German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Dec 08, 2008, 12:32am   #21
Poker Prodigy
Brunson

Poker Prodigy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Perfection View Post
You could get him to think that you have a lawyer and are going to sue. That way he might figure out the same thing you know. That the lawyer fees are greater than the amount in question.

Why can't you take it to small claims court or something?
This has become more than a money issue. He has broken the law. What he has done is theft. He should be punished. I am getting the paper work ready and getting it ready to send it to my lawyer. I don't care how much it costs me to see him go to jail. Even if he were to pay me back, i'd still convict him of grand theft.
Poker Prodigy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2008, 12:40am   #22
jds2381
Professional

jds2381 will become famous soon enough

doesnt 'grand' theft have to be over a certain amount? idk
jds2381 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:39am   #23
cobalt
Professional

cobalt has a spectacular aura aboutcobalt has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cobalt Send a message via Skype™ to cobalt

Yeah dude, it's not grand theft, I don't think. Also, you'll be lucky to get a settlement, much less some sort of jail time. Lastly, not a big fan of cutting off your nose to spite your face.
cobalt est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 2:21am   #24
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

Grand Theft is over 5k. Its not theft, its breach of contract.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 2:33am   #25
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

go to jail for 500$ ? wake up man! No way, seriously
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 8:41am   #26
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Grand Theft is over 5k. Its not theft, its breach of contract.
In most states it $400+.

Quote:
go to jail for 500$ ? wake up man! No way, seriously
They send people to prison over less than that all the time, but not in a place like New York city. If you're overdraw at your bank for a few hundred you could be in prison in a few months where I'm living-it all depends where you're living.

Quote:
This has become more than a money issue. He has broken the law. What he has done is theft. He should be punished. I am getting the paper work ready and getting it ready to send it to my lawyer. I don't care how much it costs me to see him go to jail. Even if he were to pay me back, i'd still convict him of grand theft.
You were swindled out of about $1,400 or $500 actually, no doubt by an evil person who does deserve punishment. Evil is not just about how one acts to the innocent, but about how one retaliates when wronged. Think about what you're doing. Your anger is taking you to a dark place. $500 (or $1,400) does not equal 20 years of someones life or even one year. What you want is terror not justice and hiding behind the law does not make your own evil any less evil-indeed if the law is your conscience you have no conscience!

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:29pm   #27
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Its not theft, its breach of contract.
This. and it is totally not worth your time. Seriously, let it go.

Also as a life lesson, anyone that has some onlline poker experience and needs to be staked for $25NL can't beat $25NL.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 1:59pm   #28
KS_Perfection
Professional

KS_Perfection will become famous soon enough

He didn't steal the 1500, he just didn't give it to you like he was suppose to. They might not seem like a big difference but in legal terms it is huge. The first is criminal and can lead to jail time, the second is civil and cannot.

Look into small claims court, maybe you could go onto Judge Judy or something.

Quote:
Also as a life lesson, anyone that has some onlline poker experience and needs to be staked for $25NL can't beat $25NL.
They might be able to beat it, but have no concept of BR management.

A bigger question is why don't they just reload with their own money. I know that is what I'd do, no way would I want to give away 1/2 my earnings for a month. Nothing else I could do with my money to approach that ROI.
KS_Perfection est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 6:54pm   #29
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

I don't know what the criminal law implications are, but it is almost certainly not 'theft', since you gave him the money. It *might* be considered fraud or larceny, but it would depend entirely on the statutes in his jurisdiction (and whether there are any interstate/international transaction issues - lol go after him for RICO maybe? )

Considering you don't even know where he is, who he is, etc. you're going to have difficulty getting a criminal charge laid, let alone actually trying to see it through to a conviction. I'm sure the police will just tell you to go home if you report this. Also, do be careful that you haven't yourself broken any laws, because there are jurisdictions where playing poker online is actually a crime, and if he's in one of those jurisdictions, you might actually end up getting yourself into trouble (lol RICO for you maybe?). And if you think you might have broken a law, you need to seek legal advice.

Seriously, drop this or go to 2+2 with it. Go to a lawyer for the legal issues, but don't go running to the police without getting legal advice first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2008, 8:00pm   #30
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Quote:
A bigger question is why don't they just reload with their own money. I know that is what I'd do, no way would I want to give away 1/2 my earnings for a month. Nothing else I could do with my money to approach that ROI.
There could be legit reasons for this (difficulties depositing, change in circumstances resulting in extremely low disposable income, extreme risk aversion)
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote