German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Jan 30, 2008, 6:14pm   #1
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Saporoger is on a distinguished road
Default AA pockets in a MTT were my dead

Hello everyone!

I've played a low limit MTT tournament yesterday and got kicked out holding AA pockets in my hands.

Well, here is the game:

The blinds were about $1,000-$2,000 + $200 ante, 128 out of 4119 players left.
Average stack: $40,000, I had about $65,000 in tournament chips.

I was in late position, 1-2 places behind the button. A tight agressive playing 100,000 stack player did a bet from early position, another a bit more agressive two players with about 45k and 65k stacks in early and middle position called. I've looked at my hand to find sweet black AA pockets, well, I thought its time to double or even tripple up.

I decided to maximize the pot and to kick at least one of them out.
I entered the pot with 6,000 raise, one player behind that one under the gun folded.

The flop comes rainbow 7h Qs Kc.

Early position player checked, the other one did a bed of 6,000, I thought a bit about what would be the good amount for my re-raise (I was sure I had the best hand and the board was not that dangerous) and reraised up to 18,000.

Well, the raiser called, we were heads up.

Turn comes 4s, my opponent cheked, I've fired a half of my remaining stack and saw my opponent going all in, well I called.

I was still sure to have the best hand and was sure he would not have his runner-runner flush draw, at that point he could have 4 spades, but I thought he would have top pair or str8 draw, otherwise, why the hell would he raise and call my raises?

The river comes 8s, I turned pocket aces, my opponent his runner-runner nut flush with As7s hand.

I was kicked out at #128 and gained $1,25 by $0.25 entry fee. The first place would get about $400, not much for 4-5h playing but stil ok only for $0.25 entry fee.

Did I played to bad? Was it my fortune telling me that its the best time to sleep?

One of the last sentence of the winner of that round was:
Never slow play AA.

Was it really slow play? What would be the ideal way to play my hand under described circumstances?

Cheers,
Saporoger

Last edited by Saporoger; Jan 30, 2008 at 7:06pm.
Saporoger est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:18pm   #2
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

You played it fine and got sucked out. Don't worry about it. He was drawing to 2 outs for the trips and a 4% chance for a runner runner flush off of the flop. It happens though.
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:12pm   #3
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Confusing raise amounts. How much did the original raiser raise preflop? Did you raise 6000 more? Mostly likely this is way too small. So I would raise more most likely. Other than that it was fine.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:32pm   #4
martymars
Flop Artist

martymars is on a distinguished road

Don't even try the re raise stuff, just move allin pre flop with AA here. Everytime I try to slow play big poket pair they always get cracked.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:57pm   #5
Lime And Coconut
Brunson

Lime And Coconut is on a distinguished road

Definetly raise more preflop. Even all in seems fine.
Lime And Coconut est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:16am   #6
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymars View Post
Don't even try the re raise stuff, just move allin pre flop with AA here. Everytime I try to slow play big poket pair they always get cracked.
Whlie there is certainly nothing wrong with going all-in with aces, it is an awful waste of value. 95% of the time you won't get anything but the blinds, and maybe a limper or two. Against one player you have about an 87% chance to win a much bigger pot if you play them for value. Now this doesn't necessarily mean slow play them, but to actually play them. You'll get way more value out of hands like tp on the flop if you wait to shove. He raised and got it heads up, which is the goal of a preflop raise with aces. He got all his money in the pot with an 83% chance to double his stack. He got sucked out.

It's simple math, you can push aces and get the blinds 95% of the time and when you get a caller have them at a 80/20, or you can play for value, and in this guys case get all his money in as an 83/17 favorite, and in most cases take a pot larger than just the blinds by getting a caller or two and betting out the pot or more on the flop.
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:20am   #7
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Confusing raise amounts. How much did the original raiser raise preflop? Did you raise 6000 more? Mostly likely this is way too small. So I would raise more most likely. Other than that it was fine.
He didnt raised, just called the $2,000 bet.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:34am   #8
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Just another $2,5+0,25 tournament I've been knocked out about 30 minutes ago.

Got short stacked ($5,000 by 22k average stacks), under the gun guys bets $3,200, blinds were $800-$1600 + 200 ante, I moved all in at BB with QQ, had tight table image, everyone folds, heads up, he showed his pockets 4, and...got 4444.

#206 out of 2840 and $5.68 gain, seems to be the same shit each time
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:47am   #9
Saporoger
Flop Artist

Agree with you kmay06, thought could get few callers and then kick them out on the flop and kick the last one on turn or get him all in.

Don't know whether or not I would play it the same way next time, think, I would raise more preflop, more on flop and go all in on turn, if I still have the best of it.

Tomorrow will come, next tournament will follow..I'll see..
Old Jan 31, 2008, 2:20am   #10
VADERPOWER
Brunson

VADERPOWER will become famous soon enough

srry, what site was this? if it was fulltilt, thats no suprise at all. big pairs NEVER win on that f-in site. late
VADERPOWER est déconnecté   Reply With Quote