THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 05, 2008, 3:48am   #1
jmson23
Brunson

jmson23 is on a distinguished road
Default $2NL - Help me out please

I've realized that I need disipline so I'm going to grind out at least 10k hands at 1c/2c NL on UB. I've played about 500 hands and am actually down a buy-in a half. After reading through my PT hand histories though, I've realized that I had two major spew hands, and that if I had folded much earlier I would be in the green overall. That doesn't make up for my play, but at least I think I've plugged a leak.

My question is, what do you think is a good approach to this game where basically all you can play is the real value of your hand. I've got a strategy and I'd like feedback other than the typical "This limit is easy. Just play ABC poker."

UTG - I raise any PP (unless no one at the table is close to 100 BB), AJs-AKs, KQs, and perhaps a couple of other hands if the table really sucks.

Mid. Pos. - raise all above hands plus any two broadway connectors. I'll limp in if there has been at least another limper with any suited connector, or one gap suited connector.

Late Pos. - play as above plus raise any suited A,K, or Q.

I've realized that preflop is much less important than postflop at this level because you will get called no matter what, so you need to hit your hand and then value bet the hell of out it. I'm still having trouble with bet sizing. I think I'm underbetting a lot because I want to keep people in the hand.

After 500 hands (small sample I know), I'm running 27/12/1.3 How do those numbers look? And also, during Ishbu's 10k challenge he said he limped a ton and tried to stack off with people who couldn't fold top pair. If he or someone else could elaborate on what types of hands he limped that he normally wouldn't that'd be great.

All comments appreciated.

Jameson
jmson23 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 05, 2008, 6:19am   #2
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Most importantly: make huge bets with huge hands. Got AA preflop? raise that to 20 cents! Flopped a set? bet a little over pot size!

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 05, 2008, 7:25am   #3
SidMaynard
Too tired for poker

SidMaynard

Those stats look fine. I think at the micro levels you can't make that big a mistake pre-flop because the implied odds are so big when you hit, as people rarely fold. So micro stakes is predominantly a post flop game - hit your hand and try to extract as much value as possible.

If you are looking for more hands to limp then you could throw in unsuited connectors or any face card, but you should be on the button with multiple limpers in front of you and you really need to hit the flop hard before continuing to put money into the pot.

The thing about limping atc is that you must be able to get away from hands that may be second best. Otherwise you are just spewing money. And from your post you may have a problem with staying too long. You shouldn't think that you have plugged a leak just because you have identified it. Knowing and doing are two completely separate things.

I would stick with your current strategy until you show a profit over 5k hands and then think about expanding on it.
Old Jan 05, 2008, 10:28am   #4
Molinero
Looking at You

Molinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud ofMolinero has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Molinero Send a message via AIM to Molinero Send a message via MSN to Molinero
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
I think at the micro levels you can't make that big a mistake pre-flop because the implied odds are so big when you hit, as people rarely fold. So micro stakes is predominantly a post flop game - hit your hand and try to extract as much value as possible.
That's why I love the micros
Molinero est déconnecté   Reply With Quote