THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:27pm   #21
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

Quote:
There just isn't evidence of the major leaps from the sea to the land and air or evidence of the development of the human species.
This doesn't even come remotely close to being true. Read up imo.

Quote:
And that is something you would have to take by faith, evolution is just a theory after all.
No, it is not just a theory. It is a *scientific* theory. So is gravity. And you know what, if I jump up in the air, I'll be coming back down every single time. There is absolutely no faith involved when the thing can be demonstrated time and time and time again.

Last edited by skeptix82; Jan 09, 2008 at 7:30pm.
skeptix82 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:27pm   #22
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Ok I'll bite. What you talked about in your original post is not evolution. Natural selection (in the evolutionary sense) does not really happen anymore in human society AFAIK.

Are you sure? Wouldn't gays be an example? I mean, they aren't breeding so couldn't you say that they are a prime example. I think if evolution is true, they will eventually all be gone, right?

The inability (or unwillingness) to breed has to be genetic flaw #1, right?

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:31pm   #23
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

The question should not be "Is creationism or evolution right?". The question should be "What theory best describes the world we live in; which theory can explain the most things and make good predictions"

Stephen Hawking calls this the positivist approach or so. In that spotlight the whole debate over what is "correct" evaporates; one can simply state that creationism doesn't explain a thing and doesn't make any predictions whatsoever, hence it's a terrible theory. Believing in it or not is simply irrelevant.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:32pm   #24
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptix82 View Post
This doesn't even come remotely close to being true. Read up imo.
Come on Skep, you know that there isn't acceptance in the scientific community that the gaps have been bridged. Its like global warming, everyone agrees that the climate is changing because the data says so, but none knows the cause for sure. Its theoretical.

Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:32pm   #25
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
We can easily take the position that aliens have visited here from time to time and tweaked the various species. After all, we have achieved genetic engineering. That theory makes more sense than macroevolution. And it would fit with ancients myths to some extent.
This is insanity. The level of conjecture is astronomical.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:34pm   #26
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Evolution should be taught in schools as the prevailing theory, other viewpoints should be taught as well, given that fact that throughout human history the vast majority of people on the Earth has believed in the Gods and may well be right.
Evolution should be taught as the *only* *scientific* theory. Other, *non-scientific* conjectures can be taught in a college theology or philosophy course. They have absolutely no place in a science class.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:38pm   #27
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Damn I feel like I am sucking Skeptix's dick but from now on I am only going to comment on his posts when I disagree with him, since that seems the rarer of the two. Post #20 was great. I have spent many nights (the whole night mind you 11pm-5am) talking to my friends and family of just such matters.

Also after watching The Universe series, I have come away with a higher view of humans as a whole. The fact that we have been able to come up with so many fascinating theories (that appear to be correct with the current data) with brilliant observations and mathematics is amazing to me.

Also thanks to that show I now grasp the idea of the fabric of space/time. The History Channel is one of the last of the dieing breeds of useful channels that still kick ass...
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:39pm   #28
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Arrogance is an evolutionist looking down his nose at a creationist, both having a theory and neither proof.
I don't know where to begin with this.

I'm not looking down my nose at you. I am not trying to make fun of you or any such thing. But I am telling you how it is in the scientific realm. There is absolutely no room for theological conjecture.

You again try to put evolution on an equal footing with creationism/ID. This is again, not the case. We not only have a theory, we have *massively overwhelming* evidence that this is how it happened. You have a theological conjecture with no evidence aside from tradition and word of mouth.

To equate the two is madness.
Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:42pm   #29
jimmytrick
Professional

When you guys take some single celled organism from the sea and observe it turn into, alternately, a fish, a bird, a reptile, and a mammal, everytime Skep jumps up and down, without tampering with it in anyway whatsoever, then I will accept evolution as scientific proof.

Bubbleboy makes a point that its isn't really worth debating, except that if evolutionists start to label creationists as ignorant and stupid then I think that it is prudent to point out that once upon a time the consensus of the world's scientific community was that the sun orbited the earth.

And if you say that those early scientists were ignorant, then realize that four or five hundred years from future scientists will most probably feel the same way about today's scientific community.

Old Jan 09, 2008, 7:44pm   #30
skeptix82
Making Monies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytrick View Post
Come on Skep, you know that there isn't acceptance in the scientific community that the gaps have been bridged. Its like global warming, everyone agrees that the climate is changing because the data says so, but none knows the cause for sure. Its theoretical.
You cannot purport your view by questioning another.

The gaps you speak of are minor pieces of the larger puzzle which has already been largely disseminated. They are scientific discoveries waiting to happen.