THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jun 11, 2007, 6:53pm   #1
crsb123
Fish

crsb123 is on a distinguished road
Default This hand made me want to quit! Help!

I make a nice profit from live no limit games either 1-3 or 2-5.

I buy in for $300 and get up to $480 within an hour. In the BB I have 10,10, 6 callers to me for $3 so I raise to $20. Everyone fold except one, the button who limped in raises to $50. I call and put him on AA KK or AK, although he has been pretty loose and he has $500 in front of him. The flop. Q,Q,10 rainbow. I bet out $80 and he goes all in. I call. He has A,Q unsuited and the guy to my right says he folded the case queen. I need to dodge an Ace. The turn, is a J and the river is a J. Although I feel we played our hands well, this was one of the worst beats ever for me.

The next night I flopped nut flush. Two all ins in front of me so I call. The other two had 2nd nuts and 3rd nuts, $300 each.

Just don't know if I can handle the swings, the win was nice but the bad beat stays with me for 2 weeks. Is this normal or do I need to shrug it off quicker?
crsb123 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 11, 2007, 7:14pm   #2
Doza
<=Wannabe maniac=>

Doza is on a distinguished road

Loosing just $400 isnt a swing. It's not even the start of a swing. For your game it's normal and expected that even a winning player go down $2500 every now and then. (say this guy plays every day, he could be down for $2500 in a month and up a lot by the end of the year)

so, shrug it off .
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:07pm   #3
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

Check out this guys blog: http://twentyoneoutstwice.blogspot.c...ate-poker.html

Very interesting comment on how losing stays with us much longer than winning so that in the long run even winning players end up with an emotional deficit that starts taking the fun out of poker.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:33pm   #4
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
Very interesting comment on how losing stays with us much longer than winning so that in the long run even winning players end up with an emotional deficit that starts taking the fun out of poker.

I must be lucky my brain doesnt function that way, if I am at a live game the loss is out of my head by the time I get home. The biggest pot I ever lost online was AI with KQ vs K3 on a KQ2 flop. I bothered me for about ten miniuts and really only think about it now when someone askes me what was your worst beat. On the other hand my biggest pots and "best played hands" stay with me, and I think about them alot. This may be why I have such positive feelings when playing poker, I just know I am going to win the next session, even when I am down 5 buy ins, or in the middle of a downswing.

What takes the fun out of poker for me is the fact that playing winning cash game poker is boring. So I when I was board out of my mind I mixed in a few MTTs to have some fun.

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:38pm   #5
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

1. Losing 1 hand cannot ever = a downswing. You want to know what a downswing is? Try 25 set over set losses in a row (the first 3 of which were when my opponent hit a 1 out river...). 25xbuyin =

2. You played the hand fine, so did your opponent, you got unlucky, it happens. That's why we have a bankroll - anything can happen in 1 hand, or 2 hands... or 35000+ hands (well, maybe only if you're me).

3. On the nut flush hand, you coolered 2 other opponents for more than you lost in the first hand you posted. I think you can take solice in the fact that you had good luck on this second hand (for being dealt a nut flush vs 2 lower flushes) to compensate for the 'bad luck' on the first one. While luck never really 'compensates' logically, you can think of it that way and probably the first beat won't hurt so much.

4. If you find the 'swings' you're detailing too stressful you probably need to drop limits and learn bankroll management (these aren't even swings IMO, lol). I know that's not easy for live poker, but you might consider sticking to the lower level of buyin so that the 'swings' are less. Playing live is so easy that even a squirrel-nutcollector-bankroll-horder like me would be comfortable with 15 to 20 buyins for a given level. But any less than that and you risk the possibility of swings that will cripple you, unless you can reload.

Bankroll and 'swing' threads are definitely +EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:21am   #6
Icebreaker16
Doyle Look-alike

Icebreaker16
Send a message via AIM to Icebreaker16

try what twllm said or try having a win percantage of 31 percent with AA all in preflop(31/97). But I hope u get over what your dealing with?!? Good luck
Icebreaker16 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:12am   #7
Grisu_1981
Grinder

Grisu_1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
Try 25 set over set losses in a row (the first 3 of which were when my opponent hit a 1 out river...). 25xbuyin =
25 in a row? No kidding? Did you start to fold your sets because you lost your "trust" in them? I mean usually when one flops a set one is quite comfortable to have the best hand, but after 25 set over set losses that could certainly change.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:39am   #8
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

I don't even remember the last time I've been in a set over set situation, I don't think it's happened for a long time.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:48pm   #9
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grisu_1981 View Post
25 in a row? No kidding? Did you start to fold your sets because you lost your "trust" in them? I mean usually when one flops a set one is quite comfortable to have the best hand, but after 25 set over set losses that could certainly change.
No, I continued to play them 'properly' (ie. I put the money in with them on dry boards). I wish I'd been more of a weakling and started folding them in otherwise un-foldable spots, I would have saved a lot of money.

Technically I only lost 22 in a row where I had the lower set (what we usually refer to as set over set). The first three were where I had the higher set and my opponent hit quads on the river.

Oh well, that's all in the past. I broke the streak a few months ago when I won with a set over someone else's set. YAY! It's gone something like 1/1 since then.

The point was that (1) you can't change your play to stop beats or anything, because you're making a mistake if you do, and (2) that one hand is nothing, as is losing in that spot. Try some one-outers on for size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 4:40pm   #10
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

That's why you take up hobbies, everyone gets tired of their job at some point.