THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:52pm   #1
Adman
Doyle Look-alike

Adman is infamous around these parts
Default PT stats for high stakes limit players.

I was reading a post over at 2+2 where someone posted a list that he had from his own huge PT database of all the biggest winners in the Stars high stakes limit games at $100/$200 and $200/$400. This particular list also showed stats for all these big winners. What amazed me was how sub-optimal these stats seem! Now I understand that these guys are huge winners in a very big game but their stats were so different from what I consider "good player" stats. I'm talking stuff like VPIP's of 45 and higher and PFR %'s of like 28% and so on. There were very few to none that I would consider TAG types based on their stats.

How can these players win playing so many hands and pumping lots of money into pots with obviously weak hands? I realize that as you get better you can play more and more hands but surely there are limits? Also, with all this money going in with such weak hands, how would a player who played a 30/18/2 type style fare in said games? I realize my questions probably seem a bit silly but I just don't understand how such a style could ever be profitable. I also think that surely a tighter type style would do very well since generally you are going to be putting money in with superior hands and getting your money in "ahead". Obviously these great players would giver the tighter players more respect and fold more to their open raises but given that they all seem to border on maniacal..........?

One of the only really successful high stakes limit players that does seem to be reasonably tight and sensible is Stoxtrader. Is it a coincidence that he is one of the biggest and most successful winners anywhere on the net?

What do you guys think and can anyone shed some light on how these guys are able to get away with playing so wildly? I guess there is a good reason I would not survive at those limits since I can't understand how what these guys do could ever be profitable long term!
Adman est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:31pm   #2
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess that one of the reasons is that at those limits, the tables are usually not full, so there's lots of less-than-6-handed play, but PT doesn't pick up on that. Like, if you're playing 3-handed on a 6-handed table, the stats will get lumped together with real 6-handed play.

Also, yeah, those guys are pretty good probably

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote