THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 03, 2008, 3:40pm   #1
Aarron
River Rat

Aarron is on a distinguished road
Default PLO style

I'm just a rookie when it comes to PLO (or NL for that matter) so I'm curious what style do people find most effective? and what way do you cope with maniacs who raise every hand and pot every flop?
Aarron est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 03, 2008, 7:06pm   #2
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarron View Post
I'm just a rookie when it comes to PLO (or NL for that matter) so I'm curious what style do people find most effective? and what way do you cope with maniacs who raise every hand and pot every flop?
Move table?
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2008, 12:35am   #3
LimpIn
Doyle Look-alike

LimpIn will become famous soon enough

Play tight and let them hang themselves.
LimpIn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 06, 2008, 7:32pm   #4
Emain2
Doyle Look-alike

Emain2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let the maniacs do all your betting and raising, be careful that you dont start playing marginal hands to try and catch them out with a monster board though, most decent players will also start letting them bet out with crap and your hand which is probably better than the maniacs might get taken by that 3rd or 4th person who comes along for the ride and starts getting a bit frisky on the turn or river.
Emain2 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2008, 5:04am   #5
Aarron
River Rat

seems kinda obvious but it just doesn't work for me, I end up throwing away a lot of hands that could of hit big, when I try to play the hands that seem like they can hit big they don't. I can't find the perfect balance
Old Mar 09, 2008, 11:43pm   #6
expopcorn
Professional

expopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant futureexpopcorn has a brilliant future

OK - I'll expand on my earlier answer.

You can very profitably play against this sort of player. Preflop play any hands that can hit a lot of nut/nut draw hands (high pairs, Axs etc). Don't get drawn in with hands where you won't have the nuts if you hit (low straights, small pairs)

Post flop you can choose when to play a large pot. Unfortunately, the nature of Omaha is that this is high variance and the large pots will increase the size of this variance.

I don't want this if I can avoid it. Certainly at low limits you can normally find tables (at least on Party) where the win rate might be a little lower but the variance is massively lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it's rather ironic that scenes like this are best accompanied by the eating of popcorn.
expopcorn est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:37pm   #7
Aarron
River Rat

so 3 cards to a straight is fine then? like 10 j q x
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:14pm   #8
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarron View Post
so 3 cards to a straight is fine then? like 10 j q x
There is way too much nuance in omaha for this statement to be true or false.

Ideally you wand 4 cards that work together. Of course, if you get three good cards (TJQ being an example), it might be a decent or semi-playable speculative hand, but ideally you want to tack a 7 or a 9 or a k or an ace onto that TJQ. The reason for this is that the only omaha draws that are *really* powerful use four cards. A 13 card 'wrap' (which is like jt9x on a 87x board) is barely the equivalent of an OESD in hold'em, although as I said general statements in omaha can be misleading.

And it's not just straight cards that matter. Having a pocket pair and a run or three, or a run of three and a decent suit are also good hands. I can't tell you the dominance of having JJt9 against Jt92 on a 873 board. The jjt9 is freerolling the shit out of the JT92. In fact, in most of the hands I've won when its been two big draws putting it all-in on the flop, it's been because I had the freeroll cards (not because I hit my draw and my opponent missed his). The key to winning big pots is not just being on the 60% side of the 60/40, but being in freeroll spots. And freeroll spots are almost 100% dependent on you having a hand that uses all 4 cards against one that is using only the three it shares with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:18am   #9
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

Ill try to give some omaha advice ...

1. Position ... even more important in pot limit omaha then in NL holdem. There are some hands that I might three bet from the BTN that I wouldnt even want to complete the SB with

2. When you playing a connected hand with one gap recoginize that where the gap is very important.

J1097 is much better than J987
Ad9d86 is much better than Ad9d76

This is because when you flop a wrap around the key card you will be drawing to the nut straight if the gap is at the bottom of your hand

3. Understand that top two and bottom set are trap hands that will are big losers long term getting it on the flop against most players.

A hand like overpair and nutflush draw or something like top pair and some overcards + nut flush draw will perform better against your opponent range.

Ie On a Js10s6 board even though 66xx is a favourite over As9sA2
The 66 is crushed by the bigger sets, a dog to a big draw and only slightly ahead of overpair and flush draw.

The aces and flush draw is a nice favourite over other big draws and pair + draw and not in horrible shape against top set. I would even strongly prefer to have kk + second nut flush draw then top two or bottom set.

4. You should have a firm grasp on board texture so you know what boards you can profitablly C-bet. This is even more important in omaha then hold em in my opinion.

If you raise a limper and get a call from a blind you can take it down often with a C-bet on a board like K93 rainbow. It doesnt matter if you have AAxx or AK or 8765. You bet you will usually win. You can also throw double barrels with air at at K or A high dry board if your opponent is weak and would call on the flop with one pair. Even if he has two pair or bottom set its going to tough for him to continue past the turn.

If the board is KsQd10d or 9s8s7c and you C-bet (whether you have a dry AA or AK or not) your throwing money way.

Most rainbow boards are good to C-bet , most paired boards are good to C-bet. I also often bet 3-flushed flop since your only getting called if they have a flush or a set.

If the board is somewhat coordinated like KQ7 or A98. I would C-bet if I had no chance of winning at showdown and check and try to showdown cheaply if I have a very maginal hand with some showdown value like top pair or bottom two.

I think I could go on forever about what types of boards to C-bet depending on position, number of players left, game flow etc but I think this mostly comes from experience.. in my opinion this knowledge is what it takes to move past nut-mining low stakes omaha to beating mid-stake 2/4+ omaha.

In general I guess my style these days to play quite tight UTG and UTG+1 and in the blinds waiting for rundowns, aces, pairs + two connecting cards etc. And then really pound weaker players when im on the BTN and cutoff pushishing limpers and three betting really light. Then decide whether to C-bet or not on the flop depending largely on the flop texture and number of players left not really caring to much about my hand.

Eventually people play back at me with some pretty weak holdings thinking i'm somewhat crazy ... and since its omaha eventually Ill pick up the nuts or a strong draw, throw it in usually with at least 40% and a favourite a good deal more than my opponents. My style has resulted in a very decent win rate overall. Interestly I lose tons when I dont go to showdown about 3x my overall profit (over 100000 hands) and have won 4x my profit when showing down.

Last edited by joeyjoejoejr; Mar 11, 2008 at 2:20am.
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:40pm   #10
Aarron
River Rat

Thanks all, great info.

I've taken onboard all the advice, if theres complete maniacs at a table (raising and re-raising every hand to 10x the BB) I'll move table.

I'm sticking to playing tight although this doesn't seem to work very well in tournaments nore does playing loose, but then this is mainly in turbo tourneys.

cheers