THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Dec 03, 2008, 2:19am   #1
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough
Default Fish I felted said he was going to kill himself

From the way he was talking it definitely sounded like he was serious, mentioning that he just lost his food money. I tried to talk him out of it by telling him about times I've lost big and always felt better in a couple days. I definitely don't want someone killing himself and from a purely financial perspective its not good for business when your customers kill themselves.

I never got why some poker players would strongly advocate fish to do whatever it takes to get money in the short-term to the point that they'd lose everything or kill themselves. Some even seemingly thinking your customers getting into so much trouble that they'd commit suicide as a good thing. Not only is it morally wrong, its wrong from a business perspective. You want your customers to continually working so they can provide you with a steady income. Your customers spending all their disposable income is ideal, once they start skimping on food and essentials its bad. (at this point it really hurts their careers, you want them advancing and getting raises instead of losing their jobs) Hoping that they'd spend all their income is moronic. It means them skipping their rent and losing their ability to give you money is -EV for everyone. You want them spending as much as possible without hurting their ability to give you money in the future.

Its like when Black Africans were given control of white settlers farms. They immediately took apart the irrigation system and sold it for scrap metal. Needless to say farm production dropped significantly. Or if a dairy farmer offered you to take his only cow or give you a lot of his milk that he would produce. If he does the second he'll be able to buy another cow when the first dies, the first he obviously won't.

One argument people make is that it their is no guarntee that they will gamble their future incomes. The fact is people who would gamble to the point of losing everything are serious compulsive gamblers and will always gamble heavy. Unless they go and get help which mainly happens when they hit rock bottom.

It was a little distracting at the time, the subject matter some, more that any conversation can be when your multitabling. The other pros sitting out left once he started talking about suicide. Once he left I went back to playing fine. Looking back on it gives me a weird feeling, almost a little spooky. I feel bad for him, but their millions of people starving in Africa that deserve sympathy as well and hundred of millions that are also going through really rough times. I don't feel guilty if someone is wondering.

Last edited by KS_Perfection; Dec 03, 2008 at 2:51am.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 03, 2008, 4:17am   #2
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

It may have been a ploy for you to give him his money back.

You also cannot control those circumstances. He put his money up and put it a risk.

You can suggest something to him like before killing himself try selling all you have left, moving to a tropical island and find a simple job like bartending, and enjoy the great weather and bathing beauties. If that isn't a life worth living in your eyes then kill yourself only after such an experience.

It's worth a try.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 6:31am   #3
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

If I believed him, I'd feel sorry for him, but not guilty in the least. I mean, if he's honestly that self-destructive, there's nothing anybody can do.

I agree with killing the goose that laid the golden egg, though.
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 6:40am   #4
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
It may have been a ploy for you to give him his money back.

You also cannot control those circumstances. He put his money up and put it a risk.

You can suggest something to him like before killing himself try selling all you have left, moving to a tropical island and find a simple job like bartending, and enjoy the great weather and bathing beauties. If that isn't a life worth living in your eyes then kill yourself only after such an experience.

It's worth a try.
True that. Anyone should be able to find happiness in a life like that.
kmay06 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 7:14am   #5
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

good post

I typically chat to motivate the fish.

Btw, when they whine they lost $1000, you should not respond with "so what, I lost $2000 today". You should show sympathy and tell them what they wanna hear.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 8:12am   #6
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Should have threatened to kill him if he didn't reload imo.

No, seriously though, if this guy is sitting at the table with his food money there's something wrong with him on so many fundamental levels that I'd be hard pressed to really feel sorry for the guy.

Also, good post Axis.

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 9:34am   #7
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Odds are he was just tilting or trying a sob story to get his money back.

If he really was going to kill himself, I doubt he would whine about it in chat first.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 2:26pm   #8
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
good post

I typically chat to motivate the fish.

Btw, when they whine they lost $1000, you should not respond with "so what, I lost $2000 today". You should show sympathy and tell them what they wanna hear.
Yeah, I wanted to do those 2 things, but Im really bad at it and wasn't sure how to do it. I am smart enough to leave out the So What part. After mentioning big loses I mentioned how it sucks but I feel better after a couple days. I don't play the next day after big loses as I think about how much I lost and the small regular pots seem insignificant. The next day Im fine.

Show the right amount of sympathy is hard, I don't want say "Yeah, your life totally blows".

Quote:
Odds are he was just tilting or trying a sob story to get his money back.

If he really was going to kill himself, I doubt he would whine about it in chat first.
Could have. I can't imagine anyone ever giving their money back to someone online. I would have given him my canned food that I can never see myself eating if I could.

You might be right about the second, but I really have no idea about the tendencies of people who are suicidal. If someone wants to talk about it first but doesn't want them calling the police or physically trying to stop them talking online with unknowns is the best way. Even if it was like 90% whinning and just a 10% chance of someone killing themselves it is still pretty big.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 4:43pm   #9
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

If he's broke then he's no good to you anymore anyway. .lvl.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2008, 5:06pm   #10
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Perfection View Post
Even if it was like 90% whinning and just a 10% chance of someone killing themselves it is still pretty big.
You're not culpable but I imagine the site takes some responsibility here. What I would do is email his details to support and get them to take whatever action they deem appropriate. Sure he might be FOS and you might lose a complete donator, but there are plenty more losing players out there who will give you their money and do you really need to be second guessing yourself when you play him?