Other 2 4.35%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:32pm   #21
Notjitsu
Professional

Notjitsu will become famous soon enoughNotjitsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptix82 View Post
I was gonna say "at least they got one right". But then I rethought it and said to myself "young?" But then I rerethought it and said to myself "I guess 40 is younger than 50".

I heard there was this one guy running...studied economics his whole life...understands our problems...how to solve them...but fuck that guy. Amirite? Crazy practical solutions FTL.
I consider 50 young in regards to presidential politics. And Paul is a southern christian. But at 70+ he doesn't exactly add a shot of youth which I think will be necessary for McCain. And Paul isn't rallying the base, and he will turn off a lot of people. And he has some mild foreign policy differences. And he'd have to spend his entire time explaining why he doesn't like Abraham Lincoln. Which regardless of his intent (I certainly don't know the correctness of his theories), Abe is someone you generally don't want to badmouth in a general election.

There are I think 6 or 7 people who have studied the economy their entire lives, probably one of them will fit better with McCain.
Notjitsu est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:39pm   #22
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to skeptix82

They are only impractical if you don't really understand the policies. Your fear-mongering with regards to ACist philosophy is based on widely assumed misinterpretations.

For example, privatization=bad. Privatization is only bad when headed by the government. As we *should* all know, monopolies are only allowed to exist through the strong hand of government, nowadays further fueled by mass media conglomerates. A truly free market with regards to health care would see costs drastically reduced. You would also see many hospitals run by churches or other organizations that would, in fact, provide free health care to those in need. The market tends to sort itself out with regard to supply and demand.

But to me, all of this really pales in comparison to our imperialism. It does nothing good for us, creates a lot of future problems, costs a shitload of money and of course there are all the people that needlessly die in the process. In my view, any person of sensible morals/principles would understand how incredibly horrible this imperialism is and demand a stop to it immediately. This is fascism people. We are the fascist invader.

You guys can go ahead and vote for different shades of bullshit and think that anything will *actually* change. To me it's just a matter of how bad things will be.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:44pm   #23
Notjitsu
Professional

The one thing I don't understand about the 'flat tax' is that wealthy people building billions of dollars of wealth are doing so tax free. Seems like that moolah would be missed a lot.

Is the theory that they will be investing in new stuff, and by doing so stimulate the economy enough to offset it? Seems like too big a shortfall to make up.

The theory of moving the corporate tax down the line seems to make sense though. If we're paying the 1 of tax regardless of whether its built in to the price or a flat tax, its better to have us pay it as a flat tax so things are more competitive overseas. Seems like thats something that should be looked into regardless.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:46pm   #24
skeptix82
Making Monies

skeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud ofskeptix82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjitsu View Post
I consider 50 young in regards to presidential politics. And Paul is a southern christian. But at 70+ he doesn't exactly add a shot of youth which I think will be necessary for McCain. And Paul isn't rallying the base, and he will turn off a lot of people. And he has some mild foreign policy differences. And he'd have to spend his entire time explaining why he doesn't like Abraham Lincoln. Which regardless of his intent (I certainly don't know the correctness of his theories), Abe is someone you generally don't want to badmouth in a general election.

There are I think 6 or 7 people who have studied the economy their entire lives, probably one of them will fit better with McCain.
I wasn't suggesting that he could be VP, he wouldn't accept from any other candidate (he's principled, whatever the fuck that means).

I was just being coy, but I think you know that.

The Lincoln thing is interesting to me. He was probably gay for one thing, which doesn't really change things for me, but I'm sure it will affect other's view. Also, one of the strongest held assumptions of this country is that we fought the civil war to end slavery. But that's really not the crux of the issue. The crux of the issue was succession. While I obviously abhor slavery, I don't really see why the southern states shouldn't have been allowed to become their own union.

Paul is not a smart politician, because he's not really a politician. He tells it like it is to about 90% capacity, whereas I'd put most other politicians around 10%. This is not an effective strategy in today's sound bite echo chamber, but he's a principled man, so take that to mean what you will.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:49pm   #25
skeptix82
Making Monies

While you might be able to fudge the numbers a bit, you're not going to really change the tax code unless you completely overhaul it, and imo that involves getting rid of the FED.

This is pretty constantly the issue for me... I see people arguing the specifics of something while I try and argue with regards to the foundations.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 7:09pm   #26
Notjitsu
Professional

Motivations are a weird thing, because they really only apply to the people who hold them. If Lincoln didn't care about slavery and just didn't like succession, does that mean I can't find the civil war justified for the anti-slavery impact that existed regardless of his motivation?

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

Not Americans. All men. That's why I don't think succession would be acceptable in the case of the South back in the day.

I am of the opinion that Lincoln's sexuality is unrelated to the correctness of the Civil War.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 8:32pm   #27
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptix82 View Post
monopolies are only allowed to exist through the strong hand of government,
They can also exist when for example the production of an item is such that the bigger the factory is (simplified), the smaller the cost of producing each item is. If the government left the companies producing that item alone, they would have an incentive to merge because they would make more money as one company than they do combined now (they could charge the same price, but have lower costs).

A company based on hard to substitute patented stuff will also be a monopoly for many years.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:25pm   #28
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on one minute, McCain is a Republican? Since when?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:44pm   #29
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

whoever voted hillary clinton, please get out of this forum
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:27am   #30
eric melvin rules
Grinder

eric melvin rules is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketJokers View Post
whoever voted hillary clinton, please get out of this forum
I'm not sure you understood the poll...
eric melvin rules est déconnecté   Reply With Quote