THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Site Reviews

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:19am   #1
chefski
Grinder

chefski
Default Houston, we have a problem...

I do not know how much there really is to this, but is happening a bit too much for my comfort level to not inquire about something being askew.

I notice a complete different style, cards, and results of play away from my home computer...night and day results across the board. When on the laptop remotely while traveling, my numbers are way different (more normal actually) and do not suffer anywhere near the bad beats as at home. It is truly uncanny and has happened consistently.

Is there any remote possibility that somehow, someway, Stars can get info from my home IP or computer address that flags my play any differently? It really is VERY different and just feels like something is wrong from the home computer...VERY wrong!

chefski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:30am   #2
Joes28
Grinder

Joes28 is on a distinguished road

maybe u just play different on ur different computer so u get better results.
Joes28 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:38am   #3
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

You are probably running a little hot (we'd all like to think that 'normal' is winning every time we're a slightly ahead) on your laptop and possibly a little cold on your desktop. Pure coincidence. I'm willing to wager your sample size over which you noticed this is a few dozen tourneys at most, in other words, a JOKE.

Last edited by WaxHaX0rS; Feb 25, 2008 at 5:01am.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:27am   #4
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

It is just a coincidence.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:42am   #5
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Variance happens. My December upswing was beyond sick and a downswing I had early last year was equally sick. Sometimes you go 50 or more tournaments without a final table, other times you make three final tables in two days. It feels like you're not doing anything different, sometimes you're making mistakes without noticing and other times you're just running hot or cold and winning or losing key flips.
SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:38pm   #6
chefski
Grinder

chefski

Hey guys, with all due respect, this is not my first rodeo and I clearly understand variance and runs. But this is just weird, and has been going on for two years, not just a small sample.

Aside from whether it is coincidence or variance (whatever), what my main question is, do the poker rooms have any data/cookies or IP info on your computer at any level that can identify you for any reason? I know they do identify IP addresses and assuming computer info as well to assist in cheating or collusion and wanted to know if there are indeed identifying me differently from my home computer vs. traveling/remote?

I'll share my theory on this once I know more about how they identify you...

Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:57pm   #7
chefski
Grinder

chefski

I will not bore you guys with bad beat stories, or hand histories but I am here to tell without a doubt you that there is a problem with whatever info/method (or tagging) is being obtained from my home computer.

There is just no possible way that I can suffer the level of come-from-behind plays that I am experiencing. It is consistent, relentless, and statistically impossible. Fuck variance, luck, or any other random stat you want to throw out there, it just cannot happen with the regularity I am seeing and the gap is too wide. And, it is not so much the cards as the timing...I am telling you, I'm calling BS big time and will not rest until I get answers. This is not a paranoid rant about running bad, it is a problem and the minute I am away from the home computer working on my laptop remotely, I do encounter the usual terrible beats/cards on occasion, but solid winning poker prevails unlike at home. I have the stats over two years to prove it and it hit me like a brick when I did an audit/review of everything on dates.

It is so far beyond just Aces getting cracked or getting runner runners from behind blah, blah blah...there IS a serious problem and I need to get to the bottom on it. Not playing from home again until I get this worked out.

Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:09pm   #8
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefski View Post
I will not bore you guys with bad beat stories, or hand histories but I am here to tell without a doubt you that there is a problem with whatever info/method (or tagging) is being obtained from my home computer.

There is just no possible way that I can suffer the level of come-from-behind plays that I am experiencing. It is consistent, relentless, and statistically impossible. Fuck variance, luck, or any other random stat you want to throw out there, it just cannot happen with the regularity I am seeing and the gap is too wide. And, it is not so much the cards as the timing...I am telling you, I'm calling BS big time and will not rest until I get answers. This is not a paranoid rant about running bad, it is a problem and the minute I am away from the home computer working on my laptop remotely, I do encounter the usual terrible beats/cards on occasion, but solid winning poker prevails unlike at home. I have the stats over two years to prove it and it hit me like a brick when I did an audit/review of everything on dates.

It is so far beyond just Aces getting cracked or getting runner runners from behind blah, blah blah...there IS a serious problem and I need to get to the bottom on it. Not playing from home again until I get this worked out.
If your sample size is sufficient to rule out variance, than it is more likely that your playing style is different than on your home computer. AFAIK they have to ask to review your computer specifications. And what is your theory? That they rig something so that people on PCs get more bad beats? What would be the reason for that?

Post some of your statistics like hands played and in what position, whatever you have, and we can try to figure it out.
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:12pm   #9
riccohb
Grinder

riccohb

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefski View Post
This is not a paranoid rant about running bad
par·a·noi·a /ˌpærəˈnɔɪə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[par-uh-noi-uh] Pronunciation Key - –noun 1.Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission. 2.baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others
3. the belief that Pokerstars are sleeping with your wife and are looking for any possible reason to get you working on your laptop away from home.

Also, par·a·noe·a /ˌpærəˈniə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[par-uh-nee-uh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.

[Origin: 1805–15; < NL < Gk paránoia madness. See para-, nous, -ia]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
riccohb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:27pm   #10
AceSweaty
Grinder

AceSweaty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccohb View Post
par·a·noi·a /ˌpærəˈnɔɪə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[par-uh-noi-uh] Pronunciation Key - –noun 1.Psychiatry. a mental disorder characterized by systematized delusions and the projection of personal conflicts, which are ascribed to the supposed hostility of others, sometimes progressing to disturbances of consciousness and aggressive acts believed to be performed in self-defense or as a mission. 2.baseless or excessive suspicion of the motives of others
3. the belief that Pokerstars are sleeping with your wife and are looking for any possible reason to get you working on your laptop away from home.

Also, par·a·noe·a /ˌpærəˈniə/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[par-uh-nee-uh] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation.

[Origin: 1805–15; < NL < Gk paránoia madness. See para-, nous, -ia]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.
That made me lol.
AceSweaty est déconnecté   Reply With Quote