THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Mar 06, 2008, 2:33pm   #1
Timbilo
Not violating T & C

Timbilo is just really niceTimbilo is just really niceTimbilo is just really niceTimbilo is just really niceTimbilo is just really nice
Default 100NL 6-max Video hand- Aces + Blocking Bets

Thought I'd offer a hand I just witnessed in someone else's video. The scenario is 100NL on Full Tilt.

UTG has $84 and is running at 21/12/1 over a 35 hand sample
Hero has $100 and is running at 33/30 over a 30 hand sample (hot run of cards, yet just made a questionable turn call a few hands earlier to erase any profit he had built)

UTG raises to $3.50
All folds to the hero in the BB who reraises to $12 with
UTG calls

~Flop~

Hero bets $14 into the $24 pot, Villian Calls

~Turn~

Hero checks, Villian checks behind

~River~

Hero contemplates and bets $15 into 50 as a blocking bet, stating he will fold if raised.

Q: Good place for a blocking bet? Does the villian really bet any of the three hands the blocking bet is designed to protect against on the river (AQ, AJ, QQ) in a 3bet pot? Personally, I'd rather blocking bet if the river wasn't that final spade, since I'd be worried about a missed draw potting it. In lieu of a blocking bet, is this a check/fold since the villian should check any hand but AQ we are beating, since the villian has showdown value with that hand?

I thought about discussing the turn check as well since I feel the hero is missing value from other pairs + a flush draw, but since I didn't play this hand I don't need to get too in-depth...
Timbilo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 06, 2008, 4:27pm   #2
imtb
Brunson

imtb is on a distinguished road

this relatively small bet on the river still gives the opponent an opportunity to bluff.... it kinda tells "...dont have the King and dont have the flush, so please bluff me...."
Old Mar 07, 2008, 12:47am   #3
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Againt an unimaginative 20/11/1 player this is good. You don't need to fear to be bluff raised off and you will get value from TT.

Whats messed up though is the flop bet size. It should be $19.

I'm also not sure about the turn check. true the K hits AK but that's about it. KK just got unlikely and QQ got more likely to stay around (cause we are less likely to have a K). I would just bet 1/2 pot on the turn for value, probably folding if raised.

And I would bet a tad more on the river, like $24

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 1:47am   #4
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
Againt an unimaginative 20/11/1 player this is good. You don't need to fear to be bluff raised off and you will get value from TT.

Whats messed up though is the flop bet size. It should be $19.

I'm also not sure about the turn check. true the K hits AK but that's about it. KK just got unlikely and QQ got more likely to stay around (cause we are less likely to have a K). I would just bet 1/2 pot on the turn for value, probably folding if raised.

And I would bet a tad more on the river, like $24
I have never heard you say "I would have bet less here, he bet too much." Is this a product of your style, or just simply because people in general size their bets way too small? Obviously your betting works for you, as you make money, so I'm curious. I would tend to bet larger than $14 on the flop, but I'd doubt I'd bet half the pot on the turn and river. Is this hurting me?
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2008, 2:20am   #5
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay06 View Post
people in general size their bets way too small
yep that's it. There are times when people bet too much, but in general when you bet you want to get value or you want to bluff, and you usually can't bet too much for either purpose; or at least most of the time betting too little is far worse than betting too much.

Although there are some spots when your bet sizes should be rather small than large. One of those spots is when you get towards allin territory on a dry board. Another one would be when the board is extremely wet and your opponent seems weak, in that case you should bet small both for value and as a bluff.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote