THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:42am   #1
Loder89
Gambler

Loder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant future
Default two hands I wasn't sure about my play

The first one:

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 PL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $36.40
BB: $25
Hero (UTG): $19.65
UTG+1: $19.70
MP: $25
CO: $15
BTN: $23.90

MP posts $0.25
CO posts $0.25
Pre-Flop: A A dealt to Hero (UTG)
Hero raises to $1.25, 5 folds, BB calls $1

Flop: ($3.10) 4 5 6 (2 Players)
BB bets $2.95, Hero calls $2.95

Turn: ($9) 3 (2 Players)
BB bets $8.60, Hero folds

Results: $9 Pot ($0.40 Rake)
BB mucked and WON $8.60 (+$4.40 NET)

SHould I raise on the flop?
I felt quite lost in that hand... I hate folding Aces!

And just the next hand at that tabke.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 PL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players

CO: $7
BTN: $36.30
SB: $29.40
Hero (BB): $15.45
UTG: $19.70
UTG+1: $24.75
MP1: $14.75
MP2: $23.90

CO posts $0.25
Pre-Flop: K A dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $0.75, 2 folds, CO raises to $1.25, BTN calls $1.25, SB calls $1.15, Hero raises to $7, UTG+1 raises to $16.50, CO calls $5.75 and is All-In, 2 folds, Hero calls $8.45 and is All-In

Flop: ($40.65) 4 K K (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Turn: ($40.65) Q (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($40.65) 4 (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $40.65 Pot ($2 Rake)
CO mucked 9 9 and LOST (-$7.25 NET)
Hero showed K A (a full house, Kings full of Fours) and WON $38.40 (+$22.95 NET)
UTG+1 mucked 6 6 and LOST (-$15.45 NET)
Loder89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:07pm   #2
Loder89
Gambler

Loder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant future

Same session. Villain seemed to tilt a bit.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 PL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players

UTG+1: $6.10
MP: $32.95
CO: $16.05
Hero (BTN): $49.50
SB: $23.60
BB: $15.60
UTG: $11.55

Pre-Flop: Q Q dealt to Hero (BTN)
3 folds, CO raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, 2 folds, CO calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.85) 4 6 2 (2 Players)
CO bets $2, Hero raises to $6, CO raises to $11.25, Hero raises to $16.50, CO calls $2.55 and is All-In

Turn: ($32.45) A (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($32.45) J (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $32.45 Pot ($1.60 Rake)
CO showed 6 2 (two pair, Sixes and Deuces) and WON $30.85 (+$14.80 NET)
Hero mucked Q Q and LOST (-$16.05 NET)

I actually put him on 88-JJ once he called my reraise. with any better Pair he would have shoved I think.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 1:33pm   #3
eric melvin rules
Grinder

eric melvin rules is on a distinguished road

I raise all day on the flop in the first hand. I give donk-bets zero respect on boards like this until I'm shown otherwise. I don't really like it but I'd also fold on the turn as played. Was that a pot-sized raise pre-flop? I can't tell how many people posted blinds, but I think you could've raised more (?) -- you should definitely be potting it pre-flop anyway.

Second hand is fine. I'm a little confused why you posted it.

In both hands -- reload to 100bb pre-flop.

Third hand was well played, just unlucky that the moron flopped two pair on you. If he's going to be calling 3-bets OOP with 62o you'll get your money back fairly quickly anyway.
eric melvin rules est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 2:04pm   #4
imtb
Brunson

imtb is on a distinguished road

agree with eric,

you have to raise the flop bet in the hand#1.......
imtb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:09pm   #5
Hawkwynd
Brunson

Hawkwynd is on a distinguished road

I think the bottom two were played fine. The first hand, I agree with Eric and imtb, more preflop and reraise the flop, deny the villain proper pot odds / implied odds to chase the draw (unlikely he has a made hand that beats you on the flop, most likely a 4 straight). If villain calls with improper odds, he is making a mistake.

hijack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric melvin rules View Post
In both hands -- reload to 100bb pre-flop.
This advise seems to present itself frequently and I have read much discussion and thought a good bit about it.

Why is the general consensus to constantly reload to 100BB?

I am challenged to find any major benefit of 100BB over say 60 - 75BB. And, I feel that it gives LAGs and hyper-aggressives implied odds to chase draws and to semi-bluff you more frequently.

The most common argument I read is that you are denying yourself profit opportunities when it comes time to shove. Of course this is true if you are shoving (and someone calls with an equally deep stack) with the best hand every time but honestly, this doesn't happen with much frequency (at least for me).

The trouble I have is weighing the benefit of increased BB/100 by deep stacking versus the denying of implied odds to the lagtards.

Someone convince me... please.. (I really do want to make more $$).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidMaynard View Post
Or: Shut Up and Deal

Last edited by Hawkwynd; Feb 23, 2008 at 4:12pm.
Hawkwynd est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:27pm   #6
Grisu_1981
Grinder

Grisu_1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwynd View Post
Why is the general consensus to constantly reload to 100BB?
If you have an edge over your opponent you will be able to win more $$ from them with deeper stacks. If they make more mistakes than you do, you would want them to make those mistakes with the deepest possible stacks, no?

The thing about the implied odds problem you mention is that those don't only depend on the stacks but also on the player. Again, if you are the better player than your opponent you want to gamble for the most money possible as they will offer you good implied odds not the other way round.

If you are a bad player buying in shorter denies some of the edge of your opponent as you will end up all-in on the flop regularly and can't be outplayed. Then it's just about chosing the cards you want to take to showdown.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:32pm   #7
Poke her blind ante
Banned

Poke her blind ante is on a distinguished road

If you are better than the table then you always want the maximum possible money in your stack at all times. The reasoning is you're assuming to put your stack in the middle while ahead 51% of the time. The more money you're putting into the middle 51% of the time the more you win in the long run. Also having 100BB's gives you better implied odds.

Agree with everything about the last 2 hands but in the first hand what's the problem with cold calling the flop? You'll intice many second best hands into betting or check calling a brick on the turn. What if said villain has (22, 77, 88, TT, JJ, QQ, KK, KdQd?) let these hands hang themselves.

btw i'm not saying it's wrong to raise the flop, if you have an aggressive image then raising here is perfect but threatening to end the hand here by raising with a tighter image only serves to give weaker hands the chance to escape. I play this flop differently according to my image and villains image.

I'm more inclined to cold call the flop if

A - Villain's been seen to 2 barrel with fragile hands
B - Villain's been betting lots of flops
C - My image is tight
D - Villain can't stand up to raises, cold call and extract more value from the turn

Remeber it's not a race to win the pot but a job of getting weaker hands deeper into pots by showing a sign of weakness yourself.
Poke her blind ante est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:09pm   #8
eric melvin rules
Grinder

eric melvin rules is on a distinguished road

I'd be raising him with air here as well, so I figure I should probably also do it when I have a hand...
eric melvin rules est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:33pm   #9
Poke her blind ante
Banned

Poke her blind ante is on a distinguished road

What are you hoping to acheive in each of the following scenario's?

1 - He's bet pot on flop you raise with air

2 - He's bet pot on flop you raise with the AA
Poke her blind ante est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:40am   #10
Loder89
Gambler

Thx for the replies guys. I am just trying to post some of my big hands since I lost a lot in the last days and I'm wondering if it was bad luck or just bad play! I am down 5 buy-ins right now and that's my biggest downswing so far and I just try to analyze as much as I can.
The reason I don't fill up all time to the 100BB is that I don't have PT and I am just tracking statistics with Check Your Bets so it is easier to see the results.