I mean..when im running bad im running bad for days..not just hours..and running good for days too.
Old May 31, 2007, 1:05am   #4
jimmydeadace
Doyle Look-alike

jimmydeadace is on a distinguished road

Hey man sorry to hear about it. I'm going through one at the moment. The most annoying thing i find is it makes my play so bad. You get half a hand and you think ah i must be winning and push and lose after getting crap hand after crap hand for what seems ages. Anyway don't let it get you down
jimmydeadace est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 4:22am   #5
theonlythree
aka 3

theonlythree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb17 View Post
I lost all 10 HU matches I played today, including the two $55 ones that I very stupidly jumped in on as an attempt to quick-fix my bad run.
So 1/3rd of your downswing is your own fault. Get out of this habit as soon as possible. It's much more rewarding to crawl out of a hole with your bare hands than to use a jetpack.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:48am   #6
jimmydeadace
Doyle Look-alike

jimmydeadace is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree View Post
So 1/3rd of your downswing is your own fault. Get out of this habit as soon as possible. It's much more rewarding to crawl out of a hole with your bare hands than to use a jetpack.
I did exactly the same thing and i blame this as a result of me not having a much bigger bankroll, i win get up to a decent amount, lose some and then try and win it back by playing stakes that are much to big or loads of tournies.
jimmydeadace est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 1:42pm   #7
rcb17
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlythree View Post
Amen to that brother. Like I said, it was a dumb move. I had been playing HU matches a lot recently to try and practice my HU play. If anything, I think these have gotten me too loose in the rest of my games though, and my overall game has suffered. If there's one thing going back to PLO will reinforce, it's patient tight play.

But that's not going to be for a few days though. I am going to stick to a small self-imposed exile to get away and focus on other parts of my life. I'll read here, but not play for a bit.

Old May 31, 2007, 1:59pm   #8
Adman
Doyle Look-alike

Adman is infamous around these parts

We've all been there and I know just how painful it can be. I went through a 270+bb downswing in 5/10 limit a while back. It got so bad I ended up pulling out my $10 000 bankroll. Perhaps I was a bit hasty and should have played it out but it seemed like it was never going to end. Now I'm back playing .25/.50 limit and it fucking blows man. I'm planning to just build it up higher again like I did last time where I turned a $20 deposit into a $12 000 br in around a year through nothing but shorthanded limit cash games. Hopefully I can do it quicker this time!
Adman est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 5:38pm   #9
rcb17
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
We've all been there and I know just how painful it can be. I went through a 270+bb downswing in 5/10 limit a while back. It got so bad I ended up pulling out my $10 000 bankroll. Perhaps I was a bit hasty and should have played it out but it seemed like it was never going to end. Now I'm back playing .25/.50 limit and it fucking blows man. I'm planning to just build it up higher again like I did last time where I turned a $20 deposit into a $12 000 br in around a year through nothing but shorthanded limit cash games. Hopefully I can do it quicker this time!
I would love to be that good at limit HE. Best I seem to do is break even.

Old Jun 01, 2007, 10:34am   #10
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doza View Post
I've noticed that bodog seems to have uglier swing that other places. I mean..when im running bad im running bad for days..not just hours..and running good for days too.
Bodog has wilder shorterm negative swings but much bigger short and longterm positive swings. The players there are just that bad.