THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 07, 2008, 10:32pm   #1
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road
Default Dark matter my ass

I saw a documentary on dark matter today. The reason why astronomists claim there is dark matter is that the laws of gravity are not strong enough to keep solar-systems and galaxies together.

When I watched the documentary, I thought to myself that "can´t you just change the laws of gravity so it fits instead of suggesting something as far out as a matter you can´t see, feel, touch etc.?".

At the end of the documentary a scientist suggested that very thing and has altered the laws of gravity so it fits. Shortly after this gentleman was introduced, the documentary ended because it consists of several episodes.

So we have a choice in what to believe in: An undetectable matter or that the laws of gravity are flawed.

Well, scientists have claimed the existence of a similar convinient particle before regarding light in some way, and Einstein debunked that one. And Einstein has also corrected the laws of gravity before.

It is obvious that dark matter is bullshit.

Come on, astronomists. First you claim there is such a thing as a random law of physics (quantum mechanics), and now you invent a crazy thing instead of tweaking an old law somewhat.

I guess astronomists are just like the rest of us, incompetant idiots.

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...og-theory.html
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.

Last edited by Lord Mushroom; Dec 08, 2008 at 4:19am.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2008, 12:06am   #2
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Now you are an astrophysicist?

Maybe you should watch the next episode at least, huh? Then feel free to get mad because you know more than astronomers.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 12:24am   #3
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
Now you are an astrophysicist?

Maybe you should watch the next episode at least, huh? Then feel free to get mad because you know more than astronomers.
Wow, you are really looking for a fight nowadays. I might bite, but you will have to dangle the bait better than that.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 2:36am   #4
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

To be fair, though, I think this is a field where a good amount of expertise is necessary in order to partake of the conversation intelligently -- and I am saying this as an outsider, looking in (in other words, I make no claims to expertise).
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 6:16am   #5
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

stars shine cause they have a twinkle and I often wonder what they are
Up above the world so high

Like a diamond in the sky?

I R goud astroturfalogister!
<Ozone> I dunno... fuckin' poker
<Kc>this one is much closer to good advice but still introduces some unnecessary shortcuts across the grass for us to cover our boots in dog shit.
ggnh est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 9:07am   #6
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
To be fair, though, I think this is a field where a good amount of expertise is necessary in order to partake of the conversation intelligently -- and I am saying this as an outsider, looking in (in other words, I make no claims to expertise).
I don't really see how this branch of physics really is any harder to understand or partake in than any other.
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:26pm   #7
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom View Post
Well, scientists have claimed the existence of a similar convinient particle before regarding light in some way, and Einstein debunked that one.
I request further explanation of this point (I think you're mistaken but I want to understand exactly what you're saying first)
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:38pm   #8
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Nice Post LM,
It's funny, i posted something very similar in a different forum. For those of you with way too much time on your hands:
http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/v...10093&p=110163

You may want to look into the MOND theory on wikipedia or something. To me, it makes more sense, but I'm no physist, so what do I know.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:56pm   #9
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mushroom View Post
It is obvious that dark matter is bullshit.
Thousands of people have worked for centuries to try and understand the inticacies of the universe and, as Stephen Hawking once said, "To know the mind of God".

I appreciate you taking the time to further this serious academic debate with your well reasoned and mathematically sound argument.
Old Dec 08, 2008, 2:18pm   #10
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
I request further explanation of this point (I think you're mistaken but I want to understand exactly what you're saying first)
He's right on this point. It had been known since Newton and Huygen's experiments in the 1600's that light behaved like a wave but nobody knew what it was a wave of. They assumed, like sound travelling through air, that it had to have a medium to propogate in. "Ether" was introduced (actually by the Greeks much earlier) as some mysterious thing that existed everywhere that light could travel through. The theory was that the speed of light would be different if measured in the direction of travel of the Earth through the ether much like you have a Doppler effect for sound when travelling through air. Michelson and Morely conducted an experiment and showed the the speed of light was independent of direction, which killed the ether concept.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote