THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Jul 23, 2007, 5:06am   #11
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

I think that it depends. HU SnGs play much differently than HU Cash. I'm better at HU SnGs because of my HU style, so I generally stick to those. I think that you can crush an opponent for much more in HU Cash, but on the flip side you also have a tilt barrier in the SnG. I read about this guy who dropped 28 buy-ins at a 10/20 NL HU Table to this other guy. Hard to do that in a SnG.

I think that it is better to work on your HU game at SnGs anyways. Once you get the fundamentals down and the next few levels after that, you should be ready (and have the BR) to crush HU cash.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 23, 2007, 2:10pm   #12
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

in a SNG the most money in HU comes from the edge you have when the stacks are in the range of 15 to 8 BB. Cause the difference between knowing the correct shoving and calling ranges and not knowing them makes for about 5-10% ROI.

in cash games the most money comes from adjusting and readjusting to your opponent and trying to induce big pots where he can make mistakes. That "inducing" is the hard part though. Putting him on tilt is one way, but thats the real complicated stuff that only few ppl know how to do properly.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 10:42pm   #13
XA_kid
The Doyle

In case anyone was wondering, the hand I posted was not one of mine, but from the 2007 Shooting Stars Tournament. I could have included other info, but I didn't want to give too many clues.

It was Ted Forrest vs. J.J. Lui. JJ had the QJ and Ted had the K5c. It's a really tough hand to play and while I like to think I would have played differently, it really did play itself out. JJ didn't insta-call either, she really thought this one out and I would have come to the same conclusion: call.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:04pm   #14
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA_kid View Post
Flop is Ah Kc 2s...Ted had the K5c
Rigged!!

I also watched this the other day and saw this very hand and I didn't pick up on it either, woops.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:10pm   #15
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

I think I may have asked this before in another thread, but I don't remember. If I did, I'm going to ask again anyway. Question is : What kind of swings (up and down) are normal in HU SNG play? I'm once again trying to make these my main game (I tried before, went on a little downswing and got frustrated and bored and went on to MTTs...) and I want to know what to expect. The reason I ask is so that I know if I lose X number of games in a row whether this is normal or whether I need to move down and work on my game some more. Some of you watched my disgusting HU video I made before and I'm happy to say I'm more aggressive now for the most part (except I have gotten some very very very bad opponents recently where aggression without a hand was definitely a bad strategy).
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:21pm   #16
XA_kid
The Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Rigged!!

I also watched this the other day and saw this very hand and I didn't pick up on it either, woops.
Whoops meant Ac

Of course, all poker is rigged when Ted Forrest is at the table.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:19am   #17
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Question: Do you guys thinks headsup cash games are much better than hu STTs? I'm thinking the answer is yes but I'm just wondering what people think. I'd love to play HU for cash instead of tourney's with the rising blinds and such. Unfortunately the lowest HU games Full Tilt has are 100NL and I'm just now trying to bridge from 2 dol STT to 5 dol STT.
Heads-up cash games are better all day long because you can leave if you realize you are worse than your opponent. That and if you lose some money it is normally right there in front of you to get back (unless you get hit and run).
Old Jul 24, 2007, 3:17pm   #18
shads
public enemy

shads will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to shads Send a message via Skype™ to shads

So Ishbu what happened in those two hands?

http://shadspoker.blogspot.com/
shads est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:13pm   #19
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

First hand I call and he showed . Second hand I called looking to Check/raise the turn but hit my straight. So I checked raised anyway and he shoved and showed me .
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:54pm   #20
XA_kid
The Doyle

If only the river was a 5 on that first hand.