German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Jan 08, 2008, 5:49pm   #121
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
KS, you are single handedly responsible for the end of the world. I hope you're happy with yourself. You go to your room and you just think about what you've done, you hear me?
I have my computer in my room so I don't have to think about what I've done I'll be too busy playing poker until you let me out.

If I have to pee that could cause a problem though.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 08, 2008, 5:50pm   #122
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

I'm just really not a fan of the picking and choosing that goes on with science. If you accept gravity you should accept evolution. The National Academy of Sciences along with the Institute of Medicine put out a booklet very recently to detail how the larger scientific community feels regarding this issue. You can read it for free online here, http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=11876#toc

Creationism/Intelligent Design should be viewed the way the general public views the flat-earth society. The fact that so many blindly hold on to their ridiculous ideas in the face of insurmountable evidence annoys the hell out of a great number of people, myself included.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 5:57pm   #123
KS_Perfection
Professional

I accept it, but thats irrelvant for this discussion. We can't teach everything and out of science stuff I think other stuff is more useful to know.

Quote:
Creationism/Intelligent Design should be viewed the way the general public views the flat-earth society. The fact that so many blindly hold on to their ridiculous ideas in the face of insurmountable evidence annoys the hell out of a great number of people, myself included.
You should learn to let that go. Getting worked up isn't good for your health. Especially since their believes have nothing to do with you.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 6:20pm   #124
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

Quote:
You should learn to let that go. Getting worked up isn't good for your health. Especially since their believes have nothing to do with you.
I don't get into it often, but when it comes up I'm rather blunt about my feelings.

It may very well be a personal fault, but I tend to look at things in a way that weights principle higher than reality. I recognize there are good Christians just as there are bad Atheists (good/bad being my own relative take ldo). I don't view religion as the cause so much as a symptom. I wish people in general were smarter, as I feel a smarter humankind would do better on a lot of fronts. I have a sincere interest in the progression of humankind even if it won't directly benefit me a great deal. I don't think there's anything unnatural about this, in fact I think it harps at a sort of biological survival of the species instinct.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 6:22pm   #125
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Perfection View Post
But it does, though. Denial of facts and denial of science cheapens everyone and makes progress and harmony more difficult. It should make you angry because it needs to be fought against.

In this case, since we started this discussion with Huckabee, it has everything to do with everybody, and everyone should be very, very concerned. To have a Christian fundamentalist in the White House - one who is counter-intellectual and counter-scientific - would be a disaster not only for the people of America but for the entire world.

A President should not make any decision based on religious beliefs because religious beliefs are inherently without proof. Decisions of the magnitude facing the President's office can, and should, only be dealt with through rational analysis of the facts and of the evidence, and a man or woman not prepared to follow that principle should not be allowed to hold that office.
Mr Beaks est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 6:54pm   #126
KS_Perfection
Professional

I get that. I get overly annoyed when Atheists make the argument that wars would be greatly reduced if everyone thought excatly the same way that they do. Thats not the annoying part, its that their thinking that their argument is soo much different and better than when Christians/Muslims make the same argument.

I don't think it needs to be fought over. I can understand why you might feel that way, but its not easy to make any headways.

Lol, just thought of this. From a poker stand point its terrible, afterall as poker players don't we make our money from people denying fact and reason? If everyone though rationally the losers would either improve or stop playing. I know its not the same, but it is comical.

As for Huackabee he's just not intellectual enough to be President, so I odn't have to consider his beliefs. I don't think Thompson is quick enough either. Would someones religious believes make too much of a difference? Isn't most of it about being good to others, and follow the 10 commandments? I suppose an intellectual fundamentalist wouldn't be a problem, if they exist.
Old Jan 08, 2008, 7:00pm   #127
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I think someone needs to read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Religion is indeed harmful in its fundamentalist form.

I would bet my life on Ron Paul losing the presidency if he's nominated, which is less likely than me winning the Sunday Million next week while competing at Aussie Millions (i'll be playing when it's on)

Edwards would crush any Republican in a general election; even McCain.
Obama will beat them all too, McCain might be close though.
Hillary will also beat them all, possibly except McCain
Richardson would beat them all as well if he took debating lessons.

LOL @ Giuliani having a 20% chance at the nomination. He won't win more than five states. If he carries Florida he might get enough votes to force a brokered convention if Romney gets a lot of delegates from 2nd place finishes and winning Utah and maybe Massachussets since he's from there. Giuliani might get Florida, NY, NJ and some of New England. If McCain wins NH, he will win a plurality of the states I think. Huckabee will likely sweep the South.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 8:53pm   #128
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

Wow, picking on intelligent design, thats a new low for you skeptix. See, i knew you werent as politically correct as you would like everyone to think!!!!

You will do anything to keep this dead money candidate thread alive!!

Maybe now that Obama is now offically the President of Iowa, Paul can get back to his day job

http://www.starrbooty.com/cast.html

MRV

P.S. be nice to the atheist, Dec is a rough month for them.
“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.” Bette Davis

Last edited by MRVEGAS; Jan 09, 2008 at 2:15am.
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 9:26pm   #129
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

While I dis-like organized religion, I love faith. If it wasn't for faith then it would be hard for a lot of people to deal with death. What my beliefs are depend on what I need them to be for my brain to be able to process the given information in a way that will not depress me to the point of suicide... Sometimes that means I recognize a higher power.

Most of the time I am pretty sure that death will be the same as pre-life before you were born, that is no conciseness. This is a nice theory when you life is going ok and death is a long way off. When you are dealing with the death of a loved one or your own mortality it is easier to latch on to something that re-assures you that you will be reunited with those you love, for otherwise the emotional pain can be mind numbing.

Also most messages of religion are that of peace and love. If you follow the spirit of peace and love then you are living a life that you can be proud of. Unfortunately there are a lot of things people do under the name of their religion that has nothing to do with the actual spirit of their beliefs. This is when I dis-like such things, for there is something undefinabley wrong about such actions.

As for Ron Paul, he believes in letting grown men and women be treated like such and not nursed at the tit while being scolded like children when they do something that should be no bodies business but their own. Live and let live, and tell the government to get the heck out of your business.

Ron Paul : Freedom
Freedom : America
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2008, 10:40pm   #130
eric melvin rules
Grinder

eric melvin rules is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Perfection View Post
Care to give an example?
Sure... By giving no thought to evolutionary processes humans have altered the landscape of the planet in drastic ways. We are now in the largest extinction event since the K-T event, and it can be almost entirely blamed on human activities.

I'm not some tree hugger hippie, and I don't feel sorry for the poor furry little critters... but think about the consequences this could have for our food supply and quality of life. If the food chain collapses it could very well mean that billions of people starve to death.

This might not seem to be linked to evolution, but it most definitely is. Survival of the life forms most suited to the environment we're creating =/= survival of the species we depend on for survival, nor does it mean that our own species will survive.

Look at what we have done with canines... 10,000 years ago there we no dogs like we have today. Humans took wild canines (wolves) and selectively bread them creating the domestic dog. Is that a bad thing, good thing? Not sure -- but there are very real consequences for everything we do.

How about GM crops? What happens when disease resistant plants spread into the wild and kill off entire species of bacteria... what about the other species that depend on the bacteria for survival?... it could also choke out growth of other plants, including the original version of the plant... Unlikely, maybe, but you can't seriously think that it's better that the general public remain ignorant about this stuff but not giving them a basic education when they're young.

I could go on, but this post is long enough... The point is, humans have a very real impact on evolutionary processes and if you don't consider them at all there is the potential for horrible consequences.

-------- (edit)
RE: Giuliani @ 20% to win the nomination...

He polls very well nationally, and also polls very well when matched against the Democrats. He has a great chance of taking CA and NY and is doing well in other states with lots of delegates (such as FL). I do think he's something of a long shot, but he's by no means completely out of it.

As a registered Democrat I have to say that Giuliani and McCain are the two candidates that I fear the most. Giuliani because he plays on people's fears and that works very well (see 2002/2004 elections)... Add his moderate social stances to his "tough on terrorism" bs, and you've got a candidate that is very appealing to the suburbanite swing voter crowd that would normally lean Democrat. McCain is scary because I like him even though I agree with him on just about nothing.

Last edited by eric melvin rules; Jan 08, 2008 at 10:48pm.
eric melvin rules est déconnecté   Reply With Quote