THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:42pm   #11
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

yeah I hate poors too, they are just so annoying.

next time try something like "OMFG DIE DAMM YOU POOR USELESS MORON"
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:55pm   #12
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

I get approached by beggars/homeless people all the time for $. Sometimes I help them out, sometimes I don't. But what I don't understand, is why so many people freak out about them. Unless you're physically harassed by them or they try to rob you, what right do you have to expect them not to ask you for $? You can always just say no. If you don't like saying no, then that's your conscience talking, not the beggar.

Obvious exceptions would be examples of beggars who are physically aggressive, or if you were, say, a woman being asked for $ at night on a dark street etc. where you have a legitimate fear for your personal safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 7:26pm   #13
b7402j
Doyle Look-alike

b7402j is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to b7402j

I don't mind beggers too much. Online ones can be annoying though. My favorite begger was in Las Vegas. He held a sign that said "why lie, need money for beer". In my drunken state, I promptly gave him twenty bucks.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:11am   #14
JJS6866
Grinder

JJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I don't mind beggers too much. Online ones can be annoying though. My favorite begger was in Las Vegas. He held a sign that said "why lie, need money for beer". In my drunken state, I promptly gave him twenty bucks.

He bought heroin.
JJS6866 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 1:09am   #15
KTC
Grinder

KTC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
Unless you're physically harassed by them or they try to rob you, what right do you have to expect them not to ask you for $?
In the case of online poker chat, they know, you know, they know you know, you know they know you know, ......... that's it's explicitly banned by the poker room and it's annoying as hell, especially those who won't stop asking when you said no.

I've also been to areas where there's exceptionally good looking after of homeless where they have no reason to beg, and you are warn as much when you visit. Once saw a begger driving along happily past at night.

Quote:
Obvious exceptions would be examples of beggars who are physically aggressive
There's one round the corner from me, I'll invite him to your house.
KTC est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:20am   #16
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
In the case of online poker chat, they know, you know, they know you know, you know they know you know, ......... that's it's explicitly banned by the poker room and it's annoying as hell, especially those who won't stop asking when you said no.

I've also been to areas where there's exceptionally good looking after of homeless where they have no reason to beg, and you are warn as much when you visit. Once saw a begger driving along happily past at night.

There's one round the corner from me, I'll invite him to your house.
1. I (rather obviously I might add) was not talking about online beggars. There, the 'right' you have not to be asked by them for money is part of the T&Cs of the site. And I agree with this rule totally.

2. You've seen beggars who aren't poor... ergo what? Obviously there are some people out there abusing other people's kindness. And there are some people who are genuinely poor. I wasn't advocating that anyone give money to a beggar, I was just saying that you (and I, and everyone else) have no 'right' per se not to be asked by them for money. Unless they're violent/aggressive or whatever, they aren't doing anything wrong by asking for money. And, legally speaking at least, you're not doing anything wrong by ignoring them (whether they're the genuine kind or the scammers).

Quote:
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:31pm   #17
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
Sample size = +EV.

Also, why even say 'roughly'. It's exactly 30% ldo.
Oh yeah, It's probably because there are 9 players in a Stars SNG so it's 33% if three are beggars. But I can't remember why I said 'roughly'. I never proof read it .

People who beg are just weak people and I have no time for them, how are we going to progress by donating money to people who can't look after themselves? Beggars have nothing to offer society yet they expect you to give them money? No thanks, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours matey.

I was in KFC the other week and a 'smack head' (that's what we call them over here, they're Heroin addicts) came over to me and said "eh mate have you got £1 for the train the police have just took my car and I need to get home". They all use the same idiotic excuses, anyway I said "no why should I give you some of my hard earned cash? Go and get a job". He snarled at me and said "I'm gonna get my mates down to batter (beat up) you".

What horrible, worthless human being!

That really angered me for the rest of the day, now when a smack head asks me for money I completely and utterly ignore them and pretend they don't exist.
MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 7:11pm   #18
TWLLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK47 View Post
Oh yeah, It's probably because there are 9 players in a Stars SNG so it's 33% if three are beggars. But I can't remember why I said 'roughly'. I never proof read it .

People who beg are just weak people and I have no time for them, how are we going to progress by donating money to people who can't look after themselves? Beggars have nothing to offer society yet they expect you to give them money? No thanks, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours matey.

I was in KFC the other week and a 'smack head' (that's what we call them over here, they're Heroin addicts) came over to me and said "eh mate have you got £1 for the train the police have just took my car and I need to get home". They all use the same idiotic excuses, anyway I said "no why should I give you some of my hard earned cash? Go and get a job". He snarled at me and said "I'm gonna get my mates down to batter (beat up) you".

What horrible, worthless human being!

That really angered me for the rest of the day, now when a smack head asks me for money I completely and utterly ignore them and pretend they don't exist.
When I played SNGs it was mostly at sites where there were 10 people to a table - hence the confusion.

I do, however, want to ask something more substantial. Why do you feel the need to 'tell off' people who are poor/begging, even if you think they're personally responsible for it? In the example above, a simple, 'sorry, no' would have sufficed, no? You didn't need to make some grand point about telling him how hard you work for your money and how he should go get a job etc.

Whether or not what you said is factually correct, as in, this guy is just lazy/stupid or whatever, and is responsible for his being poor, it doesn't make sense to me to antagonize someone like that, especially a stranger whom you can only assume fits your preconceived notions of what a homeless person is and why they beg. You're entitled to your views, but is this the proper way to express them, by mocking someone and then being indignant when they don't take kindly to it?

Personally, I don't have much time for people that I feel could/should work for money instead of begging on the street, however, I'm secure in myself and well-mannered enough not to chastise or denigrate someone just because they happen to ask me for a dollar.

So while I don't think his response is a reasonable one (him making idle threats about battery), do you really think your actions are indicative of a person who should be judging others? How do you not feel bad insulting strangers and kicking them when they're down, even if you assume they are the source of their own oppression?

A drug addict asks you for a quid, you mock him and tell him off, so he makes idle threats at you, and your conclusion is 'what a horrible, worthless human being'? I'm thinking you need to change that sentence from singularity to plurality to grasp the true nature of the interchange.

Quote:
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:26pm   #19
The_Ronin
Grinder

The_Ronin is on a distinguished road

TWLLM, you are maybe the least lucky man,
but
i must tell you,
you are very eloquent with words,
on a verge i almost envey you.
please don't tell me it is that what puts the women in your bed.....

RR

PZ Meyers:
No, I've been avoiding it. Although I adore Spongebob and consider him a sterling role model for all of our fine students at UMM, I have a dread of the Hasselhoff. I'm still traumatized from the Spongebob movie, which was fabulous until the moment the Hasselhoff showed up — and now I have a fear that if I attended the theme park, the Hoff might suddenly show up and offer me a ride. Or a Whopper.

The_Ronin est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 8:30pm   #20
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

I was having a bad day and I just did not like the look of the person in question, I know it was stupid to have a go at him but we all make mistakes.

Their attitude really annoys me, I did actually feel sorry for him a few days later as ultimately it's not really his fault, most of the time I just lie and tell them I have no money or whatever but this one was EXTRA cheeky and just looked like a complete degenerate.

If you where there you would understand why I had a go at him, his tone of voice and his body language was disturbing. He never just asked me either he systematically went through the whole of KFC asking everyone for money, and he wasn't exactly quiet about it. I was sitting there enjoying some of the Colonels finest in the corner of the restaurant and I saw him asking everyone and just knew he was going to ask me, then I had a go at him.

I know the worthless human being line in the last thread was over the top but unfortunately it is true in my opinion.

I personally think these people should be taken off the streets and kept elsewhere and given the drugs they need for free instead of going out begging/stealing/mugging.

At the end of the day Opium is just a plant, how hard is it for our governments to grow some and give the drug addicts their fix instead of letting them run wild.

There would hardly be no beggars if it where not for drugs.
MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote