THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:01am   #1
Such A Card
Flop Artist

Such A Card is on a distinguished road
Default Report on my first day playing for money

Well, today I put some money in my Poker Stars account. I had never played poker for money outside of a few rinky-dink home games (5 cent/10 cent games).

Today I played 160 hands at $0.25/$0.50 Limit Hold 'em and I'm in the black by $17.30. Yeah I know, only one day, only 160 hands blah blah. I'm encouraged though since I don't even think I am that good. I've been studying Miller's book and have only really gotten through the pre-flop section of it. My post flop game probably sucks. I understand counting outs and matching them with pot odds, but I'm not so good at counting them all up in the short amount of time they give you to decide your move. Other than that I just do the best I can post-flop and reason it through the best I can.

The 3rd hand I was got was pocket 8's. The 5th hand I got 2 aces in the hole. After that, it was a mix of good and bad luck with one really good run where I was pulling AK, AQs, shit like that for 5 hands in a row and took 4 pots that way.

The worst beating I took was when I had a set of 8s and lost it to a backdoor straight draw.

I'm starting to like this and can't wait to get better at this game.

Stats:

160 hands played and saw flop:
- 4 times out of 18 while in small blind (22%)
- 16 times out of 18 while in big blind (89%)
- 33 times out of 124 in other positions (27%)
- a total of 53 times out of 160 (33%)

Pots won at showdown - 14 out of 19 (74%)
Pots won without showdown - 8

I've only put up a few posts on this site, but the times I have, I have gotten very good advice, so thanks to pokertips.org for the help!
Such A Card est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:33am   #2
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

You must have played awfully bad to lose 35 BB with 74% of showdown won.

I would advise to stop folding
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:42am   #3
Gerrit2002
Banned

Gerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb47 View Post

I would advise to stop folding
I would say he ran pretty good to win 74% Showdowns when going to Showdown more the one third of the time he saw a flop.

Also winning 35BB in 160 hands (roughly 20BB/100) is a total upswing for FL...

@Such a card: Nice start but dont believe it will go on like this. You will run OK for the level if You can maintain 1/10 of this winrate in the longrun...
Gerrit2002 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 6:44am   #4
zolaboy
will invade Europe.

zolaboy has a spectacular aura aboutzolaboy has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Such A Card View Post
Today I played 160 hands at $0.25/$0.50 Limit Hold 'em and I'm in the black by $17.30.
Quote:
I don't always understand the European humor, so I don't know if you were joking or misunderstood. In the black means he won. Nice work, Such, the most valuable piece I can give you (mostly b/c I've spent 2+ years ignoring it) is: never stop learning. Never be happy with your knowledge and skill. Always try to get better.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:23am   #5
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47

Oh yeah it makes sense now, I assumed in the black meant being down.

Winning 74% of Showdown is generally pretty fishy, of course he might have run hot but its generally pretty bad.

Are you playing 6 max or full table ? if full table you play too many hands imo.

Also I dont see how you know he went to a showdown 33% of the time he saw the flop though gerrit, the 33% is the number of time he saw a flop.

Anyway good job, dont take into consideration my first comment I didnt realized you were up and not down.

Also if you sustain over 55% (might even be 50% at those stakes) you are folding too much.
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:35am   #6
Gerrit2002
Banned

Gerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud ofGerrit2002 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Also I dont see how you know he went to a showdown 33% of the time he saw the flop though gerrit, the 33% is the number of time he saw a flop.
He saw the Flop 53 times (out of his 160 hands). He won 14 out of 19 showdowns. Do the math

I think going to showdown 1/3 of the time he saw a flop is quite OK but on the other hand I am not a FL expert so maybe this could be too low. Anyways he also won 8 Pots without a showdown and I guess some of them were also postflop. So I think 19 showdowns and some winnigns postflop without a showdown when seeing 53 flops is quite ok. Winning 74% of the showdowns is just a big upswing... Same with 20BB/100...
Gerrit2002 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 5:34pm   #7
ssta
Doyle Look-alike

ssta will become famous soon enoughssta will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit2002 View Post
He saw the Flop 53 times (out of his 160 hands). He won 14 out of 19 showdowns. Do the math

I think going to showdown 1/3 of the time he saw a flop is quite OK but on the other hand I am not a FL expert so maybe this could be too low. Anyways he also won 8 Pots without a showdown and I guess some of them were also postflop. So I think 19 showdowns and some winnigns postflop without a showdown when seeing 53 flops is quite ok. Winning 74% of the showdowns is just a big upswing... Same with 20BB/100...
The sample is way too small to say anything about whether his WTSD and W$SD are good or bad. Similarly, if he was winning 75% at showdown, he was either running very hot or not calling down enough.

As a rough guide (with a HUGE variance between different player types obviously) WTSD of about 40% or so is 'normal' and about 50% or so W$SD.

WTSD of very much less (say 30%) and you're probably being bluffed off hands you should be showing down, Very much more (say 55%) and you're calling too much.

This is all "in general" and really only applies after a sample of 10k hands minimum. 160 hands, it could mean anything. The stats really say nothing that can be meaningfully inferred except "ran pretty well "

Also note that this changes massively depending on how you play. And the opponents you play against. The looser the opponents the lighter you can profitably call down for example.

Good luck with it

Last edited by ssta; Apr 28, 2008 at 5:36pm.
ssta est déconnecté   Reply With Quote