THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 09, 2008, 4:56pm   #1
Loder89
Gambler

Loder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant future
Default Top two Pair

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

CO: $13.35
BTN: $19.95
SB: $15.85
BB: $25
UTG: $21.45
Hero (MP): $25.90

Pre-Flop: K T dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds, SB raises to $0.50, BB folds, UTG calls $0.25, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.75) T 7 K (3 Players)
SB checks, UTG bets $2.75, Hero calls $2.75, SB folds

Turn: ($7.25) 3 (2 Players)
UTG bets $3.75, Hero calls $3.75

River: ($14.75) 4 (2 Players)
UTG bets $3.25, Hero calls $3.25

Results: $21.25 Pot ($1 Rake)
UTG showed 8 K (a pair of Kings) and LOST (-$10.25 NET)
Hero showed K T (two pair, Kings and Tens) and WON $20.25 (+$10 NET)

This was one of my first hands at the table. The table had a very high average pot and high VPIPs. The villain is a LAG donk.
I am actually not sure about my play. He massively overbetted on the flop that's why I just smooth called. Then he fires two more relatively big bets. Was calling down the right play or should I raise somewhere in the hand?
I thought about raising but I was really a bit afraid of a set since the board wasn't drawy or something.
Loder89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 09, 2008, 5:49pm   #2
jimmytrick
Professional

jimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nicejimmytrick is just really nice

Yeah, you should raise this hand. Any street.

jimmytrick est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 6:00pm   #3
RAU4ever
Flop Artist

RAU4ever is on a distinguished road

I'd analyse it as follows (and perhaps thanks to this I'd play it worse than you):

The overbet on the flop indicates to me that he probably doesn't have something as strong as a set. There are a few straightdraws possible, but it's not so drawheavy that you would want to bet someone out of the pot like this. Moreover, he's UTG, so perhaps he would even have slowplayed or check-raised the set.
So, that would leave a semi-bluf or a protective bet of a weak TP (perhaps easy for me to say as you've showed the end of the hand).
I think a call and re-evaluate on the turn is the right move.

The turn-bet is a weak bet. Only a little bit more than his flopbet and this time only aprox 1/2 potsized. He would have bet more if he had a set. A $5-$6 is likely as it would leave a potsized all-in on the river. The semi-bluf is still possible, as he would get some odds by betting only 1/2 pot.
I think I'd raise the turn and evaluate his bet as a weak bet (perhaps to prevent you floating him).

On the river no draws hit, so you have the best hand as long as your opponent doesn't have the set. He bets extremely weak, even less than on the turn. A pls-call-me-bet? I don't think so: a failed draw won't call anything, so he would have bet more. I'd raise for sure.

That's what I would do, but you'd rather hope for a better player to answer this than me.
RAU4ever est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 6:13pm   #4
Loder89
Gambler

Loder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant futureLoder89 has a brilliant future

I really hate the hand! I don't think I can raise the flop...
The turn and river bets seemed very strange too me and I really thought they cried: "Please raise it up!" I actually called a total overbet on the flop so if I were the villain I would think that I am probably strong. So let's bet out small on the next street and he will raise it up and I can get it in.
Loder89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 6:54pm   #5
bluelips
Grinder

bluelips is on a distinguished road

Loder, I think you're overanalyzing your opponent here!

His betsizing clearly indicates that he's a donk and you should just raise for value. Flop call is ok, but i'd definitely raise both turn and river

lol bloggaments
bluelips est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 6:59pm   #6
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

wow wtf

2 more big bets ?!

Thats one the the weakest hand Ive seen in a long while.How is a 1/5 PSB big by any standard ?
Since when you want to pot control against an aggro donk with top 2?

Read all strategy articles here, your poker is probably lacking a LOT of very concepts, like raising non nuts hands for value, or lag donks cant have a set when you have top 2.

Last edited by Gus; Mar 09, 2008 at 7:04pm.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 7:06pm   #7
KHSPoker21
Pirate

KHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of lightKHSPoker21 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to KHSPoker21

Raise, Raise, Raise, Raise, Raise, Raise.

I know I just said Raise 6 Streets and there's only 4, but I wanted you to get the point.
Old Mar 09, 2008, 7:07pm   #8
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loder89 View Post
I really hate the hand! I don't think I can raise the flop...
The turn and river bets seemed very strange too me and I really thought they cried: "Please raise it up!" I actually called a total overbet on the flop so if I were the villain I would think that I am probably strong. So let's bet out small on the next street and he will raise it up and I can get it in.
sorry man but every words of this are so wrong it made me when to cry when I read them.

The only reason you ''''''cant'''''' raise flop is because you look very strong, not because he can have a set. VERY rare are the players overbetting flops with sets lol. like never.
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2008, 10:40pm   #9
imtb
Brunson

imtb is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
sorry man but every words of this are so wrong it made me when to cry when I read them.
yeah lodder go hit the wall <-----is that rigth guys?

Last edited by imtb; Mar 10, 2008 at 1:19am.
imtb est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:03am   #10
Pandacowl
River Rat

Pandacowl is on a distinguished road

I would definitely agree with the people above. You played the hand way too passively. The way he was raising he probably had top pair with a good kicker. You could have made a lot more money off of him
Pandacowl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote