THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > Poker Stories

Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:11pm   #1
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs
Default Finally overcoming TILT.

Can you point to a specific time you were first able to control tilt after a ridiculous beat? I think it happened to me for the first time ever in about 4 years of poker. Admittedly I am a snapshow when stupid shit happens. Not really the "pick the keyboard up, turn it sideways and bitchslap it through the monitor type". I've never actually broken anything but I do get right pissed off with the best of them.

Today I sat down at a .50/1 table (normal game for me) and watched about 15-20 hands to get an idea of the table. It was a wicked soft limpfestival. People limping in and stacking off with top or 2nd pair or even overcards. I decided I was going to play tight and mostly late position or cheap blinds. After about 15 hands I hit a set of 4's on the button of A49 rainbow with I think 3 limpers and the blinds. It's checked to me but I bet 3/4 pot figuring there has to be some Ace/rag out there figuring he's slowplaying the nuts. Sure enough I get reraised all in for about $25 only, I call and he has 3/5o UTG limped! River 2....thanks! (Read hidden bad beat story ) but anyway.....

Normally that's good for a desk smash, door punch, stomp to the fridge for a beer, and stare down the dog for looking at me the wrong way, and tilt off 3 more buy-ins. But today, for some reason, I chuckled to myself, laughed at the whole deal, and typed nothing but 'NH'. I KNEW based on my homework of the table and actually paying more attention to the game and realizing I want the guy to push with 3/5o that I was going to make it hand over fist today barring anymore bullshit. 1 1/2 hours later the wife came home so I quit with a tidy $150 profit and no huge monster hands to attribute it to...just general bleeding and gutting of fish and I think mostly attributed to playing positional poker which made most of my decisions very easy.

All in all, I have realized today that some tips for overcoming tilt (which I know is nothing new) is:

1. Realize that you want the guy to call/push you with shit cards, don't get mad at him, encourage him to keep doing so.
2. When something stupid happens, everyone says to take a break, but honestly how many people do? Probably not the majority. So...if you are not going to walk away, and you are going to reload, I think it is even more important than normal to play in position. Your decisions should be clearer even though you might be steaming a bit.
strewgs est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:30am   #2
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Waiting, Waiting, Waiting for 1st MTT win. Will it ever come?
Based on your post : NO
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 4:00am   #3
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Seb is very helpful like always. I'd tell my set of twos in Aruba story again but everyone's heard it.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:21am   #4
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Multi-tabling helps to reduce tilt a lot-that because one suck out will not ruin your session. People do quit when tilting-I quit of 3 weeks after a bad down swing. Individual suck outs have not made me tilt since my first month of play.

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:34pm   #5
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb47 View Post
Based on your post : NO

Based on your post: YOU'RE A DOUCHEBAG
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:39pm   #6
strewgs
Doyle Look-alike

strewgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggle View Post
Individual suck outs have not made me tilt since my first month of play.
You still must give it the obligitory "give me a fucking break already" even if to nobody but yourself. No?
Old Dec 15, 2008, 5:48pm   #7
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewgs View Post
You still must give it the obligitory "give me a fucking break already" even if to nobody but yourself. No?
I can honestly say that one or two hands going wrong no longer have any effect on me.

It really takes a quick barrage of 4-5 of them to get me on edge but by then you're probably best off quitting the sesison anyway since it's not going your way and you're most likely at least semi-tilting, neither of which are components of a solid session.

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2008, 8:22pm   #8
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I don't let results bother me anymore while playing. I come to the forums to whine about a bad session, but I never let it affect my decision making anymore.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:13am   #9
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
I don't let results bother me anymore while playing. I come to the forums to whine about a bad session, but I never let it affect my decision making anymore.
Same here, I try to play as seriously as I can and just get it off my system by posting random stuff on forums.

Of course most people do the opposite, spend a lot of time about doing the perfect post and do very little effort to play well
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 9:14am   #10
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

I'm reasonably ok now at avoiding tilt as a result of a suck out; probably the single biggest thing I've learnt through reading/forum membership is point 1. at the end of the o/p

Quote:
1. Realize that you want the guy to call/push you with shit cards, don't get mad at him, encourage him to keep doing so.
What puts me on edge is beating myself up over something stupid I have done. Many a time I've thrown the towel in when, but for a single stupid play, I've been comfortable and winning - and it's not stupid plays with shit hands, it's stupid plays with 2nd or 3rd best hands which are overplayed.

Avoiding tilt because of things that I can't control is a piece of piss compared with avoiding tilt of my own making.......
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote