THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Site Reviews

Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:47pm   #11
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

everyone knows stars love laptops
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 25, 2008, 9:39pm   #12
Digital Poet
Brunson

Digital Poet

Chefski,

To answer your question... stars can get *certain* information from your connection information (IP address). If you are dialing in to the same ISP when you are playing remotely the they probably cannot tell the difference from their server, if you are using wireless access points then your IP will be in a different range and the server will be able to resolve the IP to a different location (IP location resolution isn't an exact science though, you can usually get the location of the ISP providing the service, nothing more).

However, the cookies you mention are a web technology and stars uses a regular native client, which means they could be doing a whole lot more. It would be technically possible for them to identify the computer you are using with the client software and send that information back to the server. So all of the identification stuff you mention is possible.

I certainly don't buy the 'rigging' claim though I am afraid. You are clearly an experienced guy, so I am not going to start quoting variance stuff (its already been said anyway). I just don't really see a clear motive for stars to be doing the sorts of things you are accusing them of. Why on earth would they want to go to the effort (extreme effort by the way, if they 'rig', no only do they have to pay developers to code the rigging code, they would probably have to bribe both the gaming commision people *and* the developers to keep the rigging quiet), just to make you suffer bad beats?

Seems like you might need to apply Occam's Razor to the problem.
Digital Poet est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:18pm   #13
KrappyKonnect
Professional

KrappyKonnect will become famous soon enough

Chefski's threads always deliver. Another good lol thread here.
KrappyKonnect est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:36pm   #14
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

You've played 227 tournaments on stars in total. This means that one of your sample sizes (one sample from each machine) must be 113 or smaller. Chances are, you have not played exactly half of your tournaments on each size on each machine, and one of your sample sizes is less than 100 even. Trying to make definitive conclusions such as "There is just no possible way that I can suffer the level of come-from-behind plays that I am experiencing. It is consistent, relentless, and statistically impossible" based on 100 (AT MOST, PROBABLY LESS) is laughable at best.

Also anothing this to address is: "but solid winning poker prevails unlike at home." Weak-tight break-even poker is not "winning poker."

To close, I'd like to post one of your examples of an "unreal" beat:

Full Tilt Poker Game #5270834407: $24,000 Guarantee (39343732), Table 46 - 150/300 Ante 25 - No Limit Hold'em - 21:51:46 ET - 2008/02/15
Seat 1: ItsMyPond (3,300)
Seat 2: merikms (4,500)
Seat 3: 52Whiz (8,070)
Seat 4: NCSUBODOG (1,055), is sitting out
Seat 5: st8779 (9,740)
Seat 6: mikeygogga (4,775)
Seat 7: RasinNet (15,790)
Seat 8: Shkn_Nt_Strd (4,495)
Seat 9: JstSumGuy (3,980)
ItsMyPond antes 25
merikms antes 25
52Whiz antes 25
NCSUBODOG antes 25
st8779 antes 25
mikeygogga antes 25
RasinNet antes 25
Shkn_Nt_Strd antes 25
JstSumGuy antes 25
mikeygogga posts the small blind of 150
RasinNet posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Shkn_Nt_Strd [Jc Js]
Shkn_Nt_Strd has 15 seconds left to act
Shkn_Nt_Strd has requested TIME
Shkn_Nt_Strd raises to 1,200
JstSumGuy folds
ItsMyPond folds
merikms folds
52Whiz folds
NCSUBODOG folds
st8779 folds
mikeygogga folds
RasinNet calls 900
*** FLOP *** [Ah Td 2d]
RasinNet checks
Shkn_Nt_Strd bets 3,270, and is all in
RasinNet calls 3,270
Shkn_Nt_Strd shows [Jc Js]
RasinNet shows [Ks As]
*** TURN *** [Ah Td 2d] [6d]
*** RIVER *** [Ah Td 2d 6d] [Kc]
Shkn_Nt_Strd shows a pair of Jacks
RasinNet shows two pair, Aces and Kings
RasinNet wins the pot (9,315) with two pair, Aces and Kings
Shkn_Nt_Strd stands up
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 9,315 | Rake 0
Board: [Ah Td 2d 6d Kc]
Seat 1: ItsMyPond folded before the Flop
Seat 2: merikms folded before the Flop
Seat 3: 52Whiz folded before the Flop
Seat 4: NCSUBODOG folded before the Flop
Seat 5: st8779 (button) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: mikeygogga (small blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 7: RasinNet (big blind) showed [Ks As] and won (9,315) with two pair, Aces and Kings
Seat 8: Shkn_Nt_Strd showed [Jc Js] and lost with a pair of Jacks
Seat 9: JstSumGuy folded before the Flop
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:51pm   #15
chefski
Grinder

chefski

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrappyKonnect View Post
Chefski's threads always deliver. Another good lol thread here.
TYVM...I'm glad I can entertain all. Next I'll tackle the JFK conspiracy debate...

But in all seriousnessessnesssesssess...it really is a variance I cannot explain. The most simple is ROI - Home - MTTs (-21%), SnGs (+25%), Away - MTTs (+ 17%) SnGs (51%). Beyond the numbers, it just has a different feel...like frigging NORMAL!! the way it should be.

I mean, just this last trip I was on, I killed for three days straight (never happens at home for any long stretch), made a lot on SnGs (cashed 60% of them - 19 in all), won an MTT and cashed others. And, it wasn't even so much that I got great cards or even super-lucky, I just did not get SO UNLUCKY, played my usual solid poker and it just seemed "normal". I was like, wow, THIS is what it's like to have good play hold up. I got the usual bad beat here and there, few suckouts, normal shit, but man...big difference.

I'm not making this shit up. The very day I get back here, I played 5 tourneys Sun., had aces busted 4 times (AA vs. JJ, AA vs. 10's, AA vs. A/10, & AA vs. 5/6s), lost a critical race of 8's vs. 6/3os to runner runner to finish on the bubble in a qualifier, and missed the Sunday million by three spots when my A/Jc lost to 9/7os on a board where he was dead to a non-club 9 or 7 to the river and gets his 9s, and lost numerous races when way ahead. And, have gone 0-5 in Sngs....all in a day. Night and Day man. I mean, five tourneys in a row yesterday, horrendous beats throughout...off the charts...all at critical times...not even close.

OK, I'll blame it on the wife...she DOES have some bad luck I must admit...hmmmmmm...? The good news is, I'm moving this weekend from San Diego to Napa sans the wife...I'll keep ya posted.

Now, about that Kennedy thing...the grassy knoll first...

Last edited by chefski; Feb 25, 2008 at 10:53pm.
chefski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:00pm   #16
b7402j
Doyle Look-alike

b7402j is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to b7402j

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceSweaty View Post
That made me lol.
+1
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:01pm   #17
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, you should have a 51% ROI in SNGs. That's pretty much normal. I really wish you would have posted in your original post that you got bad-beated out of 5 SNGs AND let along 5 MTTS...IN A ROW. This is DISGUSTING and statistically UNPOSSIBLE.
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:22pm   #18
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

I will do this 2+2 style as i've never tried it before.

[x] Stars can get your IP
[ ] You have a strong grasp of basic stats
[x] Stars can probably get your PC name
[x] Stars can tell what programs you are running (allegedly)
[ ] Lee jones is after your wife
[ ] Your sample size is HUGE
[x] You play weak (like me)
[x] You play tight (like me)
[x] Your beats are not that bad and almost not beats
[ ] You are tilting
[x] You are becoming paranoid
[x] you probably drink more at home
[ ]The responses you get are not going to change your opinion
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:35pm   #19
chefski
Grinder

chefski

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxHaX0rS View Post
Yeah, you should have a 51% ROI in SNGs. That's pretty much normal. I really wish you would have posted in your original post that you got bad-beated out of 5 SNGs AND let along 5 MTTS...IN A ROW. This is DISGUSTING and statistically UNPOSSIBLE.
And this from a guy who has played a total of 15 tourneys on Stars with his biggest cash of $3.56...?

Oh, and the one example you decided to highlight was by no means considered a bad beat in my book, just bad luck and poor play combined. You didn't show the one along with it where I flopped the boat only to get counterfeited on the river.

I only speak the truth and it is what it is.

Last edited by chefski; Feb 26, 2008 at 12:10am.
chefski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:13am   #20
realyreal
Doyle Look-alike

realyreal is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta give us some sample sizes, and the sample sizes are going to need to be pretty damn big before you can start drawing conclusions about something like SNG or MTT outcomes.

How many tourneys have you played on your laptop and how many at home? It might also be useful to post PokerEV "all-in luck" for laptop games vs. at-home games.

I strongly doubt PokerStars would bother to differentiate between machines when determining game outcomes (imagine the money they'd lose if they got caught) but I'm willing to believe anything if you've got the stats to prove it.
realyreal est déconnecté   Reply With Quote