German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Site Reviews

Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:53pm   #1
DeepBurner
Fish

DeepBurner is on a distinguished road
Default What makes a good poker table?

Hello,

I'm currently doing a project (for one of the major poker sites) where I'm designing the ideal online poker table and would really appreciate your input as I'm a relatively novice player.

What features and functionality (chat, stats, info on players, action buttons etc.) on the table are key and is there any additional functionality that would be useful that no online site currently has.

Which site do you enjoy playing on the most and why?

Thanks in advance for your input.
DeepBurner est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:05pm   #2
NipSC4328
Doyle Look-alike

NipSC4328

It would be nice if the "Check or Fold" button didn't turn into "Call" or "Raise" just as I was trying to check

"the second thing to go is your memory, and the first thing is ..."
NipSC4328 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:04pm   #3
AceSweaty
Grinder

AceSweaty is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's a major fault with pacific software. Here's a few things that come to mind:

1) See above

2) No bet pot function, some will disagree but I think it can make complete novices play slightly better without realising why, which is never a good thing.

3) Prob most important: easy rebuy before the next hand in cash games, like stars and to some extent VC poker, it helps if a reload can be prepared during a hand not necessarily after a hand where it's a race against time, which is often lost when playing multiple tables.

4) A raise bar which has increments that are in line with typical raising standards. For example at 10NL, increments every 10cents to $1, then every 50 cents to say $3, then every $1 from there.

5) Player classification notes are cool features of pacific and ongame. They provide little logos by certain players names which once marked can help identify the type of player for future confrontation.

6) A 'sit-out' period as long as possible, say 5 orbits of a 6-max table.

7) A 'stop playing you're on tilt' message that appears when you're 5 buy-in's down.

Hhhmmmm there must be more...
AceSweaty est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 8:19pm   #4
eli924
Doyle Look-alike

eli924 will become famous soon enougheli924 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceSweaty View Post

7) A 'stop playing you're on tilt' message that appears when you're 5 buy-in's down.

I like that one : )

Eli
eli924 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 5:36am   #5
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

FT's Hand History

UB's Hand Speed

I disagree; I like bet pot, it makes fish play worse since 'bet pot' becomes 'generic large bet' to them and they make inappropriately sized bets a lot because of it.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 8:53am   #6
DeepBurner
Fish

DeepBurner is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm currently trying to decide how to handle multiple tables. It's quite a tricky one in terms of screen space... any suggestions? What do you think is the
optimum amount of tables we should be designing for? Also if you're playing four or more table what information do you need access to quickly? I'm presuming chat/dealer summary can be removed (and be displayed when required).

Also would people prefer multiple tables to be in individual windows as is currently the case on most tables or tables to be within one main window?

Thanks again for the feedback.
DeepBurner est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 11:48am   #7
AceSweaty
Grinder

AceSweaty is on a distinguished road

It would depend, you must have some idea of the smallest possible table size? As an estimate 6 tables would probably just about fit most small laptop screens.
Oh and that point about hand histories is really important when multi-tabling. A quick pull down box with the hand history and mucked cards clearly displayed is really important. At sites where a browser is opened it's really difficult to look at the hand histories when multitabling.
AceSweaty est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2008, 11:57pm   #8
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Saporoger is on a distinguished road

Ask your PM to give you and few another developers/QA folks $300 and a week to play 5-8 sites
You would answer the most of your own questions then.
And try to play the same stuff at 21" and at 12,1" notebook.

The best software for me: pstarts, then FTP, the worst one I've used Absolute Poker.
Why?
+ great support
+ easy and self describing
+ www part is great as well
+ different filters
+ easy to configure to be what you're trying to get
+ big amount of functionality (some of them you'll never need), but great to have it and its looks not to have "featuritis"
+ great network reconnect functionality even if you have been "24h 1-minute disconnected" by ISP while playing important tourney or your neighbour's WLAN sucks..
+ configurable skins, seats, chats, rebuys, notifications..
+ player notes
+ request ... menu
+ find a player
+ a huge crop of any kind of tourneys and games/tables/ with different limits
+ the software is really stable
+ seems to be secure..
- running on windows only with root rights
- no support for any other OS at all

What the most of the sites don't have:
All the player notes and settings you'll made are stored at your local HDD, if you'll change your WS, you will not get all you've configured/written down, make it be on the server side, even if it looks a bit to expensive for the first time.

Next point:
The most of that software is damn again written for damn windows dudes, that forces me to use this damn "OS" as its running really terrible in a software emulator on linux having all kinds of different UI artefacts even network interrupts and core dumps.

Use Java or a toolkit like Qt /wxWidgets if you're afraid of beeing cracked. Note Qt is supporting much more OS's than Java. Its big, but you can strip the most of them down.
Or write the core for each OS (or cross platform) native and use Java as the frontend together with JNI. Will make easier to port for a mobile devices, if you'll ever try.

Use reliable crypto library like openssl, don't offer/allow not crypted traffic.
Hire enough folks to have good support team at least for the first time.

And finally, gimme a beer to have written it down

P.S.: don't offer any info on players that one dindt made by itself or wouldnt get in the public (TLB, etc.), your users should trust you, if they wouldnt, you're done.

Last edited by Saporoger; Feb 02, 2008 at 12:02am.
Saporoger est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2008, 12:51am   #9
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

^^ I agree!

Except the part about the OS - unless you want to flush your business down the toilet then write it for Windows first and secondly for mac.

The other option is to make it web based - but people are not ready for 100% thin clients.

The two main things I can points are:

SIMPLE TABLE! - Keep it clear and sparten - you may have great graphic designers - but I don't care about random hi rez pictures for each table position!

LIKE STARS - they are the market leader for a reason - if you want an alternative checkout carbonpoker.com - they use flash and remain pretty slick. Full tilt has the best branding and themes and also good software overall.

With regards multi-tables: RESIZEABLE and SEPERATE WINDOWS - giving the option for all in one would be a nice bonus.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2008, 11:16am   #10
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Saporoger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by staphros View Post
^^ I agree!

Except the part about the OS - unless you want to flush your business down the toilet then write it for Windows first and secondly for mac.
[...]
Well why writing it for a single OS, if one could use one of the cross platform libraries and support > 5 from begin on?
Saporoger est déconnecté   Reply With Quote