THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Sep 06, 2007, 4:02am   #1
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice
Default Breaking Even

Here's a big leak in my game that needs some attention. I've played a lot of 25nl sessions recently (3 tabling) and every single time it's exactly the same:

1. Play a bit too loose early on and drop a few bucks
2. Focus properly and grind up to maybe +20bb
3. Make a decent play or two to double up
4. Lose focus and blow all the gains

Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try and restrict sessions to a certain period of time, or set gain limits and stop playing after a certain BB increase? It's really frustrating because I'm breakeven over several thousand hands now but if I could discipline myself to not spew with a big stack I'd have double the bankroll I have right now. Any ideas (aside from "get a fucking grip you twat") would be very much appreciated.
Mr Beaks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Sep 06, 2007, 4:36am   #2
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

Get a fucking grip, you twat.

But, seriously, if you have problems maintaining focus for certain lengths of time, I'd suggest you don't play for those lengths. Cut off at that time, and then stretch it out, little by little.
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2007, 4:51am   #3
angusg
Bot on tilt

angusg is on a distinguished road

I don't think there is any magic advice apart from trying to identify the early warning signs that you are losing focus. Eg for me if I'm getting the urge to look at Pokertips, play online Scrabble, anything except focus on the poker game, or if I'm getting too lazy to take notes, I will take a break. It's not about setting gain limits at all, it's about recognising when I am about to play sub-optimally and stopping just before that. (Sounds nice in theory, of course I don't always do it in practice either but I'm getting better...)

The other thing is that if you're getting deep stacked then losing your whole stack in one hand you should of course analyse those hands and see if there are leaks in your deep stacked play, (eg if you're routinely going broke for 200bb with overpairs, that's something to work on). You can also consider leaving the table if you've doubled up and there are one of more decent/tricky players who are also deep stacked.
angusg est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:11am   #4
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Thanks for the tips guys. I suppose it's common sense really but sometimes you need others to tell you what you should already know. I thought I was just getting unlucky but then it happened pretty regularly and I wondered what was going on. I've been working on trying to identify the signs of losing focus and then using the time to think about what's been going wrong. Looking back at some of my big blow-ups I can see that two things were happening:

1. At the time they happened I'd been playing for a long period and had built up a good stack / table image
2. The hands where I lost big pots were usually preceded by losing several smaller pots with marginal hands

Basically a combination of tiredness, lack of concentration and over-confidence. I think I'll be much better at spotting it and correcting it from now on and in fact already in the last 2 days I've managed to quit both sessions well ahead when I felt I was starting to play below my best.
Mr Beaks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2007, 2:34am   #5
KyleJRM
Brunson

KyleJRM is on a distinguished road

The big bust used to be a major leak in my game. I've found a lot of successs limiting that by buying in for the minimum at each table, and leaving if I triple that up (unless I just really love the players at the table).

Probably not all-purpose advice, but it helped me.
KyleJRM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2007, 6:15am   #6
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

Most people on this forum don't believe in shortstacking, fwiw. Not that it's unprofitable, but it's rather mechanical.
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2007, 7:48am   #7
KyleJRM
Brunson

KyleJRM is on a distinguished road

I'd like to learn to be a better player and not need to, but for now I'll settle for keeping my head above water.
KyleJRM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 08, 2007, 8:03am   #8
Ishbu3116
Pope of Online Poker

Ishbu3116 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
Most people on this forum don't believe in shortstacking, fwiw. Not that it's unprofitable, but it's rather mechanical.
Nothing wrong with shortstacking or playing poker anyway as long as your are profitable. But over the long run the most profitable way to play for a good player is with a full stack in front of him/her.