THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:23am   #1
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default American Justice

Found on 2+2

NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. -- New Smyrna Beach police are desperately trying to find two masked men responsible for a fatal home invasion at a house known for gambling. Police said 62-year-old David Michael Turner was killed overnight when two masked men stormed into the house on Mill Run Drive and demanded money during a poker game.

Investigators are still trying to figure out if the man killed inside the home was targeted or if it was random. He doesn't live there; he's from Port Orange.

Some in this neighborhood don't think it was random. They say everyone knows the homeowner hosts card games several nights a week and the players bring a lot of cash.

Residents in a New Smyrna Beach neighborhood woke up Tuesday morning concerned about what happened inside a home in the 500-block of Mill Run Drive.

"This is a quiet neighborhood. Nothing ever happens around here. Just a tragedy," said neighbor John Kates.

Police said, around 9:30 Monday night, about eight people were playing poker at the home when two masked men stormed in and demanded their money. An argument started and the suspects fired several shots. One of them hit 62-year-old Dennis Michael Turner, who drove over from Port Orange to play poker.

Investigators don't know if the masked men were after Turner or the homeowner.

"I knew something was going to happen over there eventually," an unidentified neighbor said.

Neighbors said the homeowner is a frequent gambler and card player. He even has cards painted on his driveway. Neighbors said he normally had people over throughout the week for games and a few months ago he told them someone broke in and got away with a lot of money and valuables.

"They got him for $30,000, some guns and gold he had in the house, but he wasn't home at the time," Kates said.

Investigators said it's possible the homeowner could face charges, depending on how high the stakes were during Monday night's poker game.

"In Florida, you can have penny ante game up to $10 per hand and it's perfectly legal, so we're not sure how much they were gambling dollar-wise, but we're looking into that also," said Sgt. Michael Brouillette, New Smyrna Beach Police.

While investigators are looking into the gambling, they said their top priority is tracking down the two masked men.

Copyright 2007 by wftv.com.

There are 3 french comedian who made a sketch with 3 retarded cops who got called by a victim of a rape. They go to the house, talk with the man and ends up arresting the women.

Obviously that wouldnt happen in the US
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:40am   #2
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

There is a lot of this stuff in Norway too. There was something on the news some time ago where a man caught a burglar in his house. He grabbed a rifle and threatened the burglar with it. Afterwards he got in trouble with the police for his threatening behavious. I am not even sure the rifle was loaded. This was a while ago, I may have mixed up some details.

Another time a guy caught some burglars as they were about to leave in their car. He cracked some car-windows or something to get to them and prevent them from leaving. He had to pay damages for these windows.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:49am   #3
KTC
Grinder

KTC will become famous soon enough

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)
KTC est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:52am   #4
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Well, in a way, going after the homeowner makes sense. If he was, in fact, engaging in illegal acivity in his house which indirectly led to a man being killed.

Of course, he shouldn't be prosecuted as though he pulled the trigger, but he is at least mildly culpable. Whether or not such a game SHOULD be illegal is immaterial.

Edit: It really seems like this guy was begging for something like this to happen. Hosting card games w/ "alot of cash", that are well known (practically advertised), w/ no semblance of security? Maybe they should forget about the gambling charges and arrest him for stupidity.

Last edited by zolaboy; Oct 17, 2007 at 7:18am.
zolaboy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:59pm   #5
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47

yeah he was pretty stupid and it was likely that they would end up robbed at some point.

Thats why I dont play in bar that organize poker games. I cant believe that people are willing to rob a shop for 500$ where you could rob a bar that organise poker games for probably more than 10K in cash.
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:52pm   #6
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb47 View Post
I cant believe that people are willing to rob a shop for 500$ where you could rob a bar that organise poker games for probably more than 10K in cash.
It is because becoming a criminal is stupid, and thus most criminals are stupid.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 12:01am   #7
LimpIn
Doyle Look-alike

LimpIn will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom View Post
It is because becoming a criminal is stupid, and thus most criminals are stupid.
This made me LOL. Another classic from Mushroom.
LimpIn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:47pm   #8
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that the San Antonio police department waited until after Richard Lee won $2.8 million in the 2006 WSOP main event to raid his home. The police and the district attorney split up his winnings and kept it after all was said and done, as if that money had anything to do with his bookmaking operation? Also, why do the police and DA get the money? Don't the people pay their salaries? Were they not simply doing their jobs?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:14pm   #9
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
I noticed that the San Antonio police department waited until after Richard Lee won $2.8 million in the 2006 WSOP main event to raid his home. The police and the district attorney split up his winnings and kept it after all was said and done, as if that money had anything to do with his bookmaking operation? Also, why do the police and DA get the money? Don't the people pay their salaries? Were they not simply doing their jobs?
Umm. Wow. So many things wrong with this. This is an all new level AoE.

1. They 'waited' until after he won millions in the WSOP? Really? Unless you're literally suggesting they had been planning to raid his house after the WSOP started, but then realized he was still playing in it, so they waited to see if he would win so they could take his $, then what you're saying makes no sense. You realize how ridiculous this idea is, right? First, they likely did not even take into account his participation in the WSOP beyond the fact that it would be a bad time to raid him as he wasn't there! That assumes they took it into consideration at all. Usually police decide when to raid based on when they have sufficient evidence to get a warrant, when they think suspects will be present together etc.

More importantly, they had no way of knowing in advance that he would win a whole bunch of money at the WSOP in 2006. So what you said about that is pretty much the silliest thing I've ever heard.

2. The 'police' and the 'DA' "getting" the money does not literally mean the police chief or the DA him/herself are taking the money, it means the $ is being put into the department of police and the department of the district attorney, presumably to pay for fighting more crime, pay the cost of the investigations etc. It's not going into their pockets or something. This is a settlement/fine, not a bribe. If it was a bribe, it wouldn't have been made public.

I'm normally not the first in line to tell you off AoE, but holy crap was your reply ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2007, 8:48pm   #10
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

If an on-going investigation was occuring then the police knew full well of Lee's whereabouts and activities. Anybody can access info. about the WSOP daily results. What I am suggesting is that once the authorities realized there was a boatload of money they made their move. Why not continue to watch this guy's operation? It does seem suspicious.

Now as far as the money not going to a general fund but rather directly into the hands of those responsible for managing entities like a police force, I am from a small town and know full well about corruption running rampant. Perhaps the report on this site was less than accurate in describing how that money was actually handled. One would think a windfall of money would need to be properly disbursed through the proper channels like a governing council?

Lastly, there is no need for you to categorize me like you do. If you have a differing opinion then state it, minus the claims of "ridiculousness" or what have you. I thought you were above that?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote