German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:38am   #111
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptix82 View Post
It kinda sounds like you just don't like Evolution. It's a vital part of biology, history, anthropology, archaeology, etc. To question it's "validity" in being taught sounds silly to me. It's a vital building block of our world, why would you not want to teach children about it?
I geuss I don't, just like all biology I find it boring. If your going to spend time on biology, learning how your body operates is much more useful and practical to know than evolution. I don't see how its vital, it definitly doesn't increase skills nor is it useful for any job or day to day living.

Theres a ton of stuff I'd ommit from teaching, first would definitly be all the emphasis on Shakespeare, complete waste of time when you consider they don't teach how to do practical writing that people would use in offices on a regular basis. Teach a little bit for english history, but definitly not each year 1 new book of his to examine. Im sure if you went through the circulam you'd find tons of stuff that you think should be ommitted.

Last edited by KS_Perfection; Jan 08, 2008 at 2:07am.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 08, 2008, 12:53am   #112
KS_Perfection
Professional

As for Ron Paul. He needs to stress his electbility because of his resistance towards Iraq, something that the majority of independants agree with. Its not enough to constantly say your against it. You have to emphasis why its important to people who might not agree with you or care.

If theres 1 thing we learned from John Kerry is in politics you have to connect the dots to voters. John Kerry went after Bush for failures in intelligence, failures in Iraq, failures with Bin Laden, but he didn't use those failures to question his ability to be commander in chief. He just sortave left it open to voters to draw the obvious conclusion and they didn't.

Or maybe they did, but figured if Kerry knows that Commander in chief is the biggest issue and he's not attacking Bush on it despite everything Bush has done as Commander in Chief has been a disaster he must be the bigger idiot.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 4:17am   #113
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

I agree with KS_Perfection that there is too much unnecessary stuff learned in the schools, and think pupils should start out with the courses everybody needs (read/write, math and possibly something else) and then be allowed to choose a path when the basic necessaties are learned.

There would obviously be some changes of heart, so it must be possible to change paths.

I think 80% of what I learned at school has been unnecessary (and this even includes courses I selected myself), and I knew it would be useless while learning it. And I consider myself someone who has had (and will have) more use of what I have learned than the average person.

The bastards forced me to learn to cook and clean wearing an apron I had to sew myself for crying out loud.

As for the election stuff, it looks to me like it is gonna be Obama or McCain who becomes president. Clinton is currently suffering from a nervous breakdown and won´t be nominated. And Huckabee won´t be elected if he is nominated because he is too much of a fundamentalist. Then again, we are talking about a country who re-elected George W. Bush here, so anything is possible.

In the battle between Obama and McCain, I think it will be close. Obama is too young, McCain is too old. McCain wants more troops to Iraq, Obama is black.

Being a non-American I prefer McCain as he wants to clean up the mess in Iraq, which left unfixed may pose a threat to the world in the long run. McCain also seems like "the real deal", while Obama seems like he is all words and little substance. I know very little about the policies of the two candidates, though, and either way it will be a change for the much better.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 9:16am   #114
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Clean up the mess? I agree he is the only sane republican left but his idea of fixing the problem is sending more troops and more money. Biden's plan was best for dealing with Iraq but all of the Dems at least have a plan. When the British troops left one of the provinces recently violence died down quite a lot... I think it was Al Anbar or Basra, i'd have to google it. The fundamentalists use the 'occupiers' as an excuse for violence against both foreigners AND other Iraqis.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 9:18am   #115
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

By the way anyone else want to get some action - I think McCain will win New Hampshire for sure now
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 1:16pm   #116
eric melvin rules
Grinder

eric melvin rules is on a distinguished road

My super accurate predictions for New Hampshire primary (% chance they finish in first):
Democrats -
Obama - 60%
Clinton - 35%
Edwards - 4%
All others less than 1%

Republicans -
McCain - 50%
Romney - 35%
Huckabee - 10%
All others less than 1%

Super accurate predictions for winning the nomination for their party:
Democrats -
Obama - 45%
Clinton - 40%
Edwards - 5%
All others less than 1%

Republicans -
McCain - 30%
Romney - 25%
Huckabee - 20%
Giuliani - 20%
All others less than 1%

Super accurate predictions for general election:

Random Democrat vs. random Republican -
Democrat - 60%
Republican - 40%

Obama - Beats all Republicans
Edwards - Loses to McCain and Giuliani, beats other Republicans.
Clinton - 50/50 against McCain and Giuliani, beats all othe Republicans.
Richardson - wont be nominated, but would probably beat all Republicans if he had the money/exposure.
Kucinich - is weirdly short and would lose to anything on the planet.... also, he is crazy.

McCain - Loses to Obama and Richardson, 50/50 against Clinton, beats all others.
Giuliani - Same as McCain
Romney - Loses to everyone but a crazy person like Kucinich or Gravel.
Huckabee - Same as Romney
Hunter - Loses to everyone, possibly even a(nother) crazy person.
Paul - Wont get the nomination, but he stands no chance of winning the presidency even if he did. The lunatic wing of the party would support a third party candidate or simply not vote. He would not be able to pull enough votes away from the Democrat and the Democratic candidate would coast to the most lopsided victory since 1984.

If Richardson is still in the race I'll be caucusing for him (I live in Wisconsin, but vote in Minnesota)... depending on how much support he has I'll most likely end up switching to my second choice which is Obama. The people I could possibly vote for in the GE of the two parties (in order of preference) -- Richardson, Obama, Paul, Edwards, McCain.

My first choice was Joe Biden, but he dropped out so... fuck.
-------
...in other news...

The stuff that KS_Perfection has said about evolution is hilarious in a scary/sad way. I'm a General Science major (geology minor) so maybe I'm a bit biased, but saying that evolution is a "minor" part of science is just hidiously wrong. In order to understand why living things work they way they do you must understand evolution. Evolution is such a fundamental part of biology that not teaching it would be insanely stupid and leave students with a much weaker grasp on the subject than they'd otherwise have.

Science is an extremely important subject -- and if you don't teach it to people when they are young they will grow up and have retarded ideas about how to explain the world (see the biblical creation story for a fun example). The fact that most people don't go into that field doesn't mean that it's a bad idea to have a population that is educated at a basic level about how the world works. Every person that is ignorant about evolution will make choices that a bad for the planet/species. All those small bad decisions add up to cause serious damage to the environment that I have to live in.
eric melvin rules est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 4:00pm   #117
KS_Perfection
Professional

Quote:
Every person that is ignorant about evolution will make choices that a bad for the planet/species. All those small bad decisions add up to cause serious damage to the environment that I have to live in.
Care to give an example? Cause Im drawing a blank how not knowing where humans came from would cause you to make more mistakes than someone who did know.

As far as Im concerned its just like Poker. Knowing the history of how poker was created won't make you a better player, but learning concepts/stratagies will.

Quote:
Paul - Wont get the nomination, but he stands no chance of winning the presidency even if he did. The lunatic wing of the party would support a third party candidate or simply not vote.
Even if he picked Huckabee as his running mate? I imagine he'd likely get picked if other candiates won to get out his base.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 4:29pm   #118
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

Quote:
Care to give an example? Cause Im drawing a blank how not knowing where humans came from would cause you to make more mistakes than someone who did know.
You might pick up some silly ideas from a preacher man.

Then you might teach those silly ideas to your children.

They then teach their children said silly ideas.

Repeat.

Holy wars.

Repeat.

The slowing of human progression.

Repeat.

Oligarchy.

Repeat.

End of human civilization.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 5:37pm   #119
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptix82 View Post
You might pick up some silly ideas from a preacher man.

Then you might teach those silly ideas to your children.

They then teach their children said silly ideas.

Repeat.

Holy wars.

Repeat.

The slowing of human progression.

Repeat.

Oligarchy.

Repeat.

End of human civilization.
KS, you are single handedly responsible for the end of the world. I hope you're happy with yourself. You go to your room and you just think about what you've done, you hear me?
Mr Beaks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 5:46pm   #120
KS_Perfection
Professional

So you want to eliminate religions because you actually think it would reduce wars?

Wouldn't make a difference at all. If everyone were atheists, Christians or Muslims they'd still fight amongsts themselves. Look at the Crusades, European Christian countries were killing eachother, they decided to stop and unite against Muslims (big regression in your books). After it stopped they went back to killing eachother, I don't see any change at all.

If you think everyone being athesit would be better your the same as Bush. Only he feels everyone being Christian and Democratic would be progress. If you get everyone to belive the samething, doesn't matter what it is tehy'll find reasons to fight amongst themselves and create new divisions.

People like to think that religion is holding man kind back and if we got rid of it everything would be so much better off. What people belive has nothing to do with it, progress can only be made when people improve themselves and learn to accept that differences with others is fine, even if you disagree with it.

And stop blaming others for problems in the world, if everyone focused on improving themslves and the changes they could make than true progress would happen.