THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jan 31, 2008, 3:35pm   #1
Adman
Doyle Look-alike

Adman is infamous around these parts
Default Getting popped on the turn.

Lately I have been running pretty bad. I just finished a 3/6 session where I lost $350 and basically could not win a single hand for like 4 hours. I feel as though every time I raise and bet the flop and turn, I end up getting raised on the turn and am forced to fold my no pair hand (I am basically missing every single flop).

How often do you guys call down with A high in short games? I feel as though I am becoming known as a "folder" and one of the top players on the site (at my limits) who I respect greatly said to me in chat that he thinks I am laying down too many hands to turn raises. He said I am not seeing enough showdowns. I feel as though I am getting run over although every time I think "fuck it, I'm not folding again" and call down they do indeed have the hand they are representing or at least a pair which makes me think that I am better off following my reads and laying down to the raises.

I'm just kind of lost at the moment, I cannot hit a flop and I think I am being run over. I don't want to turn into a calling station but I also don't want to be bluff raised out of every pot I play. Help!
Adman est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 31, 2008, 6:13pm   #2
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

Being raised on the turn is one of the nastiest situation in FL, especailly when you hold no pair. but it's becoming more and more popular in aggressive games thanks to a certain Stoxtrader. I used the move quite frequently in the PTips game I video'd recently (should be out tomorrow) because it gets maximum value for your good hands and also makes a very convincing bluff in the right circumstances.

What you do depends very much on the player you're up against, but even at 1/2 I find myself calling down with A-high fairly frequently. (I have about a 36% WSD overall, starting off on a 27/17 base and I consider myself fairly foldy for 27/17 stats, I know 30/20's who see showdown almost 45% of the time)

For me it's all about board texture and opposition when you're raised on the turn, if the board's drawy and the opposition aggressive I'll give serious though to calling down, if it's dry and the opposition a standard TAG I'm more likely to give credit where credit is due and fold.

Sometimes calling down with A-High will be wrong but that's fine becaseu it sets you up to look like an unbluffable call station and there are a couple of guys in the games I've played who I've almost got trained to stop bluffing me becaseu they think I'll always call, they're certainly more careful now.

What I'd look for are flush/straight draws and low/paired boards to look at calling down on. If you catch your man in the act then that's awesome if not, fine. at least you;v set up a bit of an image. Semi-Bluffing the turn, especailly when picking up a draw is becoming more popular now and calling down light is just a consequence of that though.

Enough practice and it becomes easier to see where they are making moves.

You could just be running badly, it happens. Calling down becasue you always think you're being bluffed is one of the first signs of tilt in FL. If you were unsure of situations it'd be good if you could post the hands and we'll see if there's a pattern emerging.

Hope this helped, not sure how useful it is

Boomer

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:35am   #3
StillNoSleep
Fish

StillNoSleep is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to StillNoSleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adman View Post
Lately I have been running pretty bad. I just finished a 3/6 session where I lost $350 and basically could not win a single hand for like 4 hours. I feel as though every time I raise and bet the flop and turn, I end up getting raised on the turn and am forced to fold my no pair hand (I am basically missing every single flop).

How often do you guys call down with A high in short games? I feel as though I am becoming known as a "folder" and one of the top players on the site (at my limits) who I respect greatly said to me in chat that he thinks I am laying down too many hands to turn raises. He said I am not seeing enough showdowns. I feel as though I am getting run over although every time I think "fuck it, I'm not folding again" and call down they do indeed have the hand they are representing or at least a pair which makes me think that I am better off following my reads and laying down to the raises.

I'm just kind of lost at the moment, I cannot hit a flop and I think I am being run over. I don't want to turn into a calling station but I also don't want to be bluff raised out of every pot I play. Help!
Drop down about two levels and play some ABC poker very aggressively. Raise everytime you think you should probally call (flop and turn). This is what I do when I feel like Im being run over and it always tends to put some balance back in my game. Helps if the problem is more of a mental one on your end than anything else.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:59am   #4
gustavv
High Roller

gustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond reputegustavv has a reputation beyond repute

The question always is: What does you opponent expect ? If he expects you to fold, then call. If he can be sure you will call fold.
Esp. in high stakes games you can be sure that someone will raise you on turn with nothing just he thinks that you have also nothing. Its much easier to raise with nothing than to call with nothing.

Quote:
Kommentar:
Experte darf sich jeder nennen. Das Wort ist nicht geschützt. Also weisse bescheid? Euer Kommentar- Experte

Quote:
Seid ihr und ist das deutsche Volk entschlossen, wenn die Kanzlerin es befiehlt, zehn, zwölf und - wenn nötig - vierzehn und sechzehn Stunden täglich zu arbeiten und das Letzte herzugeben für den Euro?
gustavv est déconnecté   Reply With Quote